PDA

View Full Version : This cant be true!!!!

Canadianevntr
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.mugshotsocala.com/

someone sent me this this morning. does anyone know if its true?
click on the picture.......

missamandarose
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
*cough*choke* LMAO! NOT what I expected. now i'm dying to know...

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:33 PM
Why would there be such a website, I'm thinking? Seems kind of fishy to me.

Ajierene
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:35 PM
The fairly famous sheriff in Arizona or somewhere had a camera in the booking room with internet feed so you could see who was being booked.

To me, this looks like the police blotter section of the local newspaper, but I could not find anything else about the incident so its legitimacy is up in the air right now.

Horsegal984
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
Not sure why that website is so less official looking but arrest records and mug shots are public record, and can be looked up through the county sherriff's website.

Canadianevntr
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
thats what i thot but apparently all of the public records in fl are open for all to see. how else would they have the other people on their.

Albion
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:37 PM

It's run by an Ocala newspaper. I don't think it's a joke, and not sure why it'd be "fishy" - FL makes it pretty easy to dig up information on people who have been arrested/booked for something. There was a huge issue a few years ago w/ a horse show announcer - pretty sure it was "discovered" on a website just like this.

Canadianevntr
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
just talked to my friends in Ocala. Apparently this case has been a long time coming

caffeinated
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:39 PM

There are lots of websites like that. And some local papers publish mugshots (or the names of people taken into custody).

Found a couple similar sites from Tampa Bay and Arizona... guessing that publicizing arrests is a sort of public shaming method of deterrence. or something.

JER
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:42 PM
This is really sad.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:45 PM
Edited because I didn't realize what the charges were..
Hadn't noticed you could click on the picture and find out what it was.

What a jerk.

Eventer13
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:46 PM
Not what I was expecting.

Uh, anyone know WHY this happened?

Edited- nevermind, just clicked on his pic and found out. Asshole

EventFan
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
:no: How terribly sad.

Donkey
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
Wow :eek: If true, what an ASS!

cyriz's mom
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
Sooooo, my question - Darren is HIV postive? That's what the charge is: HIV positive person having sex without informing partner of status.

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:52 PM
There is nothing funny about this. It is very sad. Sad for Darren as well as whoever brought charges against him. This should not be posted in this forum...it is NOT horse related.

JER
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
This is no laughing matter. I'm horrified that people find humor in this.

This is a man who sustained serious brain injury. His life is obviously in deep disarray, probably with a pile-up of alienated friends and family who've tried but failed to help him.

(Also, HIV isn't the death sentence it once was. The US finally lifted the inhumane, discriminatory restrictions which banned HIV+ people from visiting the US for 22 years. Let's not slide back into cooties mode, okay?)

PhoenixFarm
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:10 PM
You know I agree that this is sad, most especially for the poor individual who brought the charges. But as far as the topic not being appropriate for this venue, well, that I'm not so sure of.

This individual has over the years consistently promoted himself (and been promoted by the higher-ups) as the "face" of eventing (and from a PR persepctive rightly so--he's attractive, well-spoken, humorous, and rode a big black stallion, doesn't get easier for the mainstream media than that, LOL). Then with all the main stream publicity following his accident, he truly became the public face of eventing. In addition, his ad is at the top of the forum. As I have warned for years, as a quasi member of the horse media, there is a price to be paid for wanting to be a star. This is it.

About a decade or more ago Mark Todd was embroiled in a scandal in the UK. Big flashy headlines in mainstream newspapers and magazines over there, paparazzi following him, sordid interviews with supposed lovers, drug dealers, etc. I said then, back on the USEA BB, that if we push our sport in to the mainstream, such as it is in Europe, these are the kinds of things we should expect from time to time.

And looky here.

I'm as sorry as I can be for all involved, truly, but there is no way this isn't a relevant, pertinent topic.

roki143
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:15 PM
Yes it is very sad....

...and I really don't think those who thought it was funny knew what the charges were when they initially commented.

But I could be wrong.

Canadianevntr
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:17 PM
i agree phoenix farm. he is an individual who portrays himself as a role model to not just kids but adults who are involved in this sport. if you put yourself out there you need to me ready to deal with the consequences when you choose conduct yourselves in a manner that is not worthy of the admiration. you need to be held accountable for your consequences. just beacause he is a public figure does not give him the righ to anonymity that others are not privy to.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yes it is very sad....

...and I really don't think those who thought it was funny knew what the charges were when they initially commented.

But I could be wrong.

if they did, i dont think they believed them.. i didnt.

CiegoStar
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:23 PM
i agree phoenix farm. he is an individual who portrays himself as a role model to not just kids but adults who are involved in this sport. if you put yourself out there you need to me ready to deal with the consequences when you choose conduct yourselves in a manner that is not worthy of the admiration. you need to be held accountable for your consequences. just beacause he is a public figure does not give him the righ to anonymity that others are not privy to.

I agree with Phoenix Farm as well. However, I question the fact that you apparently signed up specifically to post this information here. Smells like someone with an agenda to me.

Sad all around.

