PDA

View Full Version : favorite clinicians and why

sunnycher
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
Who are your favorite clinicians? I'm show manager for our 2 clinics and event derbies this summer and would love some feedback. I'm mostly looking for a 2 day clinic in Sept. We've had amazing clinicians here, local and not. It will be for mostly lower level - some good riders on beg horses, and lots of bn/n, a few training level and maybe a couple prelim?

We are closer to west coast than east. Some of the awesome talent we've been privvy to.

KOC
Jon Holling
Jon Elliott
Ryan Brown
Gary and Sara Mittleider
Stephanie Goodman
Amy Barrington
Hope I'm not foretting anyone, but great people.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Auburn
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:49 PM
Jim Graham - great explanations and eye. He was a big help for me learning the speeds on approach going cross country.

Diana Rich - zeros in on your specific problem and gives you a catch phrase, so that you can remember it.

Denny Emerson - because he is DENNY! (I was his demo for "the helicopter jump! :winkgrin:)

Jim Wofford - because he fixed me, which was our main problem anyway.

sunnycher
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Auburn, are they all east coast, do you know?

wanderlust
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
Don Sachey is awesome. I've seen him fix some really scary riding and poor jumping/behavior with great explanations and examples, and very thoughtful exercises. Super, super nice guy, too. He's in Central California.

Brian Sabo is also great. He makes you think and understand what you are doing and why, and is coach to most of the upper-level riders in CA.

SuperEventer
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
Kim Severson- She has a knack for really finding the root of a problem and fixing it. She has a great eye, and she is awesome with every level of rider. I can not say enough good things about her.

flabbergasted
Jan. 22, 2010, 01:20 PM
Lucinda Green, if she is in the US at the time. She is phenomenal with everyone at all levels, but has a gift for imparting the fundamentals to lower level riders and horses.

I also like Don Sachey. A great guy all around, who is also wonderful with the lower levels.

And, dare I say it? George Morris if you can get him for a show jump day. He is fabulous. Not for the faint of heart, but fabulous. Will dramatically improve your sj unless you are in a coma during the lesson.

INoMrEd
Jan. 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
Don Sachey is awesome. I've seen him fix some really scary riding and poor jumping/behavior with great explanations and examples, and very thoughtful exercises. Super, super nice guy, too. He's in Central California.

Brian Sabo is also great. He makes you think and understand what you are doing and why, and is coach to most of the upper-level riders in CA.

Wanderlust, having been in clinics with both, I second your recommendation.

BAC
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:05 PM

I agree about Don and he's right in Santa Barbara, so very convenient for you.

bip
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
I absolutely love Amy Barrington. I have ridden in clinics with her 3-4 times now. Every time she gives me something that LOOKS impossible, but that I am able to do successfully the first time AND have a lightbulb moment about how to apply that "feeling" to other questions. I think other riders must have those lightbulb moments too, because the other horse/rider paris in my groups have always visibly improved over the course of the lesson. Awesome.

I also rode with Leslie Law once and it was so valuable. He is very succinct, and has the ability to get your attention in the split second before you screw up and fall into the same bad habit you always do, so that the experience of riding it correctly sticks in your mind. I loved that he was so down to earth despite being an Olympian. You don't see that a lot.

I always get a lot out of clinics with Suzi Gornall too. She is especially good at establishing and confirming the basics, and then building the blocks for each level. I always go home from clinics with her with a lot of homework, exercises to strengthen galloping position, exercises to improve my horse's balance. Good stuff.

piggiponiis
Jan. 22, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have never been as satisfied as I thought I should be riding with Phillip. He's a briliant rider but not a brilliant communicator. V. nice guy though.

Agree with Lucinda maybe the very best
Jimmy
Buddy Brown if you're on the west coast
JOhn Williams - XC. Don't love him for stadium but incredible XC
The Leslies are wonderful together or separate

frugalannie
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:28 PM
Well, aside from God (aka Jimmy Wofford) and Denny, three of the very best I've had the pleasure to clinic with are based across the pond but travel here (Lucinda is all over the country it seems):

Lucinda Green
Eric Smiley
Nick Turner

Eric and Nick are both fellows of the BHS and selectors for the British Team (IIRC). Nick was a grand prix jumoer before he picked up eventing and excelled at Advanced. All three of them are extraordinary horsemen and teachers.

piaffequeen
Jan. 22, 2010, 06:42 PM
Caroline Atherholt-great with young horses and young riders-has competed at the four star level. Website is www.carolinedowd.com-Fantastic trainer and rider!

