PDA

View Full Version : Canine arthritis

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:23 AM
My two Aussie's will be 10 in a couple of months. They have been doing great until the cold and damp weather started. Now they both get stiff and limp when they've been laying down, one more than the other. I had them on joint supplements from TSC for about a month and a half or two but it didn't seem to be helping. Vet put them on Rimadyl. I have an appointment for them on Saturday for a blood test as I understand some dogs react to this with kidney issues. Has anyone had any experience with Rimadyl? What questions should I ask? They are both doing better on it. Thanks!

KrazyTBMare
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
No advice but let me know what you find out. My parents dog has artritis in the back and with the cold weather it really kicked in. They took her to the vet and they put her on the Rimadyl as well but it really doesnt help. Prior to that my step dad was giving her the dog dosage of asprin and it helped a lot. So they are going to buy doggie asprin instead.

Brookes
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:36 AM
Talk to your vet about Duramax (sp) it is supposed to be much easier on the organs and works quite well. Not cheap but worth it to keep your dogs comfy.

We put our old Golden on it (years ago) within 1 week he was able to trot up to the second floor of the house, he had been sleeping at the bottom of the stairs prior to that. Quite a remarkable change in him.

CB/TB
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
I second the Deramaxx. Our rescue GSP has been on it since the late fall and the difference is amazing. She's been on Horsetech's Canine joint supplement for about a year and the addition of the Deramaxx - and Tramadol has been great for the winter. We've had LOLA for almost a years now and she has some real movement problems. We will get X rays at some point to pinpoint the problems. She's old. Have no idea how old since she has missing and broken teeth. She's one tough dog, though and as weird as she moves, she still won't give up chasing the frisbee( or the cat!). Try the Deramaxx. Lola gets 1/2 1 x/day. Good luck. It's hard to see them age and they don't seem to realize it.

LauraKY
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
Our collie has severe arthritis. She cannot take Rimadyl because it affects her liver function. She is on Animeds MSM, double dose for dogs (the equine powder) and Metacam for an NSAID which is working very well and so far, has caused no other problems.

jetsmom
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:18 PM
There are many NSAIDS, like Rimadyl, Derramax, Previcox, and they all can have side effects. Don't mix NSAIDS and aspirin.

You might also look into Adequan for dog's arthritis. Many people have good results in their dogs. It can take a month to work, but can be used in conjunction with NSAIDS.

Adding a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement to the dog's food daily will help. (Do not give a dog with Diabetes Glucosamine, so if you suspect Diabetes or have a dog w/Diabetes, disregard the advice to give it). You can but a combo pill for people at the drug store or grocery store.

There are also other pain relievers like Tramadol (a non opiate pain reliever) that can be given in conjunction w/NSAIDS.

Claddagh
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
Our late Aussie developed arthritis at around age 13. I first tried Cetyl M on the recommendation of a friend whose GSD was helped tremendously by it. I really saw no difference, however. Also tried chrondroitin and glucosomine but again no noticible improvement. So I finally went with the Rimadyl and it was amazing. My dog was comfortable and basically acted pain free. So despite all of the negative opinions about Rimadyl, in our case it was the only thing that really *touched* the arthritis pain. And luckily, my dog never had any ill effects from it. My decision to use it was based on the fact that my dog was old and nothing else had worked for her. If she had been a young dog, I would have been more worried about possible negative side effects.

fivehorses
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:05 PM
So many choices.
With my old lab, I had her on cosequin DS for a few years, and then it didn't seem to work very well, so kept her on that for therapuetic reasons, but the vet also prescribed Zubrin, which is an NSAID.
She was on that for quite a few years. I loved the fact she could climb stairs and do just about everything while on it.
Good luck with whatever your choice.
for what its worth, my young lab, who had TPLO surgery for a torn cruciate was also put on Zubrin for the pain after surgery.

She has been on cosequin since she had the surgery at 1, for preventative maintenance, although we are now looking at another TPLO surgery for her other knee.

