PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me about your must haves for your dressing room

Friday1
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:33 PM
I just got my new trailer. Hawk 2+1. I LOVE it! Now time to figure out how to keep the dressing room neat and tidy. It has a medium size dressing room with a boot box in front of the gooseneck. Three saddle racks and a nice row of hooks.

Tell me about your favorite or must haves for your dressing room. Spent an hour in bed bath and beyond last weekend looking at various storage/bin options. Have some good ideas, but wanted to see what you all would have to say.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:14 AM
I ended up deciding it was easier to leave everything in my trailer and tack up even at home out of it cause I do so much hauling, so.... my favorite item is those little hooks that can clip on anywhere! I attached a few of those, so my helmet and halfchaps hang right in easy reach. The stuff I use all the time stays out and easy to grab, and the stuff I don't use daily is all in those containers. I like the plastic drawers. It keeps them cleaner and more organized. I also have tons of the tubs in the gooseneck part.
I also put the plastic floor mats (like for offices so your rolly chair can roll) over the floor. It keeps the carpet from getting muddy and is easier to sweep up than having to vacuum all the time.

That's mostly it... just drawers, hooks, and tubs :)

congrats on your trailer and happy decorating.

deltawave
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'm also a "bring the horse to the trailer" type, unless you're at the KHP, where the parking is so far away, so crowded, and so horrible underfoot that you can't swing it. :dead:

I have your usual hanging baskets, rubbermaid containers and little things with drawers. Every spring I do an "overhaul" but to be honest by this stage of the game I rarely change anything. :)

The one thing I really like is the shower curtain rod I put up--it goes straight across the tack room, up high, and I can hang my jackets, vest, one of those hanging closet organizers (where I keep helmets and little stuff) and more baskets. Keeps stuff out of the way and off the floor, making use of the "unusable" space up high. I can even hang saddle pads up there to dry.

EmmyTheHemi
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:23 AM
The one thing I really like is the shower curtain rod I put up--it goes straight across the tack room, up high, and I can hang my jackets, vest, one of those hanging closet organizers (where I keep helmets and little stuff) and more baskets. Keeps stuff out of the way and off the floor, making use of the "unusable" space up high. I can even hang saddle pads up there to dry.

Brilliant!!:yes: Gonna get me one of those.

To OP: the stack-o-plastic-drawers are a must. Mine fits nicely under my 2-saddle rack.

Mudroom
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
don't forget a laundry basket for dirty clothes

Hilary
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
A fold down step to get up into the GN area - I finally had one put in b/c I was tired of having to stack buckets and claw my way up to reach things that inched too far forward.

wildlifer
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:03 AM
don't forget a laundry basket for dirty clothes

This is what the back of the truck is for, LOL!

I have two big tupperware bins that I store my blankets and wraps in, along with spare saddle pads, girths, boots, whatever. I also got one of those cheapy little magnetic school locker things that has a dry erase board and a mirror. Joys of steel trailer is that you can stick all kinds of magnetic stuff to it, I use lots of magnetic clips to organize coggins, course maps, entries, etc. I also always keep hay string in there because you can trick out any stall with enough of that stuff!

LuckyStar
Jan. 22, 2010, 01:28 PM
Congrats on your trailer! I actually got my first trailer last night too, and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting this thread and all the great suggestions. I will be sure to look into the shower curtain rack -- love that!

subk
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:03 PM
Here's a great website to shop from! http://organizedbarn.com/

I haven't bought anything yet for my trailer, but I use their stuff in my wash rack and love it.

Friday1
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
I love that shower rod idea. Thats a great one.

Normal people organize closets...horse people trailer dressing rooms :lol:

CANTEREOIN
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
I had my trailer guys install steel clips all over the inside the dressing room and trailer. I use them to bungie everything down. (Buckets, H2O containers, food when traveling, cooler)

Couple of things to get:

File cabinet (Container Store) - two stacking drawers (bottom cleaning and first aide supplies) top - galloping boots, bell boots, XC boots and SJ boots.

