View Full Version : When does the awful DMSO smell go away?

Jan. 20, 2010, 09:18 PM
I just brought home a mare who spent three weeks at the university vet hospital. One of her many treatments was DMSO. I don't recall exactly what day it was given, but I think it was Thursday or Fridayish. (It's been a LONG three weeks.)

So.... how long until the horrible smell goes away? I can't believe how strong it is. I can smell it 30 feet from her stall. It can't be pleasant for her either! I have zero experience with DMSO -- I've never had any reason to use it, or have a vet use it previously.

ex-racer owner
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:23 PM
I had a horse get DMSO years ago. He received it either IV, IM, or in a bag of fluids- I can't remember now. Anyhow, you could smell him ten stalls down! I can remember that onion-y smell to this day. It did take a few days for the whole barn to be able to take a collective breath of fresh air :lol:

I hope your horse is on the road to recovery.

Jan. 20, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'd put DMSO on my horse's hock / stifle and the smell would go away quickly...it was mainly just when I opened the jar that I wanted to die :lol: Not sure about when it's given IV or anything though.

Jan. 20, 2010, 11:01 PM
If it was IV it takes a while to go away completely, but it will begin to fade and be gone completely in a week or two.

Jan. 21, 2010, 01:45 AM
Haha! I work at a horse-pital, and you can tell before you walk in the door when a horse is getting DMSO. What a nasty, sickly sweet kind of smell. It will probably take about a week for it to mostly go away, maybe a little more.

I do always wonder if it tastes as bad for the horses as it smells to us?

Jan. 21, 2010, 01:11 PM
A few days at least... just be thankful you don't work at a "horse hospital" and have a row of stalls filled w/ horses all hooked up w/ IV's w/ DMSO :lol:. Not a great thing to walk into at 5:30 in the morning :lol:!

But it does work :yes:. A vet used it on my old guy a couple of years ago and the smell stayed w/ him and in the barn for days. It did go away eventually :).

Lesley Feakins
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:16 PM
I would say about 5 - 7 days. I could smell it as soon as I stepped foot in the barn for about a week. It became less pungent after 3 - 4 days. Its awful!

Jan. 21, 2010, 03:35 PM
after i air dried my mare's leg wraps used over a DMSO mixture in our laundry room.
it actually reminded him of the hospital smell from when his father was dying of cancer.

to me it just smells like a sick horsey.

Jan. 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
Funny. Years ago I brought a filly home from the vet clinic -- she had been given DMSO IV. Her prognosis was guarded and I thought she smelled like... well, like DEATH. I knew nothing about DMSO having an odor.

What's funny is that my vet recommended a supplement for her because she had gotten very thin and weak during her illness. I smelled that death smell till shortly after I discontinued the supplement. I'd say it was probably three months total.

I always blamed the supplement, and maybe I was right, since no one here has indicated that the DMSO smell would last that long! I guess I'll never know. She just exuuuuuuded it though, through her pores and breath and manure. I kinda hope I never encounter it again, whatever the cause!

Jan. 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
ewww never! blah I hate that smell, it's so terrible!! It won't go away until its out of her system and all that. In actuality it's probably just going to be no more than a week.

Jan. 21, 2010, 10:20 PM
Ugh, I had a gelding go on DMSO IV for stones. Every time I walked into the barn my nose tried to leave my face. :eek: Nasty!
The smell took about a week to 10 days to not stink up the barn. The smell was still in his urine for that long.
For those of you who work in horspitals...do you ever get used to that smell?

Jan. 21, 2010, 11:01 PM
Thank you everyone!

The smell is MUCH MUCH MUCH less noticeable today. Yesterday it was absolutely shocking how bad it was. Today I barely noticed it. What a relief!!!