PDA

View Full Version : 17 yo Pony with diarhea for a week

Arcadien
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:15 PM
Posting this for a friend, she called me this morning worrying about their 17 yr old pony who has been suffering from diarrhea for a week.

Vet has been out, pulled blood (said some counts were 'low' but to be expected with days of diarrhea), did fecal count (normal), other vitals normal.

Vet prescribed Pepto, pony has been getting doses of extra strength every 6 hours for 3 days now - some improvement but not cured.

No change in grain (pellets) or hay (pony has been getting cubes).

I suggested gradually adding some regular, mild timothy hay, as I don't have much experience (good or bad) with the cubes... but don't know if that would make any difference, as she's been getting the cubes for awhile and was fine on them.

Anyone have any other ideas? I don't know how long the poor pony can suffer from this without other complications, or how long they can safely dose with Pepto. Not to mention her elderly owners are getting worn out from the regime & the worry! The pony is just a pasture pet, but has been very well looked after.

Any thoughts or advice will be passed on, much appreciated.

Arcadien
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry I meant to post this in Horse Care - can someone who knows how move it? I can't seem to figure out how to do that :winkgrin:

AppJumpr08
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'd think about Power Packing, if the vet thought the pony's system could handle it... fecals don't always tell the whole story.

goeslikestink
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
sometimes horses and ponies dont go past the sell by date 17 can be old fr some and young for others it could be many things, but at the same token you always got to think of things that are beyond our control, and iam not saying that to be horrible but if the ponies scouring then more than likely somethig going you cant see - if otherwise healthy and no changes to whatever
so be prepared for the just in case hopefully be ok, but there for your matey

Sugarbrook
Jan. 22, 2010, 05:22 PM
How about SAND?? It causes diarrhea. We deal with it because of all the sand in Florida. Frankly I would not be using Pepto for the diarrhea, but Kaopectate.

Vandy
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
Assuming that sand has been ruled out if vet has done a fecal?

A few questions - are the cubes soaked or dry? What are the pony's teeth like? I have a 41 year old pony who had chronic diarrhea about 5 years ago. After numerous vet consults, we discovered her teeth couldn't chew hay thoroughly enough for normal digestion and additionally, her geriatric digestive tract was unable to function properly, causing the diarrhea. Changing her over from timothy hay to SOAKED cubes fixed this - no way she could have handled digesting cubes without soaking to a soup-like consistency. This also helped to get her rehydrated from the diarrhea, and continues to keep her hydrated five years later - she's not a great water drinker but will happily slurp up her cube soup. She also had some sand, which we double dosed her with psyllium to clear. Also probiotics. We also soak her senior pellets - after one choke episode a few years ago, it became clear that EVERYTHING that went into this pony needed soaking.

You or your friend are welcome to PM me for more info - I spent $$$$ on vetwork for this pony and would be happy to share what that got me :lol: As someone else mentioned, this pony could be "geriatric" at 17, and IME a lot of vets don't take common age-related issues into consideration if they don't have much experience with geriatric equines.

Arcadien
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks much guys, I'm passing all this along to my friend, and she is even more appreciative!