Canadianevntr
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:36 PM
Agenda?
I have heard about the forum from many people and was shocked as everyone on when i heard the news. i for one was on the young riders team when he was a coach and had the upmost respect for him as a person not only a coach and rider. I feel that anyone who puts themself out there as a role model for young adults should lie in the bed he has made.
So agenda I think not.
Also have you ever been to Ocala. Im surprised Im the first one on here that said anything and has made him be accountable for his actions.

jackalini
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:38 PM
I don't have enough information personally to determine whether or not I think Darren is a good rider, trainer or representative of the sport of eventing nor is it my place to judge him, so I don't.

However I can judge him as a person, and I will say if the allegations are true - and remember, an arrest does not equal guilt - he is truly a terrible human being.

And to keep this horse related, if he is proven to be guilty of this, he should not represent eventing nor our country in any way, shape or form. Participation? Not my call. Representation? Will be voting with my $$$.

sisu27
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:39 PM
Oh Darren, you fool. This is very sad.

I wonder how many of his sponsors/backers....will drop him now?

CiegoStar
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:40 PM
However, in this case, I will say if the allegations are true - and remember people, an arrest does not equal guilt - he is truly a terrible human being.

Remember - he suffered a SEVERE brain trauma.

LH
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:43 PM

So what? Not so severe that it didn't stop him from continuing to compete and put himself AND HIS HORSES at risk during competition, presumably because he had recovered and was fit enough to do so.

And "brain trauma" probably isn't a valid defense to unprotected sex by someone with HIV status, if the arrest warrant is accurate.

JER
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
Agenda?
(...snip...)
I feel that anyone who puts themself out there as a role model for young adults should lie in the bed he has made.

So that's your agenda. You've stated it clearly.

So agenda I think not.

Agenda I think so. See above.

Also have you ever been to Ocala. Im surprised Im the first one on here that said anything and has made him be accountable for his actions.

Can't make sense of this. What does any of this have to do with Ocala?

BTW, it's the local LE that's holding CD accountable for his action, not you. You're publicizing the LE situation.

As PhoenixFarm said, DC is a public figure in the sport. LE records are public as per their jurisdiction (and I much prefer openness to secrecy in these matters). But you've decided to play TMZ for your first post on this BB.

I hope DC gets a fair hearing. I hope he gets the help he needs. I hope the other party in this matter is in good health. I hope we'll have happier things to discuss on this BB.

CiegoStar
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:48 PM
So what? Not so severe that it didn't stop him from continuing to compete and put himself AND HIS HORSES at risk during competition, presumably because he had recovered and was fit enough to do so.

And "brain trauma" probably isn't a valid defense to unprotected sex by someone with HIV status, if the arrest warrant is accurate.

All bad decisions.

Just saying, there is a rather large mitigating factor here. It’s reasonable for us non-brain-damaged people to keep it in mind when condemning him. And I say that as someone who was never a fan.

I'll let a lawyer address whether brain trauma could be used as defense. I wouldn't be too surprised.

Canadianevntr
severe brain trauma?
how many riders have been in comas, had sever brain trauma, etc. look at claire smith from canada whose horse flipped on her and noone knew that she would even come out of it. she is the epitome of upstanding human being who has overcome a horrific accident. if she had gone out and dont the same thing would it have then been ok?
And my friend is a lawyer in Ocala who is also a rider...for him to be arrested means they have proven he has HIV and proven that he gave it to a previously unaffected person (who may or may not have aqquired it). They dont arrest in these kinds of cases without a lot of evidence.

jackalini

I am sorry for anyone that has to go through that, but as such, we've all come to realize that everyone's recovery is different. Should this be a result of the injury and resulting changes, the people in his life have absolutely failed him.

As I don't understand how well his mind is working currently (nor does anyone else), I will qualify my statement with if the allegations are true, the person he's become is terrible.

I suppose I equate it to someone with a mental illness. A heinous crime committed in the midst of a manic episode is no less heinous - just more sad because it could have possibly been prevented.

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:49 PM
Now it has just gotten to the point where the only word I can use to describe him is "pitiful". As in, to be pitied. What a sad destination. :(

jump4it
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:50 PM

I agree. I think this is sad for the people involved but not for him. I have only had one encounter with him and it was not good. I was waiting in line for an autograph at rolex and he made it clear the fans were not as important as his cell phone. I found it very rude and disrespectful.

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Canadian, you really should just stop now. The hole you're standing in is getting larger, deeper, and uglier by the minute. :no:

AppJumpr08
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:52 PM
I spent time around Darren WAYYY before his TBI, and he was just as self centered then is he appears to be now.

The Brain Injury had nothing to do with this decision, IMO.

flshgordon
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:53 PM

I am not sure what on earth this has to do with anything :confused: :confused: :confused:

If he did what he is charged with, he should never have another client, another sponsor or be allowed to participate in another USET sponsored event....EVER. Period.

You don't get to make a choice about someone else's life about like that no matter what kind of injury you have or haven't had. :no:

Blugal
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:55 PM
And my friend is a lawyer in Ocala who is also a rider...for him to be arrested means they have proven he has HIV and proven that he gave it to a previously unaffected person (who may or may not have aqquired it). They dont arrest in these kinds of cases without a lot of evidence.

