PDA

View Full Version : For all you event breeding buffs....Check out Bruce's new young stallion!

BigRuss1996
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
I know many are seeking out sporthorse stallions to breed to for eventing so thought I'd pass on the info for those looking...

His name is "Keltic Lion" (aka "Charlie"). He was imported by Bruce from Ireland as a baby and has his first foals on the ground who are now yearlings...all are really nice looking and super friendly just like their dad. His second crop are due this spring.

www.brucedavidsonsreventing.com

scubed
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:02 PM
Not a breeding buff, but yummm.... He is super handsome!

gotta-love-caspians
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:01 PM
Oh my he is awesome!!!!:D

AppJumpr08
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:13 PM
FINALLY!!! :D I've been dying to know what he looked like ever since you told me about him :)

raave05
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
nice looking stallion...but can someone please tell the webmaster to change out that horrible looking fuzzy picture on the homepage?

curlykarot
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:24 PM
Ah, so thats what he Charlie looks like. I had heard that he was tall, dark and handsome - he certainly lives up to that! Can't wait to see some of his babies.

Thanks for the link!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the link. He does have the bloodlines..and if he can't jump....then breeding really is a crap shoot!

Will be nice to see what he produces....I loved Eagle Lion ....and Lux Z!

Hilary
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:30 PM
MMMMM - I'll be looking for a foal in a few years....

BigRuss1996
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
Actually he is a really good jumper. He is currently down in Fla with the rest of the horses for the winter and I believe he is going to start competing sometime this year. He is still quite young so hasn't done alot yet.
"Iggy" (aka "Eagle") was/is awsome! I bring him carrots regularly. He now helps raise all the babies :)

Thanks for the link. He does have the bloodlines..and if he can't jump....then breeding really is a crap shoot!

Will be nice to see what he produces....I loved Eagle Lion ....and Lux Z!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:34 PM
Actually he is a really good jumper. He is currently down in Fla with the rest of the horses for the winter and I believe he is going to start competing sometime this year. He is still quite young so hasn't done alot yet.
"Iggy" (aka "Eagle") was/is awsome! I bring him carrots regularly. He now helps raise all the babies :)

Good to know...he certainly looks like he should jump! And Bruce seems really excited about him.....and I can see why! I'll be sure to come check him out if I bred my mare again...he does look like a nice cross for her.

Foxhall
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:50 PM
Cool! This horse is by the same sire as my event horse!

vineyridge
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:23 PM
Didn't he have a gray Lion stallion that was gelded and sold to a young hunter rider? Who used to post here years ago? I forget that one's name, due to my advancing age. :)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
Didn't he have a gray Lion stallion that was gelded and sold to a young hunter rider? Who used to post here years ago? I forget that one's name, due to my advancing age. :)

Was that Lion King?

QHEventr
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:48 PM
His name was Lion King, though not grey....I had a VERY talented gelding by him.....Sad to see him gelded.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:03 AM
Who is the gray horse on the maine page of the website? High Scope? I like the picture. But I can't figure out who it is :)

IrishWillow
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:54 AM
He's very nice looking!
Any idea what the stud fee is?

retreadeventer
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:09 AM
Very nice looking, not perfect, but certainly if Bruce selected him, I'm not going to let one picture make the decision for me! Will he be doing Young Event Horse or competing at all? It would be good to see pictures of him competing, so you get an idea of what he moves like - or video clips. ALSO would like to see foal pictures, and video - if he has any yearlings, will they be brought out at any FEH things? (They should be). It would help others to see what a "young event horse" should look like....so the judges don't end up pinning Friesians and Hannoverians all the time.....sigh.....

BigRuss1996
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:12 AM
It's Cruise !..The picture is a bit blurred (it's suppose to be) so hard to tell. It's not my favorite.

Who is the gray horse on the maine page of the website? High Scope? I like the picture. But I can't figure out who it is :)

BigRuss1996
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
Lion King was a liver chestnut (same family on the Dam's side). The grey stallion he rode was High Scope who was also Irish but not related.

Eventer55
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
I can't find any pictures of him moving and different angles would help clear up some of the conformation questions. Are there other photos?

AppJumpr08
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:15 AM
Wow!! Never in a million years would I have guessed that! I still think of Cruise as a baby... and he is so grown up here :)

graytbmare
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Wow! He makes me wish I had plan to breed my mare soon... Charlie + Charlie...