Watermark Farm
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
I just took my three elderly dogs (ages 14, 13, 12), two of them limping and having trouble getting up, to the vet to discuss all my options. He sent me home with Metacam to try, and within 24 hours two dogs were feeling so much better; the third dog (who is 14 and the soundest) showed no improvement.

I had tried Previcox with all three dogs but it did not seem to help.

I've used Rimadyl with my late senior dog, and it helped him tremendously during his last two years, but he had to have regular bloodwork.

I'm supporting all three dogs with oral joint supplements and flax seed oil. I'm also considering starting them on monthly Adequan injections.

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 19, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys! I'm concerned as the dogs a just short of 10 and very active other than stiffness and soreness after laying down for a while. Seems kind of young to be put on something with such potential side effects. That and they were fine until the weather got cold. Keep any and all suggestions coming. My appointment for the blood work is Saturday.

bird4416
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
You might want to ask about Adequan. I use it on my arthritic cat and it has worked wonders. My small animal vet knows about my horses and told me I could use the horse version, just a much much smaller dosage. Its a sub cutaneous shot for cats and dogs so its relatively easy to give and really pretty economical if you use the horse version dosed down for a dog. My cat gets 0.1cc of the horse version so she shares a bottle with one of my horses. 0.1cc out of a 5cc bottle isn't much. I have a friend who gives her Am-Staff 1 cc of her horses Adequan and it has helped with her hip displasia.

DinkDunk
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:46 PM
More people should try adequan for their canine buddies. I have seen it work wonders in a couple of cases - one of which was my doberman, who was only mildly arthritic. The other was a dalmation who was severely arthritic. Both were improved significantly.

The shots are easy to administer yourself. Ask your vet to show you how.

Ben and Me
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hills makes a joint food, J/D, which may also help. It has very high levels of fish oils (EPA) which are supposed to be helpful.

Deramaxx is a Cox2 inhibitor, so it works a little differently from most of the other NSAIDs.

Some side effects to watch for are vomiting and diarrhea. Many vets are now recommending checking kidney/liver values every 6 months while on long-term NSAIDs.

Also, make sure you research your glucosamine/chondroitin supplement - not all are created equally (ie not all have the amount of glucosamine that they are supposed to!). There was an article in The Horse about this a few months ago. In dogs, they have been clinically proven to be helpful (unlike in horses, at least last I heard!)

Adequan is a great product - do a search, there have been lots of threads about it recently. It is labeled for IM administration, and the dog formula is different from the equine formula (it has a preservative in it since the bottle contains multiple doses). I found an online coupon for Adequan a few weeks ago, so that might be worth checking out.

Jaegermonster
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
I am starting to feel like a broken record, but check out www.glcdirect.com

click on the dog one, then click order now and if you scroll down you can order a free 2 week sample. The sample comes in a capsule but if you decide to order you can get it in a powder.

I have a 13 year old aussie who was really starting to show his age about 18 months ago. He was very stiff, didn't move unless he had to, and I was really starting to think I might have to make a decision soon. He had been on Rimadyl, which Ireally didn't want to do daily long term, and we had done adequan etc with good results. But it seemed as though we were "outgrowing" it.

I tried the glc free sample and started him 1/2 the recommended dose. Within about 8 days he was like a new dog. He is hopping, skipping, wants to play with his ball, getting up on the couch by himself, he's like a puppy again. (well almost). a friend of mine that had not seen him in a long time could not believe the change in him. He said it turned back the clock 5 years.
Now that I am ordering the supplement, I actually order him the horse one because it has more of the "stuff" in it and is a little more cost effective per dose.

A few months ago I started him on a Diamond Pet food, called Diamond 60+ that has added glucosamine and chrondroitin, and saw more improvement still.

I liked that stuff so much that I have 2 horses on it and got the human one for myself, and it made a huge difference for me too.

