PDA

View Full Version : Hard to see Electric Fence! WWYD?

whiskerkittens
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:17 AM
We are looking at a place to buy and the big pastures are fenced in with electric fencing (which I need to learn more about) but I find it hard to see the fence!!!!! You really have to be about 8-10 feet away to see it. What if a horse is spooked or playing and doesn't register that there is a fence coming up FAST? I envision a tangled horse in hot wire and it makes my stomach turn.
How can horses see it? If you tie a cloth or something to the top wire will that cause a short circuit??

shawneeAcres
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
You can buy surveyors tape and about every 10 feet tie a piece of it on the top wire it will not affect the electric but will make it more visible. Also you could buy either some electric "tape" or "rope" and string an additional line along with the existing fence to make it visible. Usually once the horse knows where the fence is they dont eget into it.

NoDQhere
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:49 AM
We have some "sheep" fence as part of our perimeter fence. We put plastic post tops on any steel posts and insulators on the wood posts. We then ran a single strand of Horse Guard Electric Tape at the top of the fence. The horses can see the fence and so can the humans :lol:.

katarine
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:08 AM
hang strips of surveyors tape from it, they'll learn that it's there.

However- if you are relying solely on puny tiny thin hot wire as perimeter fencing- you really might consider replacing that with something more substantial. If they do booger badly enough they can most certainly run right through 'traditional' hot wire.

sheltona01
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:40 PM
Growing up the back part of my pasture was electric fence. The only thing we did was made sure any new horse knew and respected the electric fence in a control environment. What we did is we set up a line in a fenced in area and put grain on the other side. If the horse knew about electric fence, they would not try to eat the grain. If they did not they learned quickly. ;)

To introduce the new horse to the pasture we had them spend a couple of weeks getting to know each other over a fence. When we felt they were comfortable with each other we lock up the other horses. Then we would walk the new horse around the field so he knew where the fence was located. Then we would release the new horse and the other horses. We never had a problem with them going though a fence, but it was about 10 to 15 acres for 4 horses.

The real problem was the deer. They would sometimes take the fence down. In addition, my mom always trimmed the grass around the fence with a weed eater so there would not be electric shorts.

I hope this is helpful.

msj
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:15 PM
Besides the surveyors tape you can also put egg cartons on the fence between the posts. They are pretty visible and I've seen it done and never heard of any problems with the horses. I don't remember though if the cartons were the cardboardy type or the styrofoam type.

But as we all know, if a horse is going to get into trouble, there is no such thing as safe fencing.

Good luck.