PDA

View Full Version : Chiacchia sale?

Mara
Jan. 19, 2010, 08:38 AM
The banner on the main forum index page piqued my curiosity.
"Second Annual" sporthorse sale? Anyone from here drop in to look at the Team Chiacchia offerings last year, or planning to this year?
Or is this just Darren doing things differently by calling it an "annual sale" and buying ad space for it? I mean, I know other eventing outfits do some buying and selling but without all the hype.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
"All horses are pre-vetted" ?? By whom? Don't I want my OWN vet to have a look? Huh. Seems like a new way of doing things. Boy o boy. As for the chances of my 'dropping in' to have a look at his sale horses? Not on your life.:winkgrin: ahahhaaha

onelanerode
Jan. 19, 2010, 03:10 PM
"All horses are pre-vetted" ??

I thought the same thing! :eek:

inquisitive
Jan. 19, 2010, 03:38 PM
Why does he have so many h/j/eq horses? I'm not familiar with his program but thought he was just an eventer...

AppJumpr08
Jan. 19, 2010, 03:46 PM
Why does he have so many h/j/eq horses? I'm not familiar with his program but thought he was just an eventer...

I'm sure Darren doesn't think he's "just" anything! :lol::lol::lol:
And I'm going to bite my tongue and not say anything else... :D

LexInVA
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:05 PM

They aren't his horses. He's just being a social butterfly and middle-man, lending his name to make some extra cheese and network with others.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
This looks like a combined sale with the involvement of some hunter/jumper people. (Ed Lookingbill, Sergio Campos...)

Anyway...by looking at the site, it appears that you have an opportunity to vet as well as try any horse you want during the auction (looks like it opens and lasts for a while with them accepting bids until the closing).

The web site says that all the horses will be pre-vetted by Brendan Furlong & Associates and a rep. from them will be available to be spoken too.

Looks a bit similar to what Craig does in Aiken but with a few differences. There will probably be some nice prospects there. A few of the horses that I saw listed looked nice.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:16 PM

Probably because they cost more.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:04 PM
As PP said, you can probably have your own vetting, but this way you can be reasonably assured that you are not spending money to find an obvious bone chip, etc. You talk to Furlong's team, tell them what you want to do with the horse, they tell you what they found and probably will give you a set of rads for your vet.

Laddy Boy
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:15 PM
I noticed his rig was for sale also and it looks like there are rental properties??? Does this mean he is changing careers?

goobs
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:52 PM
I just heard he got arrested today! I also heard that the accuser filed false allegations against him. Gee - poor Darren!

http://www.mugshotsocala.com/?p=14971&disp=mugcard

WW_Queen
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:53 PM
It was my understanding that that pre-vetted simply meant the horse had a recent set of X-rays and a vet report that notes any pre-existing conditions.

It is up to the buyer to have their own vet actually do an impartial pre-purchase, however the buyer can save money by having the vet view the X-ray results.

vbunny
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:11 PM
Darren has always done a lot with H/Js, he showed them at the same time as he evented. Also, it's not unusual to have horses "pre-vetted" at sales. They do it at the TB sales - flexions, pictures, scopes, etc. Then you can talk to the vet and/or have your own done too. That way if there is an issue before hand you can find out without spending your own money or the seller can say with confidence that he expects the horse to pass a vet.