I hope your friend is not giving out this sort of mis-information. He is innocent until proven guilty, which may or may not happen in a court of law - at a later date. In the meantime, these are unproven allegations.

subk
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:01 PM
I feel so badly for the people who love him. It's been like watching a horrendous disaster unraveling in super slow motion. I also feel sad for the people standing around gawking as if it is some form of entertainment.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Speaking as a retired prosecutor who had the first diagnosed HIV positive defendant (who wasn't a horse person but who did transfer with IBM from Louisville KY to Atlanta for better health care), I can say that full blown AIDS can cause dementia and cause a formerly sane person to commit crimes. (My white male college educated gay defendant set fire to the downtown Ritz Carleton, got out on bond and set fire to the Buckhead Ritz too.:eek:) While it is very sad for the person with AIDS, he often does commit crimes because of his dementia. My defendant was sent by me and his shrink to an inpatient private mental hopital, where the defendant had sex with a man who was in a coma. We had to confine the defendant thereafter to the Grady prison ward until his death.

While it is sad for the person who is HIV positive or who has AIDS, he should not be riding a horse and should not be having sex with men who are not informed of the possibility of contracting AIDS.

riderboy
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:20 PM
I don't think it should be on the forum. None of us come here to read personal trash I don't care who it is or what he's done. Not the place. Pull it.

TuxWink
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
I feel so badly for the people who love him. It's been like watching a horrendous disaster unraveling in super slow motion. I also feel sad for the people standing around gawking as if it is some form of entertainment.
Ditto ^^^^^^

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:29 PM
HIV positive and AIDS are not the same thing.

magnolia73
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
How very sad. And as always innocent until proven guilty. It's so sad, he was given a wonderful second chance by fate, luck and a lot of effort from others and he can not keep it together. I hope he gets some counseling and can piece together a useful life.

loshad
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
While it is sad for the person who is HIV positive or who has AIDS, he should not be riding a horse and should not be having sex with men who are not informed of the possibility of contracting AIDS.

WTF? Obviously any partner should be informed of HIV status -- that's a no brainer. HOWEVER, why the hell shouldn't a person who has HIV or AIDS be allowed to ride a horse?

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
WTF? Obviously any partner should be informed of HIV status -- that's a no brainer. HOWEVER, why the hell shouldn't a person who has HIV or AIDS be allowed to ride a horse?

I meant advanced cases. With fear of harming themselves by falling off. I've worked with a lot of HIV and AIDS guys who were very fragile.

Kaleigh007
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
My how the mighty have fallen!

dixiedolphin
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:37 PM
:( Honestly, does this really belong here? It's not our place to make judgments on a situation we cannot possibly know all angles of. Plus, 'arrested' doesn't mean 'guilty'--that's why we have a judicial system. This post just seems in poor taste.

JSwan
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:42 PM
Some of you people make me sick.

loshad
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
I meant advanced cases. With fear of harming themselves by falling off. I've worked with a lot of HIV and AIDS guys who were very fragile.

Um, a) not your decision and b) there are rather a lot of people riding who are very fragile and/or have conditions that might make it inadvisable for them to ride. None of your business. Period. :rolleyes:

Horsegal984
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
I did not realize what the charges were when I posted about public records. I also didn't know his sexual orientation, and my opinion is not affected by finding out.

I feel quite sorry for all involved, and whether or not this is true and he is 'guilty' is not for me or any of us to say. However, I think that if his brain injury is used as a defense, such as he cannot be held responsible for his actions due to mental disease or defect then he should no longer be allowed to compete. Not because I feel his HIV status is in any way relevant, but if a jury finds him incapable of making responsible decisions in that aspect what is to show he is capable of making them about the horses he's riding around the course? However, if he is found guilty or not based on any other arguments than i don't believe it should affect his rights to continue to compete.

gold2012
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:49 PM
wow. I have never been a DC fan. We did a clinic once, and was not pleased on what he did with our horse when he hoped on. BUT:

This is sad. Seriously sad. There are so many throwing stones.. If indeed he did this, then he shouldn't be a rep for this country....but that is IF. It hasn't been proven yet. And perhaps there are some mitigating circumstances we don't know about. I am sure that we will all hear about it.

As for posting this here.....they need to yank it. I am sure he is going through his own personal hell right now without this.

One of the main reasons we enjoyed eventing is really not evident here. The camaraderie, and goodness of all the fellow eventers. I hope both the young man who is bringing charges comes out okay. And I hope that DC can somehow get his life together.

LexInVA
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:52 PM
Well, this is gonna be watercooler conversation for a bit. If Equestrians had watercoolers, that is. I would also like to add that it's completely plausible that he accidentally contracted the HIV-virus post-accident through a blood transfusion or other non-sexual means so let's not jump the gun. Much as I love to make fun of the guy, I'm not gonna use the COTH Over-sized Rubber Chicken of Shame & Regret until something pertinent regarding his conduct in this alleged matter comes to light.

saje
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:06 PM
A question for all the "pull this thread, we shouldn't be talking about it!" advocates:

Would you say the same thing if we were talking about Michael Vick?

Why?

