PDA

View Full Version : Can I just opt out of Jan/Feb next year?

elizabeth Callahan
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:02 PM
So, i have a REALLY bad time with Jan/Feb. Not just that it has rained/snowed every week since October and the fields are knee deep with mud and frozen mud, and MORE mud. No indoor, so was trying to slog it out hacking on the roads but I seem to be cursed with more than bad weather.

Two years ago, I broke my collarbone in Feb- 6 weeks off
Last year, my mare tweaked a tendon in Feb - 8 weeks off
This year, she broke her coffin bone on the stupid, rutted, frozen ground - 12 weeks off.

I hate to think what next year could bring!

I REALLY, REALLY hate winter!

mkevent
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:23 PM
Man, that really sucks!!!

I just hate winter anyway-I don't blame anyone who heads south!

It's just not fun...and each year it gets less and less fun...

Hope things look better soon.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
Me too! Can I join the "Opt out of Jan/Feb club"?! I am in the south and it isn't that much better here believe me!

RunForIt
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:36 PM
I can be the poster child...along with you, of course, dear Liz!!!

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Hate to hear the news of your horse's injury!!!

:cool:

CookiePony
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
Aw, that's just awful.

We have more mild winters down here but we had two weeks of record cold and now a monsoon. Is it March yet?

Trixie
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
Can I join you? It's icing outside my window. I've barely been on a horse in weeks due to mud/snow/ice/mess. My horse doesn't particularly LIKE time off, either.

Snapdragon
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Can I get an amen!? A few years ago, I had two with injuries on stall rest and started legging them up over the winter. If it had been a winter like this one--forget about it.

Oh, and it just started sleeting here. Heavily. Snow supposed to follow. Sigh.

I used to ski and loved the winter/snow. Now, with the horses at home, not so much. Spring just can't come soon enough!

SevenDogs
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:11 PM
RunForIt: How are you doing now?

IrishWillow
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:20 PM
Totally agree.
My trainer has an indoor (praise the lord) or otherwise I wouldnt have been on a horse in months.
On another note.. how did you horse come back from the coffin bone injury?

Fairview Horse Center
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:25 PM
I would have liked to opt out of this past December. Snow, snow, snow, and record breaking cold that just kept going and going. Oh, yeah, how about the 9 days straight of wind to add to the cold? Now, in mid-January +, MUCH better. Can I even hope the worst is over?!?!

Sorry to hear about your mare. Hope she heals quickly.

Zu Zu
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:34 PM
Jingles for your mare ~ hoping she heals quickly and your weather clears. The weather in my area has been DREADFUL --I HATE WINTER TOO !!!!

Snapdragon
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
Elizabeth, one of my injured ones 3 years ago had fractured her coffin bone. It was 10 months of stall rest, and she came out completely sound on it. There is hope, even if the weather sucks! Hope all goes well for your girl.