PDA

View Full Version : Insuring the cheap horse

Beam Me Up
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
I like to have Maj Med on my horses, just to be safe.
My insurance requires a horse to be insured (mortality) for 5K to get the higher coverage for MM (otherwise you pay a lot for less coverage), requires a show record (really dinky ones seem ok with them) to prove value changes.

In the past, with horses bought for less, I've waited to take my horse to a show, then submitted the application with a 5K value.

But with all this ice/mud etc it's going to be a while, and watching them slide around like maniacs outside makes me worried. What have others done? Have you actually insured it for the (let's just say) 3-figure purchase price to get some coverage? Or tried to boost the value to 5K without competitive results?

I'm not at all worried about the mortality aspect. It's the huge vet bill that can strike at any time.

Thanks!

Meredith Clark
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
I have Juice insured for $1500 (for mortality) but he has $12k in surgical and $10k in major medical.

I figure that's enough to cover the majority of a colic surgery.

I only pay $40 a month so it's very reasonable for a young OTTB doing lower level eventing.

I didn't have to do much to verify that he was worth $1500.00, I submitted his Jockey Club papers (his father won the KY Derby in 2000) and that was enough for them!

Beam Me Up
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
Wow, do you mind my asking what company you use?
Mine gives much less coverage for under 5K horses, but I'd happily switch.

CookiePony
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
I went through Broadstone and the first year I had my last OTTB, before he had competed, I was able to insure him for some tiny mortality amount (can't remember, but it was less than $5k).

leheath
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:59 AM
I know my insurance company allowed me to increase my young horse's value based on the sum/amount I had spent on training. Do you take regular lessons? Is, or has, your horse ever been in training? The amounts spent on this can add up quickly....

Catalina
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:10 AM
I use Broadstone and have one of my guys insured for $1800 mortality and $7500 MM. The underwriter is The Hartford for horses valued under $5000 (I believe).

subk
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
I got a quote from an agent (sorry can't remember which company without digging up notes) for an OTTB that raced once, came off the track this fall and has done nothing else and is valued by his owner at $4K. (A rather high number in this market!) $430 annual premium for $7500 MM and $5k mortality.

I told the agent he had nice sport blood lines and was closely related to a horse I currently have in training and they were happy with that.

flabbergasted
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:52 AM
You should definitely shop around, there are other options in terms of coverage amounts. Also, many insurers will increase the value of the horse by the amount spent on training and/or a written appraisal done by a professional. I've actually never encountered one that would consider competitive experience alone when determining value.

Meredith Clark
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
I went through Equineinsurancecenter.com

I believe it's 12k for surgical and 10k for mm.. if Juice is less I KNOW that that's how much Jay's is and he's only insured for 4k and they didn't need anything to verify that, I insured him right off the track.

Jay's monthly payment is $70 a month.

spaceagejuliet
Jan. 20, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have the same feelings about the mortality and medical, medical is why I get mortality.

I use Blue Bridle as my agent. They asked specifically what I paid, but I didn't have a problem getting $10k of major medical even with a lower purchase/adoption price. I pay about $90/month for both of em.

add: Only problem with this plan is that now if i want to up their value, I apparently MUST show them, even locally, and present their record. As I'm not normally a show person, and its insanely muddy and snowy in the NE, this stinks.

Muleskick
Jan. 24, 2010, 12:01 AM
Try EMO in Warrenton, VA. That's who we use and our pony horses are insured for 2500$ mortality and 7500$ mm and it is @ 200 a year. They insure the race horses for 8% for mortality but no mm.