PDA

View Full Version : Seriously poopy question:

pintopiaffe
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:27 AM
Not to usurp the "Dirty Jobs" guy... but... it's all about pooh...

Barn dogs infatuated with cat pooh and horse pooh...

How bad is it for them?

Provided proper deworming and fecals all around?

:dead:

:no:

Granted, they don't get Taste of the Wild, but they get pretty damned good food. One is infatuated... the other could care less. How much do I worry?

:lol:

:o

Nanerpus
Jan. 19, 2010, 07:55 AM
Not to usurp the "Dirty Jobs" guy... but... it's all about pooh...

Barn dogs infatuated with cat pooh and horse pooh...

How bad is it for them?

Provided proper deworming and fecals all around?

:no:

Granted, they don't get Taste of the Wild, but they get pretty damned good food. One is infatuated... the other could care less. How much do I worry?

:o

I'd worry the most if I woke up in the morning with the one who is "infatuated" sleeping next to me in my bed!:D

On a more serious note, I wouldn't worry a lot unless it continues for a long period of time.

NoDQhere
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:04 AM
Dogs just love cat poop :lol: Cats have a short, rather ineffective digestion system so much of their food goes "through" them. And we all know how dogs love cat food :lol:. I don't know why some dogs love horse poop. Maybe it is for the "grass" taste???

It must not hurt them as our two dogs are connoisseurs :eek:.

wendy
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:17 AM
dogs gobble deer poop, goose poop, horse poop, cat poop, and happily roll in fox poop. If you give heartworm preventative pills regularly they also act as de-wormers. The things to worry about are: cat litter can kill the dog (not the poop, the litter, so keep litter boxes out of doggy reach); and if you just de-wormed your horses some breeds of dogs are very sensitive to ivermectin and should be kept away from the horse poop for a while.

PRS
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
Dogs eat poop. That is a fact of life. In fact, the Navaho word for dog literally means "manure eater". Keep them current on their heartworm meds and they should be fine. My dogs like cat poop, horse poop, chicken poop, and each other's poop. Every now and again one of mine "overendulges" and I get poopy vomit.....nice.

VarsityHero4
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:33 PM
My dog is 13 and has only lived on a farm for the past 4 yrs. She eats horse poop like we pay her to do it, and it's never caused any problems for her.

Phaxxton
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
Unless the dog is getting sick regularly, I'd only be worried after de-worming with Ivermectin. Dogs can get very sick from ivermectin.

NoDQhere
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:48 PM
Clumping clay cat litter is IMO, bad news for cats and the dogs who dine on their poop. I've read more than one horror story about a cat with a stomach full of clay. We have used Wheat Middlings for cat litter for years. Just recently we've switched to Dried Distillers Grain and the cats are using it real well. It is a by product of Ethanol production and is cheap. About $7.00 for 50 pounds. To the best of my knowledge it should be 100% safe for any critter that eats it and it has a "grainy, sandyish" texture that makes it a nice litter. It kinda smells yeasty.

tangledweb
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't worry a lot unless it continues for a long period of time.

It will continue for the life of the dog. Seriously, it's a dog. That's what dogs do.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:43 AM
Seriously, it's a dog. That's what dogs do.

Litter is clay, non scented, non clumping. I'm worried a little more about that...

I've caught him raiding the litter a couple times lately. He's OBSESSED.

wendy
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:12 AM
cover the box with a door the dog can't get through or put it somewhere the dog can't reach. Cat litter is very bad for dogs.

Laurierace
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:13 AM
I keep the litter box out of reach of the dogs with a baby gate that the cats jump over. Other than that my dogs pretty much have an all you can eat buffet. I even buried my lab behind the manure pile as that was her favorite spot in the world.

equest
Jan. 20, 2010, 11:43 AM
Dogs eat poop. That is a fact of life. In fact, the Navaho word for dog literally means "manure eater".

LOL - really? !