EightBelles134
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:49 PM
i second Leslie Law, he really is a phenomenal clinician and i thoroughly enjoyed his clinic..and as for him being down to earth, he was so down to earth that I got to talking to him at an event one day and didn't realize who it was til AFTER the conversation was over...

Also, not sure if she does clinics but Corrinne Ashtons really nice and down-to-earth as well..she's someone I wouldn't mind taking a few lessons from

jollytrak
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
Jil Walton is awesome with young horses (older ones too)! She helped me heaps with my young guy. Based in CA (winter) and MT (summer) :D

Scootie
Jan. 23, 2010, 01:18 AM
Another vote for Kim Severson. I think she is probably the best instructor I have ever had. We are fortunate to be near where she stays during the warmer months and often take advantage of monthly-or-so clinics she does locally.

She has gotten me to do things I NEVER ever saw myself doing, and this has been a real confidence booster.

I also adore Lucinda Green (who doesn't?). I've audited a couple of her clinics and hoped to try to ride in the one near here in April. Unfortunately, I had recent rotator cuff surgery and been off my horse for a month and a half so far, so there's no way I can be in shape for her clinic by that time.

Plus I MAY have a time conflict this year which would interfere with even auditing.

BUMMER!:cry:

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 23, 2010, 12:52 PM
I rode with Buck Davidson and loved him! We did grid work the first day and course work the second. Both days were challenging, but he relates everything you did on the first day doing grids to the course work. If I get a chance to ride with him again I definatly will.

Becky Holder was AWESOME! I did a 3-day clinic with her (dressage, show jumping, XC). She remembers every little detail about your horse. Without having to tell her she immediatly recognized the issues I was having with my horse. My horse has never felt so good in a dressage lesson than with her. The show jumping excersises were awesome! Combined grid work with course work and worked a lot on the quality of what you have after this jump. For example we had a line of just the small boxes you put under jumps that were skinny. You would jump the line, after the second, leg yield for a rollback back to the line. Was super fun and a lot harder than one would think! XC was great, building exercises ontop of another. I would highly recommend Becky to anyone!!

imissvixen
Jan. 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
I second Caroline. She is great with lower level riders because she is so enthusiastic and confident and not at all intimidating or snobbish.

If you are looking for a male clinician I would suggest Chris Hitchcock. Chris started riding very late in life so he doesn't have the track record competitively but he is an excellent teacher, very intelligent, and very good with lower level riders.

And if you want to work on your dressage try Bailey Cook. I was shocked at how quickly she changed me and my horse for the better.

sunnycher
Jan. 23, 2010, 06:56 PM
Keep them coming, still haven't contracted one yet for our sept clinic. Thanks for all the input. The venue we will be using is new this year, and doesn't have much above training. That's o.k. really, because the bulk of our riders are bn/n and a couple of T, very few Prelim. So I appreciate your info.

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 23, 2010, 07:42 PM
If Kim Severson is available, you should definitely have her do a clinic. My daughter rode with Kim for a couple of weeks in Aiken last year and when we got home, our regular trainer, who is an "S" dressage judge and grand prix rider commented that she looked like she had more than a years worth of progress under her belt...and that was with only one dressage lesson, the rest were jumping. Since riding with Kim, the kid has not finished below fourth place and has confidently moved up to prelim earning the USEA gold medal at training level and silver medal at prelim. Kim is not only a star on the horse, but she is also a star trainer and clinician. You can get her contact info at her website http://kimseversoneventing.com/contact.asp .

retreadeventer
Jan. 23, 2010, 08:23 PM
While we are talking clinics and clinicians, does anyone have a good idea of the major clinics this year? Who, where, and when. Be nice to have them all in one spot.

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
For clinics in Maryland and the surrounding states MCTA's calendar is amazing, one of the many reasons we join each year. Although you don't have to be a member to check out their calendar.

http://mdcta.com/MCTAcalendar.html

carrie_girl
Jan. 23, 2010, 11:07 PM

Definitely agree about Don. A great guy who is excellent with all levels. I did a clinic with him when I first got my current boy and had only been jumping again for about a month after more than 10 years off. He managed to help me brush the rust right off and I really felt like myself again after that clinic.

I rode with Brian monthly (and at shows) when I was a YR, and while I think he is one of the best coaches out there, and I never would have gotten where I did without him, riding with him does take a certain level of maturity. Unless he has really changed (I rode w/him in the late 80's-mid 90s) he is not really good with small children or anyone who does not take the experience very seriously. I also thought he wasn't clinicing as much these days? I am pretty out of the competitive eventing loop though, so I could be wrong. His wife Lisa is also excellent. Her teaching style is very different from Brian, but still very effective and she is great with all ages/levels.

ss3777
Jan. 24, 2010, 12:35 PM
Eric Horgan

great communicator
super "eye"
most importantly..........he inspires me to push the envelope

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 24, 2010, 04:18 PM
While we are talking clinics and clinicians, does anyone have a good idea of the major clinics this year? Who, where, and when. Be nice to have them all in one spot.

