PDA

View Full Version : My Breyer eventing tack. *PICS*!!!

Tobias
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:57 PM
I want to thank you all for the ideas that you gave me for this eventing set. If it were mine I would have done more of what you guys said, but my customer wants LOTS of detail. even if to me it looks busy. So...here is a picture of the set. I do not have the boots, half pad, or flair nose strip on my horse. i will put them on my customers horse. I forgot to put the over girth on too.

Let me know what you think! I think it makes my other saddles look bad.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Tobias13/101_1824.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Tobias13/101_1818.jpg

lizathenag
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
I didn't know Cigar evented!

looks great

poltroon
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:06 PM
Nice work.

(Yes, Cigar makes an outstanding event horse. Also a great roping horse and barrel horse!)

Tobias, I'd suggest trimming some of the straps. The stirrup leather bight is longer than it needs to be, and ditto with the bight on the breastplate straps and the bridle, especially the loose end on the figure-8 noseband. I would suggest also that some judges aren't familiar with that style of breastplate, and that it be shown with a supporting photograph.

Make sure that the bottom of the figure-8 noseband is clearly BELOW the bit mouthpiece. As you have it here, that could be a DQ mistake. Use sticky wax if need be.

The saddle is especially elegant, and the reins came out nicely. Lovely raised detail on the browband, too.

Tobias
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks Guys, all the straps will be trimmed to fit the horse it was made for. Cigar is a bit small so I make everything big. He is a great eventer. He looks better than Strapless :lol:.
What do you mean about the bottom of the figure-8? I do have it right? It looks off a bit because it is just a wire stuck through his mouth. I will make sure that everything is positioned right. My customer is used to WP showing. She is very knowledgeable and wants to win so she will do what ever it takes!

Thanks again!

EventerAJ
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:45 PM
Looks fantastic!

The leatherwork detail is amazing... it really does look like the real thing!

My only little comment would be to raise the bit ring a little higher, it should be more level with (approximately) the fuzzy disc of the fig-8 noseband.

Tie a knot at the buckle end of the reins and you're perfect!

Also, when you put the overgirth on, make sure it lies beneath the (excess) stirrup leather. The stirrups should hang free, unrestricted so that if one's foot were to get caught, the whole thing can come off the stirrup bar. (Not held on by the overgirth!). Also, it appears as if the overgirth may not need to go through the loops of the breastplate, if the bp is up close/beneath the saddle flap. :) Great work!!

WNT
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:12 PM
Where is that jaw-dropping smiley... Wow!

3dazey
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:01 PM
You are AMAZING!

I have always loved tiny, detailed things like really good doll furniture, and this is just beautiful.

I'm all warm and fuzzy now, :cool:

rideforthelaurels16
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:02 PM
That is SO cool!! Did you teach yourself how to make them? I would love to learn!!

LexInVA
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:04 PM
I should take up model building or something. I need a hobby.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:06 PM
That set is very nice! I love all the little details. :)

EightBelles134
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:06 PM
looks fantastic, the detail is amazing

Mara
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:12 PM
That is amazing! Nice work.

southhillstables
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
looks awesome, you should pitch that idea to breyer or start selling them!

ex-racer owner
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
AWESOME!

Tobias
Jan. 21, 2010, 05:21 AM
Thanks Guys!

I did teach myself to do it. I never liked the Breyer saddles, I had to make them more detailed. so i did.

I do sell them, that is what supports my horse.
This set was customized for a customer. They pay big money to show them. Works for me. :D

I really appreciate all your comments, and tips. I do not know much about eventing, as I do hunter jumpers. So all of your help has been great! THANK YOU!!!!

Noctis
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:41 AM
WOW. Thats amazing. I think it makes my brain hurt thinking of how to make them!

Duramax
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
Love love love the HS stirrups!! :yes:

poltroon
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
What do you mean about the bottom of the figure-8? I do have it right? It looks off a bit because it is just a wire stuck through his mouth.

