PDA

View Full Version : Creating a farm website?

GoForAGallop
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking that it's about time to enter the 2000's and create a website. :) What I need is:

1) My own domain, no ads that I don't allow, etc.
2) Preferably a domain/some sort of program that is easily used to create the webpages and stuff. Most of the free sites have "webpage builders" that help you create a decent looking 5 to 10 page website in under 10 minutes.

What are you all using? Can you give me an idea of what you pay per month/year (which ever) for upkeep? Can I see the website? Easy to design?

If I must, I'll have my boyfriend put together something for me (he's a computer geek) but I'd much prefer to have a simple website-design program that I can go into on a daily basis to change, if necessary.

I'm looking at Godaddy right now, which offers the domain name and then a website design program for a very reasonable cost. But if someone is using something better?

wsmoak
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:39 PM
Weebly! http://www.weebly.com/

Despite the funny name, it's really simple to create a nice website. This way you're not at the mercy of someone else to make updates for you.

You can try it out for free (your site will be [something].weebly.com) and then buy a domain later if you want.

horsetales
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:40 PM
There are several web site threads in the breeders forum 1 of which is what you are using (also pet peeves in web sites). Ours is through Yahoo, their software is very amatuer friendly.

clivers
Jan. 19, 2010, 07:54 AM
I used freewebs to build ours (now webs.com). It was super easy and kindof fun! I was able to build in a few hours...while my baby was napping if I recall...
We pay about $30 per year for our domain name and to be ad-free.
The url is in my signature, if you're interested :)

KristiKGC
Jan. 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
I use GoDaddy. It was easy and I can change it as often as I want without too much effort.

My website is Tiger Brook Stables (http://tigerbrookstables.com)

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
Although my site isn't horse related, I bought my domain name from namecheap.com and I host my site at Surpass Hosting. They are a very good web-hosting company with decent rates.

Trevelyan96
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:03 PM
I built mine with Yahoo. Its not a farm website, its for my personal business, but it was super easy to do, and mine is several pages with links, etc. Cost is $12.95 / mo and includes my own email domain which is attached to my Yahoo email account.

PM if you want to see the site to get an idea of what you can do with their software.

Nes
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
I would suggest you find a local server host (try crags list, etc.) so you've got a geek you can ask when there is an issue. They also tend to be a lot cheaper.

IMHO you don't want a website you can set up in 5-10 minutes, unless you really are just interested in have a page out there on the net with you phone number & address on it.

You can get a domain name for $5 (at least you could several years ago when I had my own site) and that wasn't even the cheapest you could go. Clivers $30/year is pretty reasonable.

I just finished building a very nice (if I do say so myself...) site for a friend of mine. Originally she was going to pay someone $600 for a similar service when I stepped in and told her to keep her money I did it in 4 months (which, yes is VERY slow) but also for free. But it's 20 pages+ with video and flash, to help build her business.

Basic HTML is really not that difficult if you're interested in learning :) and there are lots of neat programs available at least on free trial downloads.

katie+tru
Jan. 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've always used GoDaddy.com for the name/space and Microsoft Frontpage for designing. Frontpage is outdated now and Microsoft has a new program called Expression Web 3. You don't need any coding knowledge to make a basic site. You can just type out whatever you want to say and insert photos, links, etc. It can be as basic or as jazzed up as you want.

dmalbone
Jan. 22, 2010, 05:25 PM
I've always just created my own in html, Frontpage, or flash and hosted on GoDaddy. This is just a basic school assignment I did in a Flash grad class (not horse related obviously) , but the entire class was a non-intensive 8 or so weeks long, online, and basically mostly self-taught. It was a fun change from HTML. I personally would rather create them myself because you have the ULTIMATE control over them and can do whatever you want. I've tried builders and they're great if you are flexible in what you want and don't want anything specific.
http://mypage.iu.edu/~dlunderw/malboneflashfinal.swf

draftdriver
Jan. 25, 2010, 11:47 AM
I do my own html coding on my web pages. It's really very easy to do.

Here's a hint: if you find a web page you like, you can see what the code looks like by clicking "View" in your menu bar, and then clicking on "page source" (or other similar names, depending on your browser). You can copy the code, and modify it to your needs. But beware, sometimes the coding is so horrendously bad that you DON'T want to touch it. For example, one web site I took over had 8 pages, single spaced, of code to display 8 lines on the screen. I did the same thing in 15 lines of code and text. Does that make me a geek? :lol:

LauraKY
Jan. 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
We use 1&1 but are switching to fatcow. Have used weebly and it's great for a novice. Very easy to change and upload. I would start with weebly, and then maybe graduate if you have to. Compare prices and use the 30 day trial to make sure what you get is what you want.