PDA

View Full Version : Eventing Derby at Rocking Horse

Lori T
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:27 AM
Looks like fun! Is anyone going? I am going to try and take Tucker!

Plumb Loco
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
This does sound like fun. Here's the Derby info from the website:

Rocking Horse Derby & Ride-a-Test, February 6, 2010

Rocking Horse Derby
Divisions offered:

Elementary: 8-11 jumps @ 300 mpm (max. 2’)

Beginner Novice: 10-13 jumps @ 350 mpm

Novice: 12-15 jumps @ 400 mpm

Training: 14-17 jumps @ 450 mpm

Preliminary: 16-20 jumps @ 520 mpm

Intermediate: 19-24 jumps @ 550 mpm

Course:

Designed by Morgan Rowsell, a combination of cross-country and stadium jumps appropriate to the level.

Scoring:

Each rider gets two rounds on the course. Scores are based on time. The rider closest to the optimum time (over or under) gets the most points for the round. Any refusals or rails amount to time being added to your round. The points for each round are added together to determine the placings. Verbal assistance on course is allowed and encouraged!

Prizes:

$20 from each entry fee goes into the “pot” for each division. The winner will get the combined total for their division. The more people entered in the division, the higher the prize money.

Entry Fee: $85

Attire: Casual, but must have a Cross-country vest, helmet and boots (tall or paddock w/half chaps).

Attitude: Also casual, be ready to relax and just have fun, like cross-country should be!

Times: Will be posted on our website the Thursday before the derby. You may enter both the derby and ride-a-test. Entry forms are attached

scubed
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thinking about taking the youngster. There is also Dressage ride-a-tests with Gretchen Butts, so it could be a very useful outing.

WalkerEvntr
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
We are planning on taking 2, maybe 3. Definitely looking forward to it! :D

flabbergasted
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
These derbies are truly the beginning of the end of eventing. Short format has nothing on this...

WalkerEvntr
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
flabbergasted - I can't agree with you on that. I am a huge supporter of the long format. This is just a good opportunity for exposure and a fun, laid back competition.

scubed
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:27 AM
I'm with WE on this one. This is not the goal. This is a schooling opportunity for young horses or prior to moving up etc. Would I take my confirmed training or prelim eventer, probably not, but it is a great chance for my youngster to get out without the cost of an event

ponygirl
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
These derbies started on private farms in Ocala and were rotated from farm to farm. It was met with a lot of success. I'm glad to see Alice offer the Derbies at Rocking Horse. Great way to school young horses.

flabbergasted
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:36 PM
Despite your intention to use this as training, a group of the uninitiated who believe that this is eventing and take it seriously will develop. As the group grows larger, and begins to see these as a competitive goal, more organizers will offer them and, eventually, the USEA will feel pressure to recognize them. Ultimately, the organizers will prefer to do these because they are much easier to handle than traditional events are. You will see more cross over from the hunter jumper crowds as this occurs.

Mark my words, support the derbies now and live with them later...I'll give it a few years at best.

nature
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
Despite your intention to use this as training, a group of the uninitiated who believe that this is eventing and take it seriously will develop. As the group grows larger, and begins to see these as a competitive goal, more organizers will offer them and, eventually, the USEA will feel pressure to recognize them. Ultimately, the organizers will prefer to do these because they are much easier to handle than traditional events are. You will see more cross over from the hunter jumper crowds as this occurs.

Mark my words, support the derbies now and live with them later...I'll give it a few years at best.

This are a great opportunity to get people involved. What is wrong with a great way to get out and enjoy your horse? Recognized eventing has gotten too costly for a lot of us that used to event in the old days. (70's through the 90"s).

Even if the USEA does recognize them, most of the people gong to them now wil not go to a recognized one for the same reason why we don't go to recognized events. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would never negate any equestrian sport where people are out and enjoying the horses they love no matter what saddle is on their back. Why do you think these new competitive trail rides are taking off with a bang. They are just a good way to get out and have fun.

nextyear
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:12 PM
This type of Derby's have been around for years and as far as my experience it has always been a good training experience why would this be the demise of eventing??? I can't see that anymore than the schooling 2-phase being held in the indoors in the middle of a NE winter?
Any time we get a schooling experience in a "competition" type atmosphere its a plus not a negative.
THANKS Alice for providing the wonderful USEA events and all the schooling shows and Derby's you work so hard to put together!! I for one will continue to support all venues such as this to keep it alive.

flabbergasted
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:49 PM
I would never negate any equestrian sport where people are out and enjoying the horses they love no matter what saddle is on their back. Why do you think these new competitive trail rides are taking off with a bang. They are just a good way to get out and have fun.

I am perfectly happy to see folks enjoy their horses - including at the derbies - and at whatever cost they can afford, to your point regarding the fees. But it isn't "eventing" and shouldn't be billed as such. It gives folks who do not know what eventing is the wrong impression and risks pushing the sport in the wrong direction. Find another name for it.

Plumb Loco
Jan. 22, 2010, 11:26 AM
flabbergasted,

"Eventing" Derby is the OP's wording.

Rocking Horse Stables is billing the event as a
"Cross Country Derby".

pwynnnorman
Jan. 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for posting this. I think it's an excellent idea and I hope to bring two or three--maybe even Kevvie.

And I think it's a great addition to the sport in the same way that combined tests have always been useful additions.

Lori T
Jan. 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
flabbergasted,

"Eventing" Derby is the OP's wording.

Rocking Horse Stables is billing the event as a
"Cross Country Derby".

Oops, sorry for the mix up!
I hope to be at one of the dates with Tucker, probably the last one in February. It will be a good outing for him!