Storage box - 2' tall, 3' long about 18" wide from Home depot (guys buy them to put in their truck) - braiding and stud supplies, extra shoes, stall hardware for shows - duct tape. Storage box also can be a table for a tailgate.

I bungie everything - portable saddle rack, step ladder (mounting and braiding)

In the trailer, I bungie down wheel barrel, broom, pitch fork, muck bucket...

Christmas presents... bring on the bungies!

pokesaladannie
Jan. 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
I had the trailer maker install hooks all around the gooseneck area just above the windows about two feet apart. I purchased lightweight vinyl recycling bags and hang them on every hook. Each bag is labeled "rain gear", "extra bridles", "poultice stuff" etc. It is nice to have more available space on the deck of the gooseneck.
Love the curtain rod idea DW.

RunForIt
Jan. 22, 2010, 05:39 PM
....ME!!!!

I LOVE the dressing room in my trailer - the main things I require are batteries: for my fan, for my DVD player, and for my numerous flashlights (music and reading at night are always requisites). I so love camping at horse trials and clinics. The mattress I have is very comfy...there's just something special about the sounds at night on the horse trial venue, and knowing that I can get up and check on my horse, take him for a walk...:D :cool:

yellowbritches
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:13 PM
OMG! I think the www.organizedbarn.com site might just be my new obsession.....oh jeez.....

Some good ideas going around here. We have been discussing the idea of hauling everything OUT of our tack room in the trailer and starting over before the season really gets under way. It's a mess right now and we really, really need to figure out ways to keep multiple people with multiple horses and all the gear that comes with everyone neat and tidy.

WakeRider
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
don't forget the hanging shoe-bag! the ones with like four across and five down. they are AWESOME for miscellaneous items! I'll try to think of more and type a list later

Equa
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
Whiteboard for messages/reminders/timetable, and a mirror for mascara.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:21 PM

That's definitely a good idea. Thanks! :yes:

Gry2Yng
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:44 PM
The shower curtain rod is the IDEA OF THE DAY.

FlightCheck
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'll add to the list!

A couple of "clamp on" lights - you can use them in the trailer, or hook them to the stall wall when you're braiding at night and the stall lights just aren't enough

I had the company hang my "blanket bar" from the ceiling, so I second DeltaWave's suggestion.

I also had the trailer company put rubber mats on my dressing room floor instead of carpet (GN has carpet) - no worries about spills!

A marine battery (outside) so that the trailer does not have to be hooked up for the lights to work- both inside the GN and back where the horses are

hollynanne
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:25 PM
OMG! My OCD (the mental condition, not the physical condition!) is on overload! I am LOVING organizedbarn.com.... I am also loving all these ideas!

LLLLLllllllll....................
Oh, excuse me.. that was drool...

Whew! Better now!
:D

VicariousRider
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:22 PM
My mom very smartly got a mirror for our dressing room when I was a kid that was shatterproof. Horses and broken glass don't go together well!!!

One good place to look for them is in a baby store. Apparently some babies find them entertaining in their cribs...?

ETA: oooh! Looks like they have one on the organizedbarn website!

CatchMeIfUCan
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:40 PM
The place that I got my trailer from put a permanent bar in for me for free. Might be something to look into instead of futzing with a shower rod!

eventingismylife
Jan. 23, 2010, 03:57 AM
I love the shower rod idea, definitely going to do that.

Sithly
Jan. 23, 2010, 07:34 AM
I use lots of those bucket straps (http://www.horse.com/Bucket-Hanging-Strap-BSW25.html) to hang and organize awkward things like ropes, hoses, etc.

Brigitte
Jan. 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
I love that Hawk 2+1! What a great set up.

I had a door added between my dressing room and horse area. I have a 4 horse slant that I basically turned into 2 box stalls. Brigitte has an enormous front stall and I can tack up inside using that door. I've gotten very spoiled!

The only problem is the amount of shavings that track into the dressing room. I did cover the original carpet to keep it clean, but there still is a lot of dirt going back and forth.