Jumphigh83
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:11 PM
This IS very sad. The saddest part is that if he lacks the integrity to disclose his medical condition to someone with whom he has been intimate, what would he fail to disclose in his business dealings with basically a total stranger? What a sad thing to happen to a professional horseman(or anyone for that matter). We(horse people) have enough to live down with all the cliches and scandals that already exist without adding THIS to the list. :(:(

Innocent Bystander
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
Question for those of you saying this shouldn't be discussed here. Why was it appropriate to discuss Bruce when he was arrested down under for possessing pot or Mark when he had his little to do, but Darren is hands-off? Are we really so "Victorian" that we can't discuss this because sex and HIV is involved?

gold2012
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:19 PM
Someone asked why pull this:

DC has not led the best example of life. He has made some poor choices. I don't think he has much of a fan club, at least not on here.

It's easy to point fingers. It's easy to judge. But tomorrow, it could be something you did that get's judged. There is no one on this board who has not done something that they regret. Something you are very glad didn't come out on COTH. Some of us learn from our mistakes, and change that which made us be stupid. Other's don't.

I know that Darren has people who care about him. For better or worse, and yes, he has done some really horrid things. BUT DO YOU KNOW IF HE KNEW HE HAD AIDS? Do you KNOW if he knew it when he had a relationship with this person? DO YOU KNOW that he gave the other person aids? Do you KNOW he didn't tell this other person? Did this person even get it from him? There are way too many questions out there we don't have answers to. I don't know DC well. I have met him a few times, and frankly, think he is NOT a good role model. I think he has been rude, selfish, and very arrogant. So perhaps this is due him. BUT that isn't for us to decide. I agree with the above post....we have enough answering to the general public about our industry. I think this type of gossip/speculation/stone throwing is ill suted for the professionals that come here. I would expect better.

DMK
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:24 PM

No, they have not "proven" anything, otherwise we really wouldn't need to bother with that silly little justice system and a jury of your peers, now would we? The phrase I believe you are so desperately searching for is "probable cause". If the book learnin' is too hard, turn on the TV, there's always an episode of Law & order running...

That said, if he is convicted and found to be in full control of his decision making process... wow, talk abouta shitful person.

And I know there was talk about how HIV was treated in the past, but I'm sorry, there's no comparison between the prejudicial treatment of the past and this case. Even though HIV is not AIDS, just think about how expensive this will be for the person to treat for the rest of their life. Think about what happens if they lose their employer paid health insurance and have to get individual insurance? Even if the person goes through their entire life without one physical symptom and not one iota of prejudice applied against them, this is still an enormous burden that was inflicted on them.

saje
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:24 PM
Frankly, a charge like this would seem to me to be extremely hard to prove. Talk about the ultimate "he said-she said" ( tho without the "she", I guess)!

I'm pretty damned cynical, and not much surprises me anymore. Heaven knows there are too many women who cry rape or battery & the like when PO'd at a guy, I can certainly imagine someone getting PO'd at a former lover and claiming this kind of assault. Not at all out of the bounds of reality.

We'll just have to wait and see what the outcome of this is, and in the meantime Darren's reputation is spiraling out of control.

The whole mess is so very sad, but I think it IS worth having out in the open.

Moderator 1
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:25 PM
This topic is obviously a sensitive one and has raised concerns with members of the community.

As the arrest and charges are a matter of public record and directly involve a very public figure in the sport and potentially impact his involvement if found guilty, we're going to leave the thread open for the time being.

Please be advised, however, that a general discussion/debate on the topic of HIV/AIDS is beyond the scope of this forum and that the individual charged has not been tried or found guilty, so please show restraint in your commentary accordingly.

Thanks,
Mod 1

saje
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:31 PM
It's easy to point fingers. It's easy to judge. But tomorrow, it could be something you did that get's judged. There is no one on this board who has not done something that they regret. Something you are very glad didn't come out on COTH. Some of us learn from our mistakes, and change that which made us be stupid. Other's don't.

Personally, I think a spot of humiliation for doing stupid stuff is no bad thing. Perhaps if we did have a bit more public humiliation people might think a bit more carefully about their actions before jumping in with both feet.

JSwan
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll wait and see if he's convicted of the crime he's been charged with. But I doubt y'all would be this screechy about his private life if he was straight.

Just sayin'.

Just be accused of a crime can destroy someone's life - no matter how innocent they are. Put away the torches and pitchforks until (and if) there is a conviction. Geez.

amastrike
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:43 PM
I'll wait and see if he's convicted of the crime he's been charged with. But I doubt y'all would be this screechy about his private life if he was straight.

Just sayin'.

Given that most people here are women, I think they'd be MORE screechy about a man who is alleged to have infected his partner with HIV.

Eventer55
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:49 PM
When I clicked on, I thought it was going to be joke like the ones where you raise money for charities to get out of jail.

I actually felt sick when I realized it wasn't a joke. :(

Robby Johnson
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:01 PM
This is no laughing matter. I'm horrified that people find humor in this.

This is a man who sustained serious brain injury. His life is obviously in deep disarray, probably with a pile-up of alienated friends and family who've tried but failed to help him.

(Also, HIV isn't the death sentence it once was. The US finally lifted the inhumane, discriminatory restrictions which banned HIV+ people from visiting the US for 22 years. Let's not slide back into cooties mode, okay?)