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:04 PM
Now that I am ordering the supplement, I actually order him the horse one because it has more of the "stuff" in it and is a little more cost effective per dose.
I really like that idea as I could put my older mare on it as well. What kind of dose do you use for the dog? Thanks!

wendy
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:57 PM
this is the advice I have been given for arthritic dogs: 1) get them onto a no-grain, low-carbohydrate at least 30% protein diet (grains promote inflammation, protein promotes muscle development, muscles support the joints) and keep them on the skinny side, every ounce of body fat stresses those joints; 2) supplement heavily with omega-3 fatty acids from fish (not flax- some dogs have a lot of trouble digesting flax);4) and add a cocktail of joint supplements. 5) if after a month on this you see no improvement, try Adequan injections. 6) Use NSAID painkillers only if absolutely necessary because NSAIDs, while relieving pain, also inhibit cartilage repair and will in the long run make the arthritis worse (very old dog, who cares, quality of life more important). 7) exercise moderately on soft surfaces. Short, frequent bouts of exercise better than one long exercise period. Non-weight-bearing exercise like swimming or underwater treadmill is preferred over something like jogging.

These are daily high loading doses for dogs based on dog's healthy body weight in pounds, after the one-month load you can cut down, cut in half or even lower (unless the symptoms come back); it's best to feed the dose split into two or three feedings per day instead of all at one time:
Glucosamine sulfate - 25 mg/pound
Chondroitins- 20 mg/pound
MSM- 45 mg/pound
Hyaluronic acid- 0.1 mg/pound
Fish body oils or other omega-3/DHE fatty acid sources: 50 mg/pound, more is even better- as much as the dog can tolerate without having diarrhea is better

MontanaDun
Jan. 20, 2010, 04:13 PM
And you might just ask your vet to run a Lyme panel, especially if you are on the east coast.

LoriO
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:56 AM
just to add one more option into the mix, I have had great results with my Aussie on Horsetech's Hylasport for Canine's. Basically the same thing as the horse version but formualted for dogs.

My aussie had lots of aches and issues due to being run over by a pickup truck before we adopted him. I was using Rimadyl at first but was concerned about the long term effects of it. I was talking to Rod, the president of Horsetech at Equine Affaire and told him about Harley and his issues. He sent me a free sample to try and it was amazing the difference it made. Got Harley completely off the Rimadyl except for days when he overdoes it.

Give Horsetech a call and ask them to send you a sample to try.

LoriO
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:26 AM
And you might just ask your vet to run a Lyme panel, especially if you are on the east coast.

Excellent suggestion

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
Making notes about the treatments and the Lyme to take with me to the vet on Saturday. Ordered the sample size of glc. Thanks for all the help!

sickofcollege
Jan. 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
More people should try adequan for their canine buddies. I have seen it work wonders in a couple of cases - one of which was my doberman, who was only mildly arthritic. The other was a dalmation who was severely arthritic. Both were improved significantly.

The shots are easy to administer yourself. Ask your vet to show you how.

THIS^^^^

I was sooo close to putting my dog to sleep because her arthritis was downright terrible. Rimadyl, Previcoxx, etc. helped but not nearly enough. After the first Adequan shot I saw an immediate difference. Without it my girl's quality of life would be non-existent. Try it, you won't be sorry!

twhs
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Our older labs who had arthritis in hips did not do well on Rimadyl or Cosequin but did exceptionally well on Duralactin which is available from KV Vet. If I ran out and they went a day or two without Duralactin, you could tell a difference right away. Back on, they were like puppies. I don't remember the dosage we used. Maybe 3 tablets (1 per 25 lbs of weight) but I don't recall if it was once a day or two. So maybe 1 1/2 tablets per meal. Whatever it was, the directions are on the bottle and Duralactin works.
Hope this helps.

fooler
Jan. 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
I use the ConquerEQ gel (tube) to ease my old mare when the trimmer comes. So when the vet noted changes in my 11+ English Springer Spaniel's stifles I tried the Conquer for dogs - in pill form.
After 2 pills she was running and jumping like her old self. Now giving to her every other day and she is very happy and comfortable.
Plus you can open the pill and spread the 'powder' over the food. She has no problem eating everything.