Friday1
Jan. 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
i actually started with standard HAWK 2 horse gooseneck and kept adding and ended up with essentially a 2+1. I didn't do the door between the dressing room and the back though. Was getting too close to blowing my budget.

But, I have the side ramp and can walk horses in and turn them around to back in and load on my own. I also had it set up so I can flip the straight stalls around and have the horses ride facing the back of the trailer. I am really excited about that part. Then in the front I have essentially a box stall, but with the slant wall. Have 2 mesh doors that divide in the middle and thats where the third horse can go.

My mare hurt herself badly last june when she decided to kick the crap out of my old rig. So I wanted full flexibility in my new trailer as I am not sure what its going to take to get her to behave. Now in the "princes carriage" as I am reffering to it, she will be able to ride forward or backwards and in a giant box stall. She better be happy :-)

I absolutely LOVE my new trailer. I bought it thorough Marcia at Horse Wheels trailer sales in upstate new york. FANTASTIC service and a great price too. I'd reccomend her to anyone. The HAWK is really a great trailer. Lots of nice upgrades and so open and inviting.

Thames Pirate
Jan. 23, 2010, 04:17 PM
A dressing room. It's my first "must have" for a dressing room.

AdAblurr02
Jan. 23, 2010, 04:53 PM
A dressing room. It's my first "must have" for a dressing room.

LOL! yeah! I remember too well having a little throw rug in one of the stalls of the "old two-horse walkthru", and having to hunker down to change into (or out of) show clothes. Tons of fun... NOT!

I LOVE our big 1988 Trail-Et trailer - it was a five-horse slant with a four-foot short wall tack room up front. Nice RV door between tack and horse compartment, so THAT part was already done. I tore out all the yucky damaged vinyl flooring in the tack room, put down nice new vinyl, carpeted the GN for a "bedroom", completely re-covered the (steel painted RED) walls that were under the horrible water damaged paneling in the GN. I did take out and re-set/re-seal all the windows in the GN as a part for that rather big project. THEN I put up solid foam insulation on the overhead (fiberglass roof), which really made it a lot nicer in both hot and cold weather. Also added a couple of 112v AC lights and a few newer (brighter) 12v lights as well. Added a nice camper type roof vent as well, that makes it pretty nice inside in warm weather.

Took a nice oak bath vanity base cupboard to be the base for my dry galley, cut in a piece of the pre-formed formica countertop (with formed backsplash) to go from the front wall to the divider wall. with a little overhead matching cabinet, there's LOTS of room for stuff now - also added a couple of Home Depot oak (upper) cabinets against the GN wall - a tall one 12"x12" at the door's edge, and a 15 inch tall one where a boot box would be - with a carpeted plywood top, it's a perfect seat, and step up to the GN bed area.

I got a little 30 inch tall fridge (AC only) for nothing, and it's now on the other side of the door - the deep corner between fridge and slant wall is for a big tubular clothes rack, I left the mondo bridle rack on the wall behind it for bridles, halters, whips etc. Plenty of space under the hanging clothes & coats for my "show chairs" to be bungee'd in the corner, and duffles etc piled underneath.

Took the first stall of the horse compartment as the new "tack-n-feed" space, and have a LOT of hard points put in there (bolted into the steel structure) to bungee stuff to the walls for travel security. Big rubbermaid tubs for grooming stuff, feed etc, buckets stacked in the corner, rolling saddle rack that bungee's to the wall for travel. There's plenty of room to take along our 10x10 pop-up canopy that we set up outside the trailer door - GREAT for a visiting and hanging out place. I carry a card table and a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet rolled up into a tube (more bungees!) to create our outdoor living space.

Most of the places we go have showers and real bathroom facilities, so I didn't worry about that - I do have electrical for fridge and a little microwave, and the imperative coffee maker! Microwave and coffeemaker both stow away for travel, I don't leave ANYTHING on the counter when we are rolling. I have a little bitty genset that will run the fridge and lights, and charge the 12v battery in a pinch, but we usually have shore power to pug the rig into, so have not really used it much. There's plenty of room for a porta-potty if I wanted to pack one, and I am thinking about other stuff - but really, don't have the need for the little showing we actually do.