JER, I couldn't agree more. What is so sad to me is the post-acute brain injury dynamics you reference in your message.

I will say, however, as a Board member for West Alabama AIDS Outreach, that HIV/AIDS is, indeed, a probable death sentence IF UNTREATED and that not everyone responds to treatment protocols favorably. They're very expensive, and very difficult to manage unless the PWA is fairly responsible to their status and health and has access to the system and resources. Even then, long-term effects are unknown.

Also, for clarification, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS, which is the result of a compromised immune system determined by the level of white blood cells, t-cells, and other physical manifestations associated with a weakened immune system. HIV causes AIDS. Unless I've missed something, nothing else does. So if you're HIV and you're untreated, you very likely will progress to full-blown AIDS.

The scariest thing currently is the lack of testing that occurs with youth. Since most view HIV as something "You just take a pill for," there's an increasing spike in infection amongst the teen-young adult set (who didn't live through "the crisis") and often they find out too late, when they've progressed to full-blown. 3 years ago my friend in Dallas called me after going AWOL for a few months to tell me his best friend, age 28, had died. I had just seen the guy at Thanksgiving six months earlier. He had suspected he was positive but was in denial and by the time he was gravely ill there wasn't anything that could be done and he died within 6 weeks.

I think the challenge in these cases is proving malicious intent. I'm so sad and sorry to see this unfolding.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
Ok. I checked the link that the OP posted and I see Darren's name, but there is no picture or any information about why his name is even there. Did the site remove the information about him?

Nomoreusernames
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=JSwan;4631057]. But I doubt y'all would be this screechy about his private life if he was straight.

Just sayin'.

Not at all, it's not at all about his private life to me. It's about how poorly he has treated others. Absolutely no sympathy here.

JSwan
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:14 PM
Given that most people here are women

Some of the comments are from people who don't take kindly to homosexuals.
So what if they're female posters.

It's just a disease. It can strike anyone. Men and women alike.

I'll still wait until (and if) there is a conviction and the FACTS are known.

I clicked on the link because I thought it was a joke - not because I wanted to read posts from judgmental little homophobes.

And for the record - I don't like the guy much either. But this subject isn't about his horsemanship or personality, and I don't think anyone, either the victim or DC, deserves to have HIV.

seesa
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:14 PM
Let's just get hold of the facts here people. This sounds a bit too much like the David Letterman story. I know for a fact that this person accusing Darren is an oppertunistic social climber that latched on to Darren for instant status. This comes following getting the final boot! "A WOMEN SCORNED"???? Unfortunatley we all live in a society where we are not free from accusation, once accused, the proof of innocence is on the accused! A little backwards if you ask me! Darren has overcome unbelieveable odds before, he will do it again. Those of us who truly care about him will continue to support him. I am very close to the family and rest assured HE DOES NOT HAVE AIDS! And by the way do you people have nothing better to do than gossip and make judgements with out haveing all the facts...it must be nice to sit at your computers and be judge and jury...I am very disapointed in this forum. This is not the place for peoples personal issues.

amastrike
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
Some of the comments are from people who don't take kindly to homosexuals.
So what if they're female posters.

Ah, well, I don't really know what people think of homosexuals, so I wasn't looking at it that way. If this story is true, it really sucks for everyone involved.

Blugal
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
If the story ISN'T true, it still sucks for everyone involved.

webmistress32
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think he was "jumping" and probably not using his "feet".

oops. sorry.

LexInVA
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:33 PM
I think his sexual orientation has little to do with anyone's kvetching from what I see here but what he is accused of doing is tantamount to attempted murder or aggravated assault in localities such as DC where such things happen frequently regardless of sexual orientation and it's a serious problem that the urban LGBQT communities often refuse to acknowledge or address in any effective and open manner because practicing safe sex and relationships comes down to a simple matter of personal choice and judgment. Whenever someone in their community is singled out by those outside the community or put in the spotlight for what goes on behind closed doors, it tends to paint them all in a bad light when they are fighting for every scrap of positive recognition they can get. Since Darren is a VERY prominent member (no pun intended) of at least a few such communities along the East Coast based on his migratory habits as an Equestrian and the national LGBQT community at large, any truth to these charges will bring about some fallout in the communities he has been a part of. I highly doubt he'll end up in the Washington Post though.

What any of this means for Equestrian sports, particularly Eventing, I do not know nor can I hypothesize much beyond saying that the matter probably won't even make anyone's radar beyond the localities in which Eventing is well known. All we can do is wait, see what happens, and hope for the best outcome for anyone involved.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:39 PM
The scariest thing currently is the lack of testing that occurs with youth. Since most view HIV as something "You just take a pill for," there's an increasing spike in infection amongst the teen-young adult set (who didn't live through "the crisis") and often they find out too late, when they've progressed to full-blown. 3 years ago my friend in Dallas called me after going AWOL for a few months to tell me his best friend, age 28, had died. I had just seen the guy at Thanksgiving six months earlier. He had suspected he was positive but was in denial and by the time he was gravely ill there wasn't anything that could be done and he died within 6 weeks.

