PDA

View Full Version : David Stackhouse is coming to PA soon

SEPowell
Jan. 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
After going through many saddles and giving two horses very sore backs I've made an appointment with David Stackhouse to come to PA at the end of Feb or the first week of March.

Soooo, if you'd like to join this joyful saddlefest let me know. He said that he'd rather work with lots of people in one trip than make many trips up here.

I would think he could cover people from Berks Co, Chester Co, Bucks Co, Lehigh Valley, Philly, Northern MD, etc.

I've already put a down payment on a saddle so his coming here is definite. Yippee

DQ Eventer
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:13 PM
Congrats! I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed! Had my guy and myself fitted back in November. Still waiting on the masterpiece, but I'm sure it's worth the wait. I was very impressed with his and Lesley's knowledge, and the number of measurements they took from me and my horse :) Very cool to see the trees actually fitted to the horse directly. Really makes you appreciate the concept behind his ideals and makes you wonder why more saddle fitters, especially those who rep particular brands, don't fit trees directly. Enjoy!

Kairoshorses
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:15 PM
I agree. LOVE my Stackhouse. You'll be so happy!

SEPowell
Jan. 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words :)

I've had two saddles flocked to fit two different backs and they just weren't stable enough for three hours of hunting. I now know that's because the trees didn't fit even though the flocking made the saddles look like they fit.

When I first went back to the drawing board, I looked at high end saddles that were semi custom. I found three problems with them; one is they use their tree and fitting a tree to your horse's back is not an option, also I didn't like any of the styles for me, and finally they start off only a few hundred dollars cheaper than a custom Stackhouse and once you start adding options they become as expensive as a Stackhouse. So suddenly getting a Stackhouse became a no brainer.

Sure wish I'd figured this out a long time ago, at the moment I have 5 saddles that don't work for anybody.

NaturalSelection
Jan. 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
Not to completely derail this thread, but has anyone evaluated the Stackhouse and Legado (Stackhouse design, Argentinian manufacture) saddles available through Dover and VTO Saddlery? Opinions on price and quality?

denny
Jan. 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
I use my Stackhouse saddles on a pretty wide range of horses, and haven`t had problems with fit. I personally wouldn`t have a saddle for one horse only, too cost inneffective, unless it was some Olympic gold medallist, and even then my Yankee frugality would probably win out.

I think David`s saddles are so basically well designed and well made that they are very versatile, and will fit most horses that aren`t total opposite types.

retreadeventer
Jan. 24, 2010, 07:57 PM
Oh my goodness, I need to buy those Powerball tickets tomorrow morning. What I would not give for a Stackhouse, no, make that 2 - one dressage, one jumping. I think that would make a lot of sense but just hard to find a way at this stage in my life to find the money. :)

Foxhall
Jan. 24, 2010, 08:02 PM
How much does a stackhouse generally cost? I know it varies with all the customizations and everything, but generally speaking

Fergs
Jan. 24, 2010, 08:23 PM
... they start off only a few hundred dollars cheaper than a custom Stackhouse and once you start adding options they become as expensive as a Stackhouse. So suddenly getting a Stackhouse became a no brainer.

Welcome to my world! You will be so happy with your saddle. I went the Stackhouse route when I realized I'd be spending about the same amount of money for a saddle that I couldn't be sure would fit. David and Lesley are great to work with, and their work is second to none. For me, I got the best saddle money can buy, a happy horse, and a happy butt. You won't regret your decision. ;)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
How much does a stackhouse generally cost? I know it varies with all the customizations and everything, but generally speaking

It's been a little while since I bought one...but I would say 4,500-6,500. They have been worth it.

I need a new dressage saddle...but the timing isn't quite right for me to get a new one. Damn...I'm going to have to think about this....

SEPowell
Jan. 24, 2010, 09:28 PM

When I spoke with him the other day he said about $5000. Added to that is a couple of hundred for their travel expenses. Since his business is in NC and the saddle will be shipped from there there is no tax.

I'm very excited about this. :D

denny
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
This is a tip I was given about valuable saddles. Get a small branding iron, the kind that plugs in, and in several places under various flaps, brand your social security number, or some other key identifier.
A saddle like these should last a lifetime, but not if it gets stolen.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Good point Denny- but a friend in law enforcement told me to never put your ssn down, but instead your driver's license # and state- he said that people could not be tracked down with ssn's- this was before the days of identity theft, so it is probably even more relevant now. I learned this of course after I engraved my ssn on my wonderful old passier.....which I can now never sell even if I wanted to bc of that.......

SEPowell, sounds like Her Highness the Queen will be pleased that you now recognize her importance and are getting a saddle befitting her station.......

denny
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:34 PM
Wow, good advice, thanks.

SEPowell
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:11 PM
This is a tip I was given about valuable saddles. Get a small branding iron, the kind that plugs in, and in several places under various flaps, brand your social security number, or some other key identifier.
A saddle like these should last a lifetime, but not if it gets stolen.
Great idea! Maybe I'll be really optimistic and brand my phone number in it. Also, no more tossing the saddle in the back of the truck.

SEPowell, sounds like Her Highness the Queen will be pleased that you now recognize her importance and are getting a saddle befitting her station.......
Yes, the Queen is pleased and has requested heat sensors in the panels that will switch on a cooling mechanism when her back is hot and a heating mechanism when her back is cold. She also wants it to smell like pepperment.

Haf N Haf
Jan. 25, 2010, 05:39 PM
Not to be saying this as a manure stirrer, but the Stackhouse route doesn't work for everyone. You should note that any change in your horse's shape negates the guarantee of fit. Unfortunately, Mr. Stackhouse and I did not see eye to eye and I learned a $1200 lesson. PM me if you want more info.

Falko88
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:11 PM
I just got my stackhouse!! LOVE it! David and lesley are amazing and everything is perfect!

SEPowell
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:23 PM
That's great to hear. What type did you have made?

I wish I could find a bunch of people in PA for them to fit while they're up here. They seem really nice and the saddle's I've seen of theirs are beautiful.

DQ Eventer
Feb. 9, 2010, 06:44 AM
They are also heading down to FL and would love to fit some in GA if the opportunity arises!

Falko88
Mar. 2, 2010, 10:24 AM
i got a double flap in the dark walnut color with a slightly more forward flap for XC and the wider seat option..i am still inlove :)