All in all, it's still camping, but a heck a lot nicer than a wet tent and cold hard ground! AND I can keep an eye on our horses a lot better from the trailer than a motel five miles away!

Foxhall
Jan. 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
At the barn I board at, one of the guys that rides there bought a custom made two horse 4* trailer a couple years ago. It doesn't have a LQ but he put a mattress in the top for him to sleep in at horse shows. Ever since there has been a little competition between the boarders about who can get the best trailer set up for shows. The owner of the barn purchased a very fancy LQ trailer this fall, so I don't think anyone else will be outdoing her for a while!! :)
Camping at the horse shows with our group is very fun. We all park our trailers together with a "campsite" in between where we have dinners at night. One woman bought a "camping shower" that is fully equipped with pressure and hot water!! (she heats the water from a propane tank and then it attaches to the shower itself)

Risk-Averse Rider
Jan. 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
Best. Thing. Ever.

Seriously.

http://www.thepett.com/index.php?PageLayout=PRODUCTS&headerID2=36&pageID=98

I have a 2H BP Trail-et New Yorker. The dressing room isn't that big, but I generally leave this set up in there and use it to sit on when I need to be in the dressing room.

Best.

Thing.

Ever.

Absolutely.

Brigitte
Jan. 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
And of course a roll of toilet paper.

Pocket Pony
Jan. 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
I love my GN dressing room!

Mattress in the GN that is always there and always has sheets on it. Since there's room between the edge of the mattress and the front of the GN, the sleeping bags are always there with flashlights (but batteries not stored in the flashlights). Then along the sides between the mattress and the windows are our camping chairs and table that fit just perfectly (the table legs collapse and the top rolls up so it all fits into a nylon round bag).

I have the boot box, too. The left side is filled with four plastic containers. One container has all my braiding stuff, a second container has extra halter, lead rope, and jacket for me, third container has extra horse boots, and fourth container has extra bits and stuff like that. Then on the right side of the boot box is my horse bathing stuff and extra towels and saddle bags for trail riding.

I did have them put in a blanket rack but I hate where it is and it made my saddle racks too close to the bridle racks. Oh well.

I have three saddle racks. The top has a ton of saddle pads on it. The other two are always occupied by saddles. Underneath the saddle racks are two plastic containers - one for Mr. PoPo and one for me. Our half chaps, helmets, gloves, regularly-used horse boots, etc are in there.

I got a green outdoor rug that I put on the floor so I can just pull that up and shake it out - it keeps the rug clean.

The corner of the wall where the saddle racks are has extra water buckets. Then there are the bridle hooks, of course, which are all occupied. I have the windows from the dressing room to the horse area so that takes up wall space and I also have the door from the dressing room to the horse area, which I love!!

The door to the horse area has two trays attached to it where I keep a little cosmetics bag that holds safety pins and chapstick and hair nets. I keep rolled up towels in there, too. Oh, and of course toilet paper! I have to pee a lot at night and go in the back of the trailer so the walk through door is handy...especially when there's TP stored there!

Then in the short, small corner between the DR/horse and the main DR door I keep a pitchfork and broom. Whew, that is a lot of stuff!!!

I also keep my trailer packed all the time and use it as a permanent tack room (in addition to my other tack room) because I'm always going out for lessons or a trail ride and it is just easier.

Congratulations on your trailer - I love the 2+1s!!!

judybigredpony
Jan. 24, 2010, 09:10 AM
Battery operated fans from "Lowes"...

One clean muck tub not for muck.

Since I do not have a GN but a pumperpull I got Hawke Dealer to install a trunk in the nose of dressingroom and an overhead shelf...can't live w/O that storage space you got w/ your GN so created some.

Zipper bags clear like the ones new T/O rugs come in. Stack great, you can see whats in it and fold down flat when empty...plus they are free.