I think the challenge in these cases is proving malicious intent. I'm so sad and sorry to see this unfolding.

perhaps the one...and probably only good thing...that can come of all this is an increased awareness. I had a family friend die of AIDs many years ago...a very horrible way to die and a terrible thing to watch someone go through. I did live through the crisis (also lived through the cold war...damn I'm getting old).

I'm sorry to hear that there are young people who don't think this is a threat or something that can affect them. That is sad and scary.

I hope people read your post and learn...

Robby Johnson
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:58 PM
LexnVA,

You're right. Sex is a personal choice, and a personal responsibility. Assuming a partner is positive then adjusting behavior and implementing safer practices is about the only thing you can do if you choose to play the sex game. However, when educational programs and public attitudes toward this virus and disease are a.) not visible or b.) not accessible it is difficult to hold someone who becomes infected accountable or to the highest standards of empirical expectations. It doesn't change the fact that infection is a consequence of their actions, it just solidifies the need to keep HIV/AIDS facts within the public dialogue.

In Alabama we currently have $21MM of H1N1 Vaccine to give away. I got stuck this morning. Cost me nothing. Interestingly enough, our governor today added a $7.1MM line item to the budget for AIDS services across the state. Last year the number began at $1.8MM then was reduced, so our state had around $700K to distribute across 7 agencies. Our cut for this year, prior to today's budget upgrade, was expected to be $55K and, as usual, it's not certain whether we'll get it or not: there are quite a few contingencies with the $7.1MM, some of which involves the use of stimulus money.

Still, in providing services and resources for PWA's who have zero access or means for acquiring them on their own (about 200 clients we serve), $55K doesn't go a long way over 12 months.

I have a hard time justifying the ratio of spending on H1N1:HIV/AIDS services. People don't take it seriously. And it's serious.

JSwan
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
LexnVA,

Still, in providing services and resources for PWA's who have zero access or means for acquiring them on their own (about 200 clients we serve), $55K doesn't go a long way over 12 months.

Good God. My bankrupt state is spending almost that much to weedwhack two parks.

Ok - now I am going to be sick. I've always looked forward to reading your posts, Robby, and though I'm glad to see you post again, I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

riderboy
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:48 PM
A question for all the "pull this thread, we shouldn't be talking about it!" advocates:

Would you say the same thing if we were talking about Michael Vick?

Why?

I'll tell you why, It's a personal tragedy and has no place on this forum. I'm with JSwan, some of you make me sick. As for Michael Vick, I fail to see your point or any connection whatsoever to this.

eloquence09
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:59 PM
Ughh I think it is really inappropriate that this was posted here. This makes me really sad.

asterix
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:06 PM
If DC is convicted of this or any other serious crime, then it is something our community will surely want to know about and discuss. Right now it is just a very sad story that NONE of us know the facts about; whether the allegations are true or not it's certainly a mess. I'm not going to throw any kind of rocks at someone accused of a crime simply on the basis of an arrest. That is premature, and wrong.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:30 PM

Just sayin'.

Excuse me? This has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. If he had slept with a woman and purposefully infected her it would be exactly the same thing.

Kaleigh007
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
Jswan =:rolleyes: a predictable knee jerk reaction from Jswan on her 4,361st post.:sleepy:

Snapdragon
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
Excuse me? This has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. If he had slept with a woman and purposefully infected her it would be exactly the same thing.

I agree that this has nothing to do with homophobia (I think it's terrible that there is even a word for that), but more that Darren has long been a lightning rod in this sport and some people have strong feelings about him.

I hope that the poster who said this is a payback for a breakup is correct. Darren has been through a lot, and I have compassion for him because of that. I do think we can't underestimate how his TBI has affected him--and I don't know if that has anything to with this situation.

As to whether or not this should be discussed here, I think that's ok. It's out there, he's a public figure in our sport, this is the biggest outlet for public discussion about our sport, and people in the sport are interested--even if it's only because of its trainwreck qualities.

Timex
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
Touchy, touchy subject. On one hand, he has been the face of the sport, both here and abroad. He has been a trainer, coach and competitor, and a lightning rod. As members of the eventing community, we have the right to be alerted to public info that may affect how we view and support a person that represents us.

On the other hand, we also have a responsibility to limit this conversation to the facts and not speculate on the details. Because none of us are privy to his private life, or the ongoing investigation.

That being said, while I'm no DC fan, I think its sad for everyone involved, and as someone said before, its 'pitiful'. Truly a situation and a person to be pitied, regardless of the outcome.

eyeofthetiger
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:40 PM
Agenda?
I have heard about the forum from many people and was shocked as everyone on when i heard the news. i for one was on the young riders team when he was a coach and had the upmost respect for him as a person not only a coach and rider. I feel that anyone who puts themself out there as a role model for young adults should lie in the bed he has made.
So agenda I think not.

You were NEVER EVER on the YR Team. Maybe in your dreams but not in real life. All the Canadian's on this board know who you are [edit], maybe you can try to fool a few people into believing your wild stories, but that is what they are stories.

You have come on this board and EMG to cause trouble.

How barns have you been kicked out of for causing trouble? Well I know of at least 2 that you have been told not to come back, the barn I am at and the one you rode at previous. People do see through you eventually.

[edit]

Meredith Clark
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm so shocked and sadden by this.