BigRuss1996
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Lol...I know and he is so white now! It's fun to see them grow up but also makes you feel so old...hahaha

Wow!! Never in a million years would I have guessed that! I still think of Cruise as a baby... and he is so grown up here :)

BigRuss1996
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:33 AM
For those wanting more pics the web site is very new so they aren't finished getting pictures up yet. They won't be able to get more baby pics up until spring when they are back up here. Anyone who is really seriously looking at him to breed to this year can call and a short video could be put together for you.
Please keep posting feedback reguarding the website as it helps to know what people want to see. There will also be a blog coming to the website.

Ajierene
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:13 AM
I think the stallion does need more pictures, it just looks kind of eh in that one. I'm sure you will get more!

I don't like the picture on the home page either - the mound that is being jumped keeps looking like a bull to me! I keep thinking 'why is Bruce jumping a bull?'....maybe that's just me.

I will say, I LOVE that there are direct links to USEA records! I think that is the first time I have ever seen that on sale horse pages and it just makes me trust the horse seller even more. Not that I wouldn't trust Bruce anyway, but you get what I am saying.

I like how the sale horses are designated, but no pricing? That kind of worries me. I very much prefer pricing on sale horses, especially the prospects and proven. The four star horses offer 'part ownership', so I expect that to be more custom, but not for the others.

DancingBrave
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:04 PM
Please keep posting feedback reguarding the website as it helps to know what people want to see.

"Lux Z, who won the gold medal in Athens for show jumping for Germany".

This sentence may need a little tweaking! Lux Z jumped at the Sydney Olympics for Jerry Smit (IT) when the Italian team finished in ninth place. AFAIK Lux Z had retired to stud by the Athens Olympics, where the US team won showjumping gold.

Maybe Lux Z won at the Athens CSIO?

BigRuss1996
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks DancingBrave!!...I will let them know..

"Lux Z, who won the gold medal in Athens for show jumping for Germany".

This sentence may need a little tweaking! Lux Z jumped at the Sydney Olympics for Jerry Smit (IT) when the Italian team finished in ninth place. AFAIK Lux Z had retired to stud by the Athens Olympics, where the US team won showjumping gold.

Maybe Lux Z won at the Athens CSIO?

archieflies
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:48 PM
Oooooh, I like!

While I have NO experience as a breeder, I like Bruce's philosophies as far as breeding and raising young horses... I remember in college he came and did a lecture on event horse breeding at the vet school... no clue why he was in TX, seemed random, and mostly only a small group of Pony Clubbers even showed up... but I was impressed. :)

Maybe someday my mare will want to have a baby.......

denny
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:47 AM
Bruce was pretty adamant about preferring thoroughbreds at that USEA seminar, but this one is half Holsteiner, so even Bruce is accepting that things are different in the new format, it seems to me.
Lux Z is about as Holsteiner as you can get.

Maryanne Nicpon
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
It makes me so happy that there are so many event riders out there now who are riding Holsteiners and Holsteiner crosses. Cavalier Royale was a convincing argument for this. Recently there were Samarai and the up and coming Claire de Lune, ridden by Robyn Fisher. Now Denny has one in his barn and Bruce has one who will be competing and breeding. My only wish would be that Keltic Lion be called a "half-Holsteiner" rather than an Irish Sport Horse.

YES, I am a Holsteiner breeder.

BigRuss1996
Jan. 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
haha...I totally agree with you but there are alot of horses competing today that are called ISH that have other blood in them.
Personally as someone who grew up on a pure Irishbred breeding farm (meaning our horses had no other blood in them other then TBxID) it irks me to see horses being called Irish Sporthorses when they have German blood , etc in them. He was born in Ireland and has an Irish passport etc so that makes him Irish. Same goes for our Irish registry here they approve mares that are German blood, etc and they have foals that are registered ISH or Irish mares bred to warmbloods. Then again the warmbloods have been doing this for years. Look in most of their papers...they are part Hanoverian,part Holsteiner, part Oldenburg etc. but they will be registered as one of the many crosses depending on which breed the mares approved for.
This stallion does cross really well on TB mares though. All his babies are very balanced and very athletically built and he passes on good bone.

It makes me so happy that there are so many event riders out there now who are riding Holsteiners and Holsteiner crosses. Cavalier Royale was a convincing argument for this. Recently there were Samarai and the up and coming Claire de Lune, ridden by Robyn Fisher. Now Denny has one in his barn and Bruce has one who will be competing and breeding. My only wish would be that Keltic Lion be called a "half-Holsteiner" rather than an Irish Sport Horse.