What I mean is that the bottom loop of the figure-8 should go below the bit, so that for example if the bit were not attached to the headstall, the noseband would still hold it in the mouth. (I don't mean that's its function, or that you would ever do that, just trying to be very clear with my words.) As it is positioned now, from the angle of the photograph, it is not clear whether the noseband is going above or below the bit 'mouthpiece'. If you do have it correct, it might help to raise the bit slightly and/or to make sure that the noseband shows a definite bend/change of angle where it goes across the bit mouthpiece.

clpony
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
stunning work.
looks fabulous....wondering if he couldn't use some galloping boots to protect his fancy legs whilst jumping!

Tobias
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ok I see, Yes I do have the bottom strap of the figure-8 below the bit mouth piece. I do need to raise it up, but thats where the holes for the mouth piece are and its not very easy to make new ones. I will make sure that it is placed right on the horse it is going on. Thanks! It help to have you guys, you see more than I do!

He has boots but they have to be fastened with sticky wax, so I did not want to put them on my horse I will wait til they can go on the other horse.

He has a Flair nose strip too! I should have put it on.

ellebeaux
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
I love the stirrups too! I wish I still collected Breyers, I would covet this.

What did you use for the stirrup pads?

blackwly
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
That's completely amazing. I'm glad I'm not still 12 years old because I would be CRAVING that stuff!

poltroon
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ok I see, Yes I do have the bottom strap of the figure-8 below the bit mouth piece. I do need to raise it up, but thats where the holes for the mouth piece are and its not very easy to make new ones. I will make sure that it is placed right on the horse it is going on. Thanks! It help to have you guys, you see more than I do!

What I might do is pull the mouthpiece out of the hole just a little bit, and bend the wire, so it has a sense of having a bit of tension on it and a bit of exposed mouthpiece, and then let the bottom part of the strap slide over the exposed mouthpiece below the ring.

Tobias
Jan. 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
That is a good idea about the mouth piece. Thanks!

THe stirrups son't have pads, they have the texture of a metal grip. Some people paint them white to look like pads, but I leave mine, I like the metal better.

you don't have to be 12 to be craving it! I am 22 and I still do! I am just glad that I can just make my own stuff, my parents would kill me if I spent that much on a fake saddle. :lol:

My parents are glad that I am on the selling side of the model horse world not the buying.

kookicat
Jan. 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
That is amazing! :D

Can you tell us a bit more about how you make it? :) I love stuff like this- makes me want to dig my old model horses out and start collecting them again.

dixiedolphin
Jan. 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
That looks awesome! Makes me miss having Breyers--I ended up selling all but my three absolute favorites (which still live on my bookshelves) during my poverty years.

That tack is just amazing, though! Excellent work! I never had the fine-detail-dexterity to even attempt making stuff like that!

Tobias
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
That is amazing! :D

Can you tell us a bit more about how you make it? :) I love stuff like this- makes me want to dig my old model horses out and start collecting them again.

It takes a lot of patience and time. I have to get the right thickness of leather in the right color. I have to use leather that is paper thin for wrapping the knee rolls and seat. and thicker stuff for the panels. all the stirrups and buckles are bought on www.riorondo.com
Actually a lot of my supplies are from there. lace for the bridles too.

As far as actually putting them together, it just depends on what techniques work for you. you just have to try it and figure things out. Rio Rondo has some kits with instructions that you can buy.

If anyone wants tack or something to like their own horse let me know! thats my favorite is making a replica of a real set.

eventingismylife
Jan. 23, 2010, 04:29 AM
I love it, it is very realistic, you did a beautiful job!

Bif
Jan. 23, 2010, 05:10 AM
Lovely saddle, very nice!!

I am not into Breyers, but do find myself fascinated more and more by them and their tack. A blog I love is http://braymere.blogspot.com/ and she does tips, etc on construction. She answers questions and seems to have some really clever ways of replicating this stuff.

Awesome work!

RiverBendPol
Jan. 25, 2010, 06:41 PM
Want even MORRRRRE detail? Try these. :winkgrin: Your stuff is beautiful, BTW.
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Dee_Savers_p/0140.htm

SprinklerBandit
Jan. 26, 2010, 05:33 PM
Wow. This is amazing. Good job! I wish I was still into breyers... unfortunately, the real thing is way too expensive.