PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Where to Stay near Richmond, VA??

Emstah
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
My mum (Riverbendpol) and I are heading down to Aiken on the 30th of Jan from Maine. We have just recently decided to ship our own ponies rather than send them commercially, but now we need somewhere for the horses to stay over the night of the 30th. We are hoping to get in a 10 hour drive that day which will land us somewhere around Richmond, VA.

Anyone know where our boys (2 TB geldings with very good sleepover manners (no kicking/cribbing/chewing/screaming etc.)) could crash for a night? RBP and I are happy in a cheap hotel near by or sleeping in the trailer, so no need to worry about us! Any leads would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

RiverBendPol
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:33 PM
.....RBP and I are happy in a cheap hotel near by or sleeping in the trailer, so no need to worry about us! Any leads would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

O yoo hoo, did you forget the trailers will be somewhat crowded?! :) Cheap hotel it is.

mellsmom
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:25 AM
64, 95?

If you tell us the route, I might can help you find a place.

I'm right off 64, but despite having 2 out of three on stall rest.... don't have stable room. Could maybe pop you in a fouton and an air mattress if you find a barn close to me.There aren't hotels around where I am. There are a few near Short Pump.... prolly 30 minutes from any barns west of the city.

mellsmom
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:28 AM
OK, if coming down 95 noth...you can stay in ashland, va. Decent hotels and a few cheapies.

Do a websearch on Hanover County, Va barns or Ashland, VA barns and you should be able to find a place. You can also try contacting Woodside Equine Clinic in Ashland and see if they would let you rent a turn out paddock for the night or stalls overnight in their barn. 804-798-3281.

Emstah
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks mellsmom! Great tips :) I'll look into that!

GotSpots
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:39 AM
Also, think carefully about the time it takes to get around the beltway and make sure you're not trying to hit DC anywhere even close to rush hour. you might be better off hopping over to Middleburg area (from B'more, take 70 over to 15 and zip down) and staying there for the night where you'll have lots of options, and then heading down to Aiken from there (29 or over to 81 and down). Ask me how I know about the fun that the DC beltway isn't with a truck/trailer . . .

RiverBendPol
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks, Gals-The Beltway thing is why we're driving on a Saturday. NObody will be out then, right?:no::lol:

KSevnter
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
A friend and I boarded at this place for about a year in college in the mid 90's. We left because our youngsters needed more turnout, but that obviously isn't an issue for an overnighter. The place was immaculate, that is for sure! It is off of 295 in glen allen. It might be worth a call.

Autumn Wood Farm

(804) 798-6424

Interstate 295 & Nuckols Rd N, Glen Allen, VA 23059

imissvixen
Jan. 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
He trains in Richmond and may be able to put you up at his place. His email is doublediamondtraining@yahoo.com or you can call him at 919-697-5536.

mellsmom
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:15 AM
is in Chesterfield County south of Richmond and not so easy to get to off the beltway. I had already considered them but thought it wouldn't be the most logical option.

The belway around DC is a total crapshoot no matter when you drive it. I've sat in traffic for hours at odd times for no particular reason. I HATE IT and often opt for the 15/29S route.

I think Yvonne came from berry ville Berryville one year and opted for the rt 81 trip. That might be ok as well. That year we got snowed on all the way from Charlottesville quite a ways south and I think she had a pretty smooth trip.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 22, 2010, 01:15 PM
Probably further south than you want but we do layovers and are jsut off I-95, usually have horses laying over on the way to Florida though, not Aiken, but Aiken is a good 5 - 6 hours away from us.