PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a steel trailer in white?

tpup
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:09 PM
Still deciding on color for my new Adam Bronco II stock combo. Few friends feel strongly about white - some say much easier to touch up - white is easy to match paint to, and easier to sell later...but it will obviously show rust stains, drips much faster. White is open, airy for the horses. I'm deciding between white or Adam's "driftwood" color - silver but not the super light silver color. Adam says if I wax it within 90 days that will really help, and also make sure I touch up any dings, chips when they occur to prevent rust stains and drips. I can picture an aluminum in white, but haven't seen any steel in my searches.

Anyone with white? Hate it? Love it?

BTW I'll be ordering the trailer in the next 24 hours so I will stop with all my questions! :lol:You've all been very helpful.

SkipHiLad4me
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have a steel white Sundowner 2h bumper pull that is a 1995 model. In the first 10 yrs or so of its life, it spent a good deal of time in an enclosed shelter, which I'm sure helped tremendously with the condition of the paint. For the last 5-6 years though, it has been outdoors and exposed to the full elements. I have some rust spots in places, mostly around the tongue, but it's been really easy just to buff them and spray paint them white again to protect and cover the areas. I don't find that the rust color runs on the paint. I like the white color because it's very bright and airy feeling inside of the trailer. I wash it and wax it every so often, which has helped the paint maintain its condition.

Ozone
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:31 PM
Ever notice many trailers are white?

Because.... it is cooler for your horse to travel in! The sun does not absorb white! I wouldn't be concerned about drips of paint but more so the comfort of your horse :)

I have a Blue Adams trailer... It is 6 years old and has yet to need a paint touchup. It is all steel too.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:37 PM
The trailer I use is a white steel 2 horse Thuro-bilt. The white makes it very bright and inviting, but yes, it does show dirt and rust.

Tangerine Farmer
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:54 PM
I have white. It seems that everything in CA is white. It really catches your eye when you see one in another color.

I like white.. I touch up the rust spots and dings with ease. No worries about a true color match. Cooler temps also.

I had a tan one years ago... still saw the rust, you can't hide it if the color is light.

grinanride
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
lots of touching up will be required on a white ( raw ) steel trailer if you want to keep the trailer looking as good as possible as long as possible, you will probably have some areas of rust right away on moving parts, especially hinges - you can use WD 40 on all moving parts to keep them coated and moving freely - ask Adam if they caulk all seams and caulk the side posts, keep all seams caulked including the roof, and wax does help including the roof that takes a beating outside - if you go with driftwood it would not show the rust drips as much but they will still be there so care still applies.
Risa
happytrailstrailers
balancedridetrailers

lizathenag
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have a Trails West Sierra (which I adore) in White. It has lived outside its 8 years. If there is rust, I would like to see it.

SLW
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
My Titan is white. Better for the horse's comfort, brighter interior for nightime loading and easy peasey to touch up with white paint!! :)

Sneekers
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:54 PM
My trailer is a 2horse white (steel) stock trailer and even living outside for the past 5 1/2 years, under trees, in the NE, etc. it still looks great ~ especially after a washdown. I love it. Would have bought a "matching" truck this year, but no job, no truck. Next year :)

Love the white :)

Calvincrowe
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
White Trails West. I think it is 16 years old now..or is it 14? Anyhoo, it is cool, and easy to see rust or chips on--so easier to quickly find dings/damage and fix before it gets bad. My poor baby has lived all its years exposed to the rain here in the PNW, so it is showing its age, but a good wash each summer and some wax and it is still going strong.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:40 PM
Mine is white NOW...

The 1969 Stidham was white too, for it's third colour...

I bought an S&S in the 'pewter'/grey colour you first were talking about (but different brand, hence why i didn't post on that...) It was pretty and classy. But I didn't really take care of it--I only waxed it like once, and that was car-wash-spray-wax, not the real thing, so of course it eventually started oxidizing.

And six years later, did the Rustoleum white. I LOVE white best. It's cool in summer, doesn't show dirt, and seems sooo bright and inviting to the horses.

My stallion lives on his 'box stall on wheels' when we are away, so it's super important that it's comfy in hot weather for him. The white made a difference you could feel.

I would never order anything BUT white again given a choice, it wasn't a choice when I ordered. ;)

KristiKGC
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Ever notice many trailers are white?

Because.... it is cooler for your horse to travel in! The sun does not absorb white! I wouldn't be concerned about drips of paint but more so the comfort of your horse :)

I have a Blue Adams trailer... It is 6 years old and has yet to need a paint touchup. It is all steel too.

This is what I was going to say. I don't know where you live, but I noticed this when I moved to SC. My silver trailer stays warmer than my friend's white one. Not good in the south, but wouldn't have been an issue in CT.

mitma
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:24 AM
I have a 2007 WHITE Adams "Overniter" (steel), which is a 4 horse open stock style trailer... I got a great deal on it, I chose white due to the heat factor that others have referred to... I have driven the heck out of it... including alot of winter driving from VA to PA, and it has definitely taken a hit... snow, all that stuff they dump on the roads to melt the snow... the front, especially near the transition to the sides of the trailer has lots of "chips" from the snow crud being flung up there... I keep thinking that I need to get it sanded and repainted in those areas... Now, of course I could have done a better job of maintenance and upkeep... Unfortunately, the trailer lives outside 24/7... and there's no freeloading cowboy in my life to do some of the horse chores that I don't seem to find time for :)... But, bottom line is that I have really enjoyed this trailer (it is so awesome for transporting the mare/foal pair anywhere) and would definitely buy another white one... I would just try to take a little better care of it and, of course, it would be great to keep it in a protected area... I do kinda think that for my next trailer (this was my first), that I might look in to steel framing with aluminum skin to lighten the load... Good Luck!

Bluey
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:29 AM
Most stock trailers here are steel and white.

Going down the road, white is easily seen, so other cars will know you are there, when other colors sometimes blend too much, like grays and blues, especially the darker ones, at twilight.

I would get whatever color you like anyway because, while there may be some slight differences in performance for several reasons due to color, I bet there is little difference after all in what color a trailer is.:yes:

Ozone
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
This is what I was going to say. I don't know where you live, but I noticed this when I moved to SC. My silver trailer stays warmer than my friend's white one. Not good in the south, but wouldn't have been an issue in CT.

I live by your old neck of the woods in CT :) but I had a black trailer at one point and a light grey and then a white one and boy even the light grey one was warmer then my white one. The black - of course was roasting! I have a Navy blue one now but it is a stock so at least the sides are open for ventilation!

LOVE WHITE!