Tap on lights that self adhese the little LED ones you get in super market. Great for small dark spots or undet lids:)

Hannahsmom
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:56 PM
For my carpeted gooseneck floor I bought some of those plastic 'runners' and laid them on the floor. I have a set of bridle hooks all across the bulkhead wall up high (in addition to the ones lower that came with trailer). The high ones are where I put spurs, bats, extra caps, bridles, girths, etc. The lower ones are great for extra leads, bungies, etc. Can't have too many hooks. I have a Trail-et hat rack and integrated clothesbar which I love. You are going to wish you had that door between DR and horse area. When I was camping at shows I put the coolers, porta-potty, shower, etc. in horse area and had a nice 'mud room' going from outside thru walk-thru doors into DR so it kept the DR cleaner.

Sithly
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:35 PM
One clean muck tub not for muck.

This!

I have one of those nifty little muck carts and two muck tubs. When I need to haul water, I line the clean tub with a trash bag, fill it with water, then tie off the trash bag to keep the water from splashing out in transit. The tubs hold like 17 gallons -- beats lugging lots of buckets!

Also, for interior lighting -- I tried the stick-on LEDs, but they were too dim for me. I bought one of these lanterns (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018S4XIS/ref=asc_df_B0018S4XIS1014911?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0018S4XIS), and it rocks. Super bright, and runs forever on a set of D batteries. Has a hook on the bottom so you can take the case off, hang it upside down from the ceiling, and use it like a light bulb if you want. Or you can hang it in the horse area for an extra loading light. Also fits in the glovebox of my truck when I'm not hauling.

AdAblurr02
Jan. 26, 2010, 12:41 AM
And of course a roll of toilet paper.

LOL!
I forgot that - the TP dispenser was already installed on the vanity base!

HINT - a long twist tie, like off celery, keeps the TP on the roll while traveling :) :) :) Works great for paper towel holder too.

FairWeather
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:24 AM
I saw someone with the most beautiful, simple tack room recently. She had it set up like a barn tack room, with wooden "cubbies" painted really fun colors for boots/brushes/meds/etc, pictures on the walls, a lovely mirror permanently affixed, and a perfect row of ribbons.
None of this stuff is "must have" but it sure did inspire me to make my tack room Prettier.
Now that I have an actual tack room instead of the one on wheels, i'm going to set it up to be pretty AND functional :)

purplnurpl
Jan. 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
Once case of Corona Light.

GraceThe Mare
Jan. 26, 2010, 03:24 PM
My father-in-law got a bunch of 3 x 4ft metal storage cabinets leftover from work. My Hubby put one against the short side of my 4 x 6 DR, anchored it to the wall and put a plywood top all the way across, to the GN. carpeted it, to match the wall, and hinged it, so the extra space becomes my "closet" with a lift-up rod and hooks for Vest, Jackets, etc... and then, neater still, the side piece flips down to create an extra stair-step to get up and down from the GN (for the dog!), as we have a bench running the length under the GN lip. Perfect height to get my tall boots, and storage crates tucked neatly under. The "closet has vent holes, so my stuff stays clean and as fresh as possible! lol. Inside the cabinet, plastic pull-out drawers & baskets keep heavy items from sliding. A magnetic organizer mounts inside the door for pens, my arm band and coggins, rabies, misc papers in envelopes.
Also, my other favorite find is the push lights. Most of the year, I keep 'em in there, as they run on batteries. (I keep 'em inside for the COLD season though) My horse trailer is an older model Trail-et, so heavy-duty magnets keep them mounted on the walls, and I can move them around as needed. Plenty of task light to clean tack after dark, etc...
I use magnetic hooks for the curtains, to hold a rod for ribbons,etc...
I have a large shatter-proof olastic framed mirror also held on with heavy duty magnets.
In-between the vertical steel supports, fits a folding picnic table,(2 x 4) held in w/ bungee across supports. Bridle rack is above, so bridles, ropes, etc hang over it and don't scrape against the metal.
I've capped the orig. metal welded hooks with lil' plastic caps, as they were sharp.
I wish I could figure out how to post a pic, as this description is lengthy!
but it works great, everything stays neat and is easy to find! Even w/ 2 horses and all our event gear for a weekend!

