PDA

View Full Version : helmet for an oval head

winfieldfarm
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have to pitch my old troxel work helmet and get new. I have a fairly petite, oval circumfrence (sp?) head. Never liked how the troxel squeezed me from back to front with no contact on the sides.

What's a good brand that makes an oval helmet?

Lori B
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
I used to have a helmet sized 'long oval' from IRH, which solved that exact problem for me. Miss it, need to dig up another.....

jlrcoats
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
I use helmets with the dial system, love them, they fit your head perfectly!:D

winfieldfarm
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
two ?'s

IRH? what does this stand for?

Know the dial system but what brands have this in it?

CDE Driver
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
I wear a long oval size 6 7/8. I had an IRH (International Riding Helmet) that fits perfectly and I loved. I just bought a Charles Owen AYR8 and it also fits perfectly.

stryder
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have an IRH Durasoft that fits my oval head perfectly. IRH's more expensive helmets didn't fit as well, but I didn't specify a "long oval."

The Durasoft is inexpensive and has Dialfit.

KateKat
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
ditto on having an oval-ish head and IRH fitting well. I also used to ride in a Troxel, and would get headaches from the front to back squeeze. I didn't get my IRH as a long oval because my head is more a roundish oval. For reference, I have an IRH SSV. Love it, and don't find it much hotter than my old Troxel, even in 100 degree dry heat.

JumpQH
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
I also have an oval head and use an IRH helmet.

PinkPonies
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have a Charles Owen JR8 that fits my oval head great!

HungarianHippo
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have an old troxel that fits my weird head great. I really neededto retire it due to age and a few hard knocks so I bought one of the newer Troxel "legacy" dial helmets. Was surprised at how different it is--very round and the dial doesn't solve the front/back squeeze, it just allows you to adjust how *much* it squeezes those areas.
Unfortunately I don't have a tack store in the area with any selection to try on. BUT, am going to Rolex this april and plan on getting something there.

Melelio
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
Another vote for IRH (International). After having my son my Troxels didn't fit well at all (how did that change my head shape? I lost brains? LOL :lol: No doubt....)...I love my cheapy IRH Air Lite with the Dial Fit. Fits me great for a good $$...My FIL loves the one we gave him, too.

cnvh
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
Another IRH long oval fan here. First helmet I think I've ever had that I actually forget that I'm wearing.

jeano
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
I've got the long oval head from hell. Tipperary.

EventingJ
Jan. 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
another vote for IRH. Definatly my favorite helmets (although to be honest I have not tried a CO). Tipperary never fit right - although I probably did not try all the configurations, I'm sure. I did get a Troxel in the oval shape to fit quite well, but nothing feels more like "home" then my IRH!

FindersKeepers
Jan. 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
I bought a Charles Owen GR8 a couple years back that fits my oval head really well.

AvantGarde
Jan. 22, 2010, 12:30 PM
I always wore an IRH for my egghead. They are relatively inexpensive and definitely geared toward the oval folks. Recently I got a Charles Owen GR8 which fits very comfortably (probably moreso than the IRH) but came with a heftier price tag.

DiablosHalo
Mar. 1, 2010, 10:39 AM
Anyone know which (if any) of the GPA models fit an oval (fat oval!) head?

redkat
Mar. 1, 2010, 11:32 AM
Anyone know which (if any) of the GPA models fit an oval (fat oval!) head?

When I was looking, the Textium was their more oval helmet. It was still too round for me, however, and I ended up with a Charles Owen. I've been really, really happy with it.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Mar. 1, 2010, 11:39 AM

That.

Desert Topaz
Mar. 1, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm another person who wore a Troxel, then had to buy a new one last summer and they don't fit my head anymore. I went with an IRH Elite in long oval and it fits nicely and still has some ventilation.

Bay&Gray
Mar. 1, 2010, 06:42 PM
When I went helmet shopping a few years ago I was told by the tack store owner that usually IRH are better for round heads, and Charles Owen and Lami-Cell were better for oval heads. I have a round head and when I tried on the Lami-Cell helmet I definitely felt like it was squashing the sides of my head, so I went with the IRH.

ESG
Mar. 1, 2010, 08:09 PM

This, too. Love my Tips. And you can't beat the price. :yes:

sisu27
Mar. 2, 2010, 09:08 AM
Tipperary for sure. Best fit, well made, great price and the coolest (temperature wise) helmet ever.

I also have a GPA Titium Extreme Pro that fits well and a CO J3 that is ok. They feel heavy and hot compared to the Tipperary though. If only they would make a better looking helmet for showing.