USEA sponsored clinics

http://useventing.com/education.php?section=calendar#Schooling%20Shows

Sightunseen
Jan. 24, 2010, 05:00 PM
Brian Sabo is amazing!! Super fun and always pushing you to be a better rider. I rode with him the first time when I was 8 and thought he was pretty amazing then, but I was a pretty intense 8 yo. Lisa Sabo is also really great to ride with and a lot milder of a personality. Bea Di Grazia is really good too, I rode with her at a YR camp and she was really good at making all the exercises usefull to the varying crowd. I have only audited Dereck Di Grazia also at YR camp, but was really impressed with him too.

Jan. 25, 2010, 01:04 AM
I've been to a million clinics... Hands down, Kim Severson is the best clinician/instructor I've ever seen. She has a fantastic eye.

purplnurpl
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:37 AM
I've only done a few clinics:

Bobby Costello
Lucinda Green
Don Sachey
Jim Graham
Will Coleman

the only one clinician I will ride with again is Will.

The others were fine, but they were one time clinics for me.

One day I will ride with Jimmy Wofford. until that day....

I have Team Fredericks coming up in two weeks!!!
And the Laws also come to our state. I'll hook up with them eventually as well.
: D

GiGi
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:05 PM
Jim Wofford ~ will drive any distance to clinic with him at least once a year
Lellie Ward ~ she in all about safety and is straightforward and fun. But don't go if you don't want to hear the truth about your riding. She doesn't sugar coat an ugly picture but by the end of the clinic she'll be your biggest cheerleader when you get it right! If I am afraid to do something she's the one I go to to get it done. I laugh in the face of ditches now!
Kim Severson ~ she understand that eventing is FUN. And is all about safety as well and doesn't sugar coat.

La Chasse
Jan. 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
I second Eric Horgan. I love him. He gives you a great self-confidence, forces you to think, is fun and has a wicked sense of humor. He wants you to tell him what makes you nervous/uncomfortable/etc so he knows your boundaries and then stays within them, but at the same time, somehow, manages to push you beyond said boundaries without overfacing you. After a clinic with him in December, I felt like a brand new rider. :D

tikidoc
Jan. 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
I have not been in eventing long, about 2 years, so my experience is limited with event trainers (I'm a previous hunter rider, and to a lesser extent, dressage). That said, I have taken many lessons from Nick Larkin and he has coached me at a few events and for schooling afterwards, and have always been thrilled. He is sympathetic to lower level chickens like me (I just moved up to Novice last year).

He is an excellent communicator, and you will have no doubt as to what he wants you to change, but he never makes you feel put down. His lessons are always lots of fun, lots of hard work, and he is liberal with his use of humor, but not at the expense of learning and making good progress.

Viva
Jan. 26, 2010, 06:28 PM
Bonnie Mosser is fantastic. We've had her at our farm twice and she's coming back in May to do a long-format clinic. She's wonderful with both lower-level riders and green horses. We had a lot of pony clubbers, many of whom were new to xc, and she had everyone riding better by the end of the day, all with smiles on their faces. She comes up with really creative ways to fix problems and gives everyone something concrete to take home. Not formulaic at all either, which is nice--I get something different every time I ride with her.

TuxWink
Jan. 26, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wendy Wergeles. She is also in charge of an Event Derby series down here in SoCal, so might have some pointers for your there, too. :) I've also ridden with Brian Sabo and Jil Walton from your list. Here's what I would add to some of the descriptions:

Brian - He's probably the most intense of all three. He wants you to THINK and understand what you do, why you do it, and what effect it has on your horse. He's very fair, but I have seem him get very frustrated when people don't listen. He's not really a "let's go out and have fun" kind of a clinician, but more of a "let's focus and really work to get the most from your horse" kind of clinician.

Jil - Jil is a real confidence builder. I did a clinic last March with her in conjunction with the Event Derby at Flintridge, for which she also designed the courses. She taught groups from intro beginner novice to intermediate. She set up some really fun questions and combinations, even though I was only riding in the novice group, including a coffin combination, an angle to angle jump, and other great questions involving the terrain. Where Brian is really in the details, Jil is more relaxed and into the overall picture and focuses a lot on keeping your horse forward and confident.

Hope that helps!