PDA

View Full Version : Draft horse fell through ice

SLW
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:25 AM
This was on our evening news. This clip doesn't show the horse as it scrambled out (that was on the actual news cast) but kudos to the rescue folk. Fence off those ponds!

http://www.kmbc.com/video/22276079/index.html

Zu Zu
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
Glad the rescue team got the big horse out ! What a nightmare that would be !!! Jingles for the horse's recovery.

nightsong
Jan. 21, 2010, 07:40 AM
Fence off those ponds!

I think giving your horses water is a lot better idea.

Ritazza
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:18 AM
I think giving your horses water is a lot better idea.

That's what water troughs are for. A lot harder to fall through, if you're a draft horse. Besides, if the pond was frozen how could they get water anyway?

SLW
Jan. 21, 2010, 08:50 AM
Sometimes it is just the curiousity of the horse that makes it end up out on a pond covered in ice. It happened last year to a girlfriend. Her horses have troughs, the pasture has a pond but it wasn't fenced off. One of her youngish geldings went out on it, fell through and had to be pulled out.

And for all the stories we read about horses/cattle fallling through iced over ponds there are thousands of head of livestock who have access to iced over ponds in the winter that don't walk on it. Murphys law I guess- if it's a horse you like, fence off the pond. :)