I hope that if nothing else comes from this, that people will get tested and be conscience of their sexual encounters and the repercussions that may come of them.

asterix
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:23 PM
can we PLEASE not have this kind of juvenile "i know who you are" crap on this board?
this is a serious situation, no matter the facts, and most of us would like this board to remain a place of mature and respectful discussion.

Leave the barn tit-for-tat for some other venue, please.

LexInVA
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:34 PM
Canadians...*shakes head*

maxxtrot
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:41 PM
all i can say is WOW! how sad for everyone involved

riderboy
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:45 PM
This topic is obviously a sensitive one and has raised concerns with members of the community.

As the arrest and charges are a matter of public record and directly involve a very public figure in the sport and potentially impact his involvement if found guilty, we're going to leave the thread open for the time being.

Please be advised, however, that a general discussion/debate on the topic of HIV/AIDS is beyond the scope of this forum and that the individual charged has not been tried or found guilty, so please show restraint in your commentary accordingly.

Thanks,
Mod 1

I must respectfully disagree. This thread is a train wreck of innuendo, suspicion and unproven allegation. Does this open the "public record" on the personal lives of well known people in this sport? Scandalous divorces, who cheated with who, drunken driving, bankruptcies all of which are "public record" I think these are all appropriate for the Jerry Springer show but for crying out loud not on a thread dedicated to the sport of eventing. This sport is my passion and I come here for horse related discussion. This may qualify in your opinion and I respect that, but in view it is only by the very thinnest thread tangentially connected.

Ajierene
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:49 PM
Canadians...*shakes head*

It's all the snow north of the border. It gets to their brains. You cannot really blame them, poor Canadians.

Nomoreusernames
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:54 PM
Rideboy: "Character: What one does when no one is looking."

"nuff said....

Chall
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:02 PM
Regarding head injuries and poor judgment (doctors feel free to jump in), isn't there a part of the brain, near the front, that when injured results in the inability to monitor your words and some of your actions? Its the inhibitor part that keeps us from saying "oh my god you are fat". Fascinating article - the patient made comments on her doctors and nurses and was very rude. And the dr took it all in stride and said "this is normal when that part of the brain is injured". My point is there may be a correlation between brain injuries and poor choices/judgments. And there is the possibility that this is a factor here.

JER
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:06 PM
I will say, however, as a Board member for West Alabama AIDS Outreach, that HIV/AIDS is, indeed, a probable death sentence IF UNTREATED and that not everyone responds to treatment protocols favorably.

Yes.

But this is exactly why we need to talk about it in terms of what we know in 2010 and not as if it's 1982. Education and compassion should be well outpacing denial, ignorance and shame at this point in time.

Platinum Equestrian
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:06 PM
You know I agree that this is sad, most especially for the poor individual who brought the charges. But as far as the topic not being appropriate for this venue, well, that I'm not so sure of.

Very well said. It is very sad. When will people realize they have to be responsible for their actions?

riderboy
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:08 PM
Rideboy: "Character: What one does when no one is looking."

"nuff said.... Referring to??

Nomoreusernames
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:16 PM
When will people realize they have to be responsible for their actions?

As a person who has much experience in this area, I see many enablers who excuse and defend. This only increases the occurrences of these behaviors. Very sad....

2horseowner
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:31 PM
Does anyone know if he has made bond? This is a fairly low bond, being this is a serious felony charge. It said cash bond, would anyone bond him out. Just curious, as this is a really scary charge.

quietann
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
Robby J, thanks for the good words on the current status of HIV/AIDS and persons who have it in the US. (I also work in the field, as a statistician, though mostly with data from overseas clinical trials. It's been my career, more or less, starting back in 1983 when a bisexual friend from college, who earned his spending money hustling "straight" businessmen in downtown Chicago, called me up and asked if I'd heard of this "gay cancer." He was dead by 1991.)

It's not a simple matter, and it appears that DC has violated Florida law, TBI or no. Or at least that's what he's accused of. My personal opinion of him has never been good, but I don't wish him ill -- he has enough of that already.

JumpingBug
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:04 AM
NOT REALLY a DARREN fan but a question for those all offended

IT is the partners word over his? How the hell do we know what was said or not said before sex? Seriously?

Second what kind of idiot has UNPROTECTED sex with anyone on a one off or whatever these days???

Worse I have a friend in SF who is positive and he tells someone and they say NO we like it natural? SOME do not care and want to live in the moment.

THIS whole thing reeks a bit of someone with a agenda and I have to say WTF people as none of us know what was said or not said. This "could be" a malicious act of a lover or one night stand rebuffed.

I think Darren is a cheeky prick personally but I also know human nature and you should not be dipping a nude wick with anyone these days...

sunhawk
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
It's all the snow north of the border. It gets to their brains. You cannot really blame them, poor Canadians.

Don't be picking on us Canadians, or we'll send you a blizzard.

LexInVA
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:12 AM
You already gave us Celine Dion and Bryan Adams. What more can you possibly do to undermine our democratic society?!

JER
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
Don't be picking on us Canadians, or we'll send you a blizzard.

Ha! Not this winter -- it was about 50F today in Vancouver.