Oh! I've even got photos on magnetic frames for decor! Love it! :)

inquisitive
Jan. 26, 2010, 03:25 PM
My father-in-law got a bunch of 3 x 4ft metal storage cabinets leftover from work. My Hubby put one against the short side of my 4 x 6 DR, anchored it to the wall and put a plywood top all the way across, to the GN. carpeted it, to match the wall, and hinged it, so the extra space becomes my "closet" with a lift-up rod and hooks for Vest, Jackets, etc... and then, neater still, the side piece flips down to create an extra stair-step to get up and down from the GN (for the dog!), as we have a bench running the length under the GN lip. Perfect height to get my tall boots, and storage crates tucked neatly under. The "closet has vent holes, so my stuff stays clean and as fresh as possible! lol. Inside the cabinet, plastic pull-out drawers & baskets keep heavy items from sliding. A magnetic organizer mounts inside the door for pens, my arm band and coggins, rabies, misc papers in envelopes.
Also, my other favorite find is the push lights. Most of the year, I keep 'em in there, as they run on batteries. (I keep 'em inside for the COLD season though) My horse trailer is an older model Trail-et, so heavy-duty magnets keep them mounted on the walls, and I can move them around as needed. Plenty of task light to clean tack after dark, etc...
I use magnetic hooks for the curtains, to hold a rod for ribbons,etc...
I have a large shatter-proof olastic framed mirror also held on with heavy duty magnets.
In-between the vertical steel supports, fits a folding picnic table,(2 x 4) held in w/ bungee across supports. Bridle rack is above, so bridles, ropes, etc hang over it and don't scrape against the metal.
I've capped the orig. metal welded hooks with lil' plastic caps, as they were sharp.
I wish I could figure out how to post a pic, as this description is lengthy!
but it works great, everything stays neat and is easy to find! Even w/ 2 horses and all our event gear for a weekend!

Oh! I've even got photos on magnetic frames for decor! Love it! :)

You are my idol :lol:

Can you post pictures?! Just upload to picasa or something!

GraceThe Mare
Jan. 26, 2010, 08:13 PM
I really should try and post. I absolutely LOVE it! i'd been fantasizing about finally getting my very own trailer for so long, that I went ga-ga when I finally got it. It does rock, and I promise to try and post some pics for you.
Probably Thursday, when I won't be at work when the sun is up! (lol, gotta pay for the barn, now!)

kichiri_kachiri
Aug. 25, 2011, 03:32 PM
there might be some more good ideas out there...

bump :D

Carol Ames
Aug. 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
mirror, fan, "port a potty" disgusting, but, sometimes needed; had a plastic/ tupperware foot locker with my show tack/ supplies, hair nets, gloves stock pin, etc. in it; also the first aid kit; which I moved :yes:to the truck when, hauling. I also kept 2 20 gallon containers of water

Mudroom
Aug. 25, 2011, 03:49 PM
one of those wall mounted crop/whip holders.

3dazey
Aug. 25, 2011, 07:34 PM
Whiteboard for messages/reminders/timetable, and a mirror for mascara.

:eek:Mascara?:eek:

riverpup
Aug. 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
I dont really camp in the gooseneck, but will offer up a couple things that really work for me.

A couple of the square blue jugs called "aquatainers" (i think) for drinking and horse sponging water, they hold about 5 gallons each. They stay near the door for easy use.
A wonderful friend gave me a door organizer that my DH fastened to the inside of the tack room door and it has lots of little pockets for brushes and fly spray, my spurs, and other stuff that needs to be handy.

Atigirl
Aug. 28, 2011, 09:33 AM
Make sure you buy clear containers or a good label maker. If you go with the plastic bins or container idea just sing the Sesame Street song: "Which one of these is not like the others..." Keep like things together at all times, all show pad together, all schooling pads, etc. Really saves time and keeps you from diging in a box.