PDA

View Full Version : OTTB Prospect Critique, please!

Heinz 57
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
I've run across an OTTB locally that I'd like to get some opinions on.

Toking Dirty is a 2007 model, 16.3 according to the seller. He's not currently running but I believe only came off the track a few weeks ago. Either way, the story is that he wasn't agressive enough and is a bit timid with other horses - says he had great work times but wouldn't run in company.

Pedigree buffs can check him out:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/toking+dirty

I haven't gotten a decent conformation shot of him from the seller. He's about an hour and a half from me, so I'm not exactly going to jaunt down the road and snap my own.

Here's what I *do* have:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/tokin.jpg

I know its not much. Any and all thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

EquineRacers
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:52 PM
Your right that is a hard photo to judge by. It does look as though his feet are long and will throw off his conformation, so keep that in mind. From what I can see he looks good. Not sure about the 16.3hh thing, most people arn't very good a judging height and say they are taller then they are.

If you are a serious buyer, I'd drive down there, with a trailer, take a look at him and if you like him take him home so you wont have to make another trip down. You have to really see him in person.

Equine Adhesive
Jan. 22, 2010, 05:01 PM
Small world...my friend showed that horse to me, and she said the owner said he was on the track more like 6 months ago. I think he looks cute but not much can be told from the photo, plus he is so young he probably has a lot of growing left to do! :)

Heinz 57
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:43 PM
It was a guess on the recently OTT thing, Equine Adhesive - the owner I'm in contact with says she's only had him three weeks (selling due to financial emergency). I didn't inquire as to when his last race was, or who the trainer was (something I'd definitely like to know before buying).

He's cute, I was looking at him as a possible longer-term resale project because he's big and flashy if the height is accurate. The timing is a little off for us but his price is low - I might be able to find an extra pasture to throw him (or my mare) in for a few months. At his age, I'd be inclined to throw him out to pasture until he's a little more grown up anyway. There's always the possibility that he'd make a good personal horse in a year or two, as well.

I hate that name, BTW. I know "Toking" is supposed to be pronounced "talking", but all I can think of is toking, as in smoking weed! And that takes me back to Steve Miller Band's 'The Joker', which is now stuck in my head! (And I'd wonder what dirty toking is....)

Equine Adhesive
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:01 PM
I think he is very cute and definitely worth going to look at, especially if you can just throw him in a pasture for a bit. I would want more history on him, too, though- you'd be amazed at how much can go wrong at the track by age 3, sadly. :-(
I think my friend was not going to look into it b/c she said she wants something she can work with now. Best of luck and let us know what happens! :)

Heinz 57
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
I hear you on that. If I didn't have a coming 5yo already in my barn to ride, I wouldn't look either. Depending on his actual birth date he's probably not even technically 3 just yet. At this point, I don't have time to ride two horses full time - I work a regular 40 hour/week job and we're hauling out to a local arena to ride right now (new barn/arena will be built this spring!). Once the arena is up, it'll be much easier.

With an asking price of $600, I can't help but think about it! He's up in Hockinson but I have some connections in Vancouver that may have pasture to lease on the cheap...

Cammie
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:18 PM
If you go to www.equibase.com and enter the horse's name in the bottom left search box his racing info will come up. You can also watch his races for a fee, but I wouldn't bother in this case!

He's run twice, on 12/16/09 and 1/6/10, both times at Portland Meadows. His last recorded workout was 12/28/09. He raced on Bute and Lasix, and wore blinkers in both starts. He came in last and second to last, both races were 5 1/2 furlong $5000 maiden claimers. His trainer was Jonathan Nance, and he was owned by Nance, Floyd, Smith and Hartwick Farms.

His pedigree is on this link- he's a CA-bred, born May 14, 2007.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=8072317

HeyJealousy
Jan. 22, 2010, 11:57 PM
He raced on Bute and Lasix, and wore blinkers in both starts.

It's illegal to run on Bute.

Equine Adhesive
Jan. 23, 2010, 01:54 AM
Wow, not the story my friend told me she got!!!

I would still go look at him, with his price so low, leaves more $ for a thorough vetting if price is an issue (3 y/o's cost more given how much time they need, lol)

findeight
Jan. 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
For 600? I'd go look IF it was less then a couple of hours away.

BUT...pic is a really bad angle however he may have a really steep croup and you would need to be careful with that on a resale in anything over fences. Usually means the hocks are set too far back and a weak back end that limits potential and future performance over fences. Cannot tell though for sure.

Maybe find somebody to go with you who has picked them up like this. Right off the track, no trial and no PPE (for 600 it would triple your cost) is an art. Maybe see if you can find somebody on the backside who knows the horse for clues to trainability and temperment.

This one appears attractive enough. Good color, cute white trim. Just don't end up with a walking vet bill trying to find a cheap prospect.

With the others in doubting he is 16.3 and the Mr P there close is a bit of a question. Either very good or erratic jerks, we had a thread on that very issue over in Hunterland recently-alot are not very big either.

Go look. But be careful.

Cammie
Jan. 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
Bute is legal in Oregon racing, but with restrictions. It has to be reported when the horse is entered that its been treated with Bute or another NSAID the day before the race. Its in the horse's racing chart, that's what the capital B stands for under the M/E line.

From the Oregon Racing Commission on NSAIDs-

(C) Not to exceed the following permitted serum or plasma threshold concentrations which are consistent with administration by a single intravenous injection not less than 24 hours before the post time for the race in which the horse is entered:

(i) Phenylbutazone (or its metabolite oxyphenylbutazone) — 5 micrograms per milliliter;

(ii) Flunixin — 50 nanograms per milliliter;

(iii) Ketoprofen — 10 nanograms per milliliter.

(D) These or any other NSAID are prohibited to be administered within the 24-hours before the original post time for the race in which the horse is entered;

(E) The presence of more than one of the three approved NSAIDs in serum or plasma is not permitted in a race day sample; however, the presence of two approved NSAIDs in a race day sample is allowed if one of them is phenylbutazone with a serum or plasma concentration less than one microgram per milliliter (mcg/ml).