PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Hollow Farms - SOLD!

Carol Ames
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:20 PM
aNYONE else see this?http://www.pleasanthollow.com/

kiwifruit
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:44 PM
So sad! One of my favorite venues in the 80's and 90's for eventing since it was right down the road. Have many fond memories of that place, especially that ditch and wall fence in the corner of the pasture. Had many ugly rides to that fence!

lizajane09
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:47 PM
Have many fond memories of that place, especially that ditch and wall fence in the corner of the pasture. Had many ugly rides to that fence!

:lol: I definitely remember having an ugly ride to that fence -put my teeth halfway through my lip as I remember! I agree it's sad though... it's where I did my very first event and I always remember it being a good experience overall.

gardenie
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
I did my first event ever there in 1983 and I won an intermediate there in 1994 or 5...will miss it!

Carol Ames
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:48 PM
er 50 years, Pleasant Hollow Farms has closed its barn doors. The property has been divided into three parcels, one which has been sold, one that is under contract, and the third is still on the market. It is the end of an era.

Carol Ames
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:59 PM
They could run all three phases in one day SO easily, and efficiently,once I discovered that it was not such a bad drive (5 hours, as compared to 30 -45 minutes) it became a good "qualifier when needed; also a place to try new "things, ie. running my last prelim horse in a lindell for XC and SJ

eks
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:57 PM
That is too bad. I loved going to the events there back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was really nice being able to do everything all in one day!

Did my 1st Intermediate there I think...The jump that freaked me out the most was that huge open table in the middle of the field heading down the hill...I HATED that jump!!

Carol Ames
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:19 PM
The jump I remember is that BIG :winkgrin:bullfinch at the top of a VERY STEEP, AND, AFTER RAIN, SLIPPERY:eek: HILL; THE 2ND FENCE; FOLLOWED BY A hard, VERY:yes: hard right ATHE BOTTOM OF THE HILL, to a ditch and rail in the treeline; I was STANDING UP in my stirrups AND :sadsmile:HAULING ON my game little mares' head to get her up and balanced enough to turn safely and gallop away;:yes: ah, what our horses do for:cool: us:yes:!

Reynard Ridge
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:52 AM
I was always a huge fan of PH and Jane Cory also. Still am a huge fan of Jane, come to think of it. :D

Just a gentle note, though Pleasant Hollow was sold years ago. While my aging memory does not serve me well, I am pretty sure they shut the barn doors in spring, 2007? Someone can come along and correct me, but it was in that general time frame.

lionstigersbears
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:17 AM
Just a gentle note, though Pleasant Hollow was sold years ago. While my aging memory does not serve me well, I am pretty sure they shut the barn doors in spring, 2007? Someone can come along and correct me, but it was in that general time frame.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is correct and it closed in 2007. I did a short working student program there when I was 14 or 15... my friend and I thought it would be like summer camp in the Thoroughbred books, it was, um, slightly different, but a great learning experience. Never actually made it up there for a starter trial, but I set up plenty of jump courses there :yes:

hey101
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:31 AM
It was definitely spring '07 because it was closing just as I was moving to CA. Pleasant Hollow was such a wonderful facility- very straightforward courses, no tricks but of appropriate size and some "scary" stuff- I too had quite a few icky rides to that ditch-and-rail in the far corner! I did my first (and thus far, only successfully completed :lol:) prelim there, and took an endless number of greenies to lessons with Jane and she helped me get them all started. I love love love Jane and can't say enough good things about her, and if anyone in the area is looking for a trainer, I know she's actively giving lessons in the area- she has my highest recommendation, I wish I was still in her area to keep learnign from her. :)

Fergs
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sad to hear it's been sold, but I have to say that of my cohorts in Area II, few of us ever had a pleasant experience at [Un]Pleasant Hollow. I had one of the most FUBAR events there one year, in which there was a missing jump judge and I also had to overtake a very slow horse and inept rider who refused to give way.

Anyway, it's always sad to hear of losing farms to development.

When did they stop having events, anyway?

mpack
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:44 AM
Many, Many, Good memories from Pleasant Hollow competing and coaching The dressage across the street... the added adventure of stabling at various nearby barns of all different shapes and sizes. ..time does canter...gallop on.....thanks PH for many well run and enjoyable horse trials.

Crosswinds Rescue
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:56 AM
I basically learned to ride at PH. I started at a saddlebred barn in downtown Allentow, but quickly found it wasn't for me, and my parents trucked me all the way to Pleasant Hollow from Emmaus.

Then we bought a little farm outside Coopersburg (we were WindaMere Farm, from 1979 to 1983), and I rode lessons at PH whenever I could manage time and funds to do so.

I never did make it to eventing, but PH did a great job of putting a foundation under me as a student, and I LOVED watching the Events at that facility every chance I got!!

For those of you who rode there in the late 70s, my family are the ones who purchased "Petey" a cute little grey pony that would ride EXACTLY 60 minutes and a few seconds, then was done -- whether in the middle of the jump course or a show class or whatever! I adored him, and missed him terribly when we had to sell him after we could no longer keep WindaMere. I wish I knew where he went, he was a one of a kind little luv-bugger.

Fond memