PDA

View Full Version : Full Gallop Mar HT

sch1star
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:51 PM
I can't believe we are thinking about heading to Aiken! So exciting...and kind of crazy feeling...

I have poked around online but am curious - for those of you with eyewitness views, what you can share about the FGF course (anything in particular about Mar?). The Omnibus says "av/for experience" but also "substantial, not a move up."

Figuring Aiken will be ramping up in difficulty well before what I'm used to in Area I, and trying to get a feel for whether the BN would be appropriate for a pony with just a couple under his belt from the fall, with 6 weeks off in winter and 6 weeks of work in spring by the time the event rolls around.

He was pretty clean in the fall (one hello, pilot type stop), but his eyes did bug out at times...

TY!

RiverBendPol
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:16 PM
Do it! We'll be there. FG is a gas. Laid back atmosphere, lovely courses. The dressage is right next to the barn which can be tricky for some :eek: but definitely worth the trip. Gotta start somewhere. You'll certainly be better prepared than I...I'm doing Sporting Days a week after arriving in Aiken. Sure seemed feasible on opening day. Less-so now, after all these snow and ice days!

CookiePony
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:30 PM
Taco and I will be there! We stayed/ schooled there last year, and it is such a fabulous venue.

sch1star
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks! So would you say mostly max? Any feel for how technical?

Pol - I thought of doing SD too after a week of being there!

Cookie - are you staying at FG again this year?

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
It's a great place!!! Do it!!!

I don't remember the BN course specifically, but in general....they have a lot of the questions but I wouldn't call it maxed out. Occasionally you'll get a few tricky things here and there at the occasional show, but it's more tricky cause it's looky. Like... a friends horse had a refusal because he was spooking at an intermediate fence next to his fence. My horse wouldn't go into the water at one show cause there was too much "stuff" in the water to look at! But.. the jumps themselves are not anything crazy. I think you'll be fine!

I want to say there is a half coffin at Novice and a nice inviting ditch at BN. I think BN is just a pass through in the water.... it's a nice water :)

Do what I do... go to hoofclix or whatever and look up FG and look at the BN pictures :)

RiverBendPol
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks! So would you say mostly max? Any feel for how technical?

Pol - I thought of doing SD too after a week of being there!

Ya, sooo, ARE you doing SD a week after getting there??????? I'm starting to bite my nails! I almost fell off on XC there last year when my baby came around the corner and spied a Prelim roll top! He took a flying LEFT. Luckily I did not jump the fence alone...
The snow is dumping down here right now. 5 more inches due on top of the 10 we got yesterday. I am going to put my trailer in the barn and start getting it organized! Wahoooo.

No, BN is not technical. Just go run around and have some fun.

Sporting Days (March) opens today!! :)

Sudi's Girl
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think their BN is rather fair - although I remember a bending line off a ditch at the last one I was at, that I thought was strange - although doable. Can you volunteer at one of their february events? That could give you a good idea! :)

yellowbritches
Jan. 19, 2010, 03:11 PM
Glad to see this thread. We're supposedly heading down with a few for March, and I realized last night that A) SD opens TODAY, and B) We'll be there less than a week prior to SD. So, maybe we'll do the CT at SD, and do the event at Full Gallop.

CookiePony
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:09 PM
Cookie - are you staying at FG again this year?

No-- this year I'll be at Jumping Branch and ship into Full Gallop. :cool:

nextyear
Jan. 20, 2010, 06:21 AM
FG has a good X/C but the dressage rings are awful. I wish they would put them someplace where you have more than 2 inches between rings and please fill the holes!!!

LuckyStar
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
We'll be there early March too! This is my first time going to Aiken and I'm super excited. :D Just entered Sporting Days and planning on entering Full Gallop as well. Glad to hear all the positive comments from those who have been there!

The farm my horse will be staying at seems really nice, but I'm still not sure where to stay myself. :confused:

CookiePony
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
I hope to meet some of y'all (I'm a Yankee but I live down South now...). I just posted an Aiken roll call thread.

It looks like I'll be at the Hotel Aiken. They have specifically dog-friendly rooms-- I hope they are OK...

tarheelmd07
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:51 PM
No-- this year I'll be at Jumping Branch and ship into Full Gallop. :cool:
you'll love staying at Jumping Branch - it's so quiet, as there are a lot fewer folks staying there!

LuckyStar
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
It looks like I'll be at the Hotel Aiken. They have specifically dog-friendly rooms-- I hope they are OK...

Oh yeah, I need my place to be dog and child friendly too!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hotel Aiken is great!! They recently redid the rooms and they were super nice! Plus you're right there for dinner! But don't forget... Aiken closes down early! I had to eat dinner at the gas station one night cause it was too late!