Seriously, they're going to be TRUCKING IN snow for the Olympic events at Cypress Mountain. (Whistler, however, has tons of snow.)

JER
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:20 AM
You already gave us Celine Dion and Bryan Adams. What more can you possibly do to undermine our democratic society?!

Lex, Celine Dion is Swiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKROlkXk2_8). The Eurovision does not lie.

Petalstorm
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:26 AM
How would a person boycott a thread whilst letting the rest of the community know that they were boycotting?

This post is my boycott.

I don't know DC but I know this thread feels very wrong.

LexInVA
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:26 AM
She's not Swiss. She was birthed in Quebec and grew up speaking French. She represented Switzerland in that competition because the composer of the song she sang was half-Swiss.

Meredith Clark
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:27 AM
She's not Swiss. She was birthed in Quebec and grew up speaking French. She represented Switzerland in that competition because the composer of the song she sang was half-Swiss.

I hope you just Wikipedia-ed that, cause knowing that off the top of your head is something to be concerned about...

JER
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:47 AM

A pack of lies propagated by the Swiss. "Mais non, elle est... elle est... canadienne!"

The Canadians were too slow to react and now they're stuck with her. But she's a good source of revenue for Canadian songwriters so maybe it's not such a bad thing, especially with the Can-con laws.

LexInVA
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:51 AM
I hope you just Wikipedia-ed that, cause knowing that off the top of your head is something to be concerned about...

I had a Celine Dion phase in the mid-90's. :( Not my proudest moment.

TB or not TB?
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:08 AM
I had a Celine Dion phase in the mid-90's. :( Not my proudest moment.

I think I speak for most of the ladies on this board when I say that any attraction we had for you (solely from being a rare "male" of the species) has shriveled up. :eek:

LexInVA
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:13 AM
I was 14 at the time and was watching a lot of MTV/VH1 so cut me some slack. Geeze. I never bought tickets or anything.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:21 AM
JSwan,
I don't care that it was a gay man who allegedly transmitted HIV to another partner. Hell, I wouldn't care if it was a woman who transmitted HPV to a male partner. It's effing wrong to be aware of your status and not tell a partner. No matter what kind of disease you might have. That's my issue. And no, this isn't entirely appropriate to discuss. But I find it HIGHLY insulting to suggest that the main reason this thread has lasted is because Darren is gay.

AppJumpr08
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:22 AM
Aww that's harsh!!! Not *everyone* feels that way Lex!!! It's like a guy who is comfortable enough to wear a pink (salmon?) shirt. If you admit it, it just makes you more of a man :)

I think I speak for most of the ladies on this board when I say that any attraction we had for you (solely from being a rare "male" of the species) has shriveled up. :eek:

RAyers
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:09 AM
Regardless of how I feel towards the man or any past opinions i expressed concerning his horsemanship, I feel a great pang of sorrow towards the man. He has reached a point of his life that I truly pity him.

I still feel he is/was a poor choice to represent the sport. But he is a human who has come upon a downhill slide in his life. I will always know and think of him from the times i rode against him in the ring and hope he will see better days.

Reed

Carol Ames
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:45 AM
What/ who are you looking at?:confused:

BaroquePony
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:55 AM
What/ who are you looking at? :confused:

The Marion County (Ocala, FA) Mug Shots pages. Darren Chiacchia has been arrested for charges that he knowingly had HIV and did not reveal such to a partner.

EventFan
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:32 AM
The Marion County (Ocala, FA) Mug Shots pages. Darren Chiacchia has been arrested for charges that he knowingly had HIV and did not reveal such to a partner.

Still I have to wonder: how much evidence is needed to get a warrant sworn out for his arrest? Could it be that the who thing is a sham based upon the vendetta of a former lover? These charges may not even be true.

If they are true it is very sad. Even if they are false it is very sad as now he has been become the "face" of pity instead of the "face" of eventing. sad.

avezan
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:45 AM
This is very sad. Certainly it is terrible for someone who is knowingly HIV positive to have sex with someone without informing them. This is what DC is accused of. BUT....let's please continue to presume innocent until proven guilty! We are all hanging him for this crime already. I don't know Darren and I'm not a fan, but let's think about this. For him to be arrested, the authorities would need probable cause, right? This would probably mean checking to see if both parties are HIV positive. But then what? The accuser says that he/she was not informed. How the he*#&! does one prove that? One way or the other? This is what we have trials for. Who knows what will come out in the trial. I, for one, am hoping this is a jilted lover situation as one poster suggested. Let's not try DC on this thread. Leave that for the courts.

BaroquePony
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
I am not sure, but I don't think someone has to actually have evidence to press charges and then, I don't know how the police handle it from there. I don't know how 'Probable Cause' is applicable in a situation like this.

Moderator 1
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
Between the fighting re: the ID of the person who started this thread (some of which has been removed), the non-horse-related content and the already delicate topic, we're going to close the thread.

Yes, this event involves public charges against a very high-profile member of the sport, which is why the thread was initially permitted, but at this time, the only facts in evidence are that the arrest occured. Everything else is speculation--if/when in the future a decision is reached by the court system, the topic--as it relates to his involvement in the industry--can be revisited.

Thanks,
Mod 1