View Full Version : Saddle recommendations

Jan. 20, 2010, 02:55 PM
I am thinking about getting a new saddle. I have recently switched over from the hunter/jumpers to eventing and I am still riding in my hunter saddle. I would like something with a deeper seat but not extreme, my saddle now is very flat so I don't want to make a dramatic change. I am looking to spend around $1000. Any recommendations?

Jan. 21, 2010, 09:10 AM
You can still event in your flat hunter saddle. When you get more experience, you can try other saddles. For $1K, there is not much out there new that is high quality. You might want to keep your eyes open for a nice used saddle. Try a bunch and see what you think. You are right, you don't want a drastic change. See what feels comfortable. A few in the $1K range new that are decent: M. Toulousse, Ovation Evolution, a few Courbette, Stubben and Bates are in the $1500 range. My first recommendation is a Prestige Eventer. But you wont' even find one used in the $1K range. ;) They are worth it, though. Congrats on making the switch. :)

Jan. 21, 2010, 09:48 AM
I evented novice in my no knee roll collegiate graduate for years on several different horses, as well as did junior working hunter (3'9'') for a year or two and jumped various heights up to 5' and restarted OTTBs with it. I liked it, I felt secure and comfortable in it. If you are comfortable with it and have a secure leg, you should be fine. Now I have a County Stabilizer, i find it very comfy and secure. I sat in my friend's super flat no knee roll crosby (i think its a) prix de nations, and I felt totally insecure suddenly! I can't believe how used to knee rolls I've become! before the county I had a duett presto, which was nice too. I think when I first started sitting in saddles with more padding and slightly deeper seat I felt clausterphobic but now riding in the flat saddles I feel like I'm sitting on a board.

If I were in the market for a saddle I think I would go with a black country or a county, but mostly because I know they fit me, are good quality, and would fit my mare.

Jan. 21, 2010, 09:49 AM
If you want something a little deeper, but that doesn't feel super deep, I'd reccommend find a Black Country Wexford. Love mine, and several others here love theirs. They aren't in the price range you mentioned, but are worth it if you save your pennies.

In the meantime you can ride in the hunter saddle you have though. Saving your money for a nice, quality saddle will be worth every cent, and worth the wait. :)