YES, I am a Holsteiner breeder.

TxEventer81
Jan. 22, 2010, 07:24 PM
Oooooh, I like!

While I have NO experience as a breeder, I like Bruce's philosophies as far as breeding and raising young horses... I remember in college he came and did a lecture on event horse breeding at the vet school... no clue why he was in TX, seemed random, and mostly only a small group of Pony Clubbers even showed up... but I was impressed. :)

Maybe someday my mare will want to have a baby.......

If this was about 6-ish years ago... Give or take. Then Bruce was at Meadow Creek teaching a clinic. That's the only time I recall him being in that area. I could be wrong. Sorry for my temporary hi-jack :)

kookicat
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:08 PM
He's a nice boy. :) Would love to see a better picture. :D Does anyone else think that he looks a little bit preggers in that one? :winkgrin:

Edit- also, I love Rock on Rose and Hector! :D Maybe when I win the lotto...

http://www.brucedavidsonsreventing.com/Pages/FourStar.html

http://www.brucedavidsonsreventing.com/Pages/Proven.html

Blugal
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
Bruce was pretty adamant about preferring thoroughbreds at that USEA seminar, but this one is half Holsteiner, so even Bruce is accepting that things are different in the new format, it seems to me.
Lux Z is about as Holsteiner as you can get.

Or maybe you & Bruce are both using your business sense about what market those stallions will be selling to as far as stud fees, young horses for amateurs and 4-star prospects.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:21 PM
He's a nice boy. :) Would love to see a better picture. :D Does anyone else think that he looks a little bit preggers in that one? :winkgrin:

Edit- also, I love Rock on Rose and Hector! :D Maybe when I win the lotto...

http://www.brucedavidsonsreventing.com/Pages/FourStar.html

http://www.brucedavidsonsreventing.com/Pages/Proven.html

While we're at it.. I'd die to have a filly with lines like HRH Patricia :yes::yes:

kookicat
Jan. 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
While we're at it.. I'd die to have a filly with lines like HRH Patricia :yes::yes:

Ooh, yes. That is some yummy breeding!

YankeeLawyer
Jan. 23, 2010, 12:10 AM
I think he looks like a cool horse. I would love to see some video of him under saddle.

pwynnnorman
Jan. 23, 2010, 11:25 AM
Nice! But I'm surprised he's so big, BigRuss. Didn't Bruce always express favor for 16.0 roughly? Do you know if he's changed his mind on that preference (or whether he's standing this fellow not necessarily as a ride, but as a commercial stallion)? I'd love to know how he feels about size these days.

Bravestrom
Mar. 8, 2010, 10:07 PM
Good for him to breed the stallion as a 3 yr old - at least by the time the horse has a decent eventing career under him he will have some babies as 2, 3 and 4 year olds that people can see what he throws.

Boggles my mind when people wait until they are 9 or 10 and spend all this money training and showing with no idea what they will actually throw.

I bred my stallion as a 2 yr old - so as 3 yr old he is actually going to have a foal this year. You really need to see what they throw.

Good for him

carolprudm
Mar. 9, 2010, 09:14 AM
haha...I totally agree with you but there are alot of horses competing today that are called ISH that have other blood in them.
Personally as someone who grew up on a pure Irishbred breeding farm (meaning our horses had no other blood in them other then TBxID) it irks me to see horses being called Irish Sporthorses when they have German blood , etc in them. He was born in Ireland and has an Irish passport etc so that makes him Irish. Same goes for our Irish registry here they approve mares that are German blood, etc and they have foals that are registered ISH or Irish mares bred to warmbloods. .

LOL, Sophie is 1/4 Trak(Falke), 1/4 Conn and 1/2 RID (Touch of the Blues) and she is approved as a sport horse. Because of the Trak blood, unless they change the current rules, neither she nor her foals can ever be registered as anything but sport horses.

Editing for clarity
Sophie's dam is not eligible for inspection because she has no RID blood. Sophie is because she is 1/2 RID

gold2012
Mar. 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
Anyone know what the stud fee is? Saw him in his stall here in Florida and just love him.

BigRuss1996
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
sent you PM

Anyone know what the stud fee is? Saw him in his stall here in Florida and just love him.