PDA

View Full Version : bits for strong warmbloods

Pages : 1 [2]

ESG
Nov. 3, 2003, 02:39 PM
Hereby founding the "Don't Fuh with the Old Broads Clique"!

Anyone else?

SCHunter
Nov. 3, 2003, 02:48 PM
I am closing this thread b/c it has gone from a simple question on what bits people felt worked best for their strong warmbloods. now, though, it is criticizing the way people type and their qoutes on their signatures.. i mean seriously people. whats the point of this website if when i ask a question, i get only a few answers and the rest arguements?!

"WHats the point in wearing your favorite space ship underwear if no body gets to see them?" - calvin and hobbes

SCHunter
Nov. 3, 2003, 02:51 PM
ok how do you close the thread? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"WHats the point in wearing your favorite space ship underwear if no body gets to see them?" - calvin and hobbes

findeight
Nov. 3, 2003, 02:53 PM
Gee, is it too late to weigh in on the original topic???

I hope not..because basics are basics and they are the foundation for any successful performance and cannot be practiced too much.

HOWEVER....at least from my experience...some horses like less fussing from more of a bit then constant pressure on something milder.

There is also a size thing involved here. Despite the best intentions, 1400 pounds of 17 hand animal ridden by a 130 lb rider may just require some "power brakes". Likewise the upper level Jumper who has to power over 5' fences and still get the inside turns while flooring it to the timers probably ain't gonna stop before the state line in a rubber snaffle.

My answer is to do all you can in the lightest thing you have at home...especially in basic flatwork and low gymnastics.
The worst thing you can do is overbit at home...you have to save that for those occaisions when the horse gets excited or you have to ask for more agility-bit up at home and you are screwed when you need to add more.

So I guess my final answer is stay light at home but go ahead and add more when you need it.

That's my final answer and I'm sticking to it.......but what do I know???

And in answer to the original post...I'd start with a gag to add pressure on the poll. I like the Mikmar..actually a mild bit that redistributes pressure on the nose and under the jaw with a generous curb ratio.
In other words-distribute the pressure on new points instead of increasing on the old ones. Long as you support your hands with body, leg and voice..you are on the right track.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

SCHunter
Nov. 3, 2003, 03:38 PM
thank you findeight for providing me info. thats relivant to the topic. i really do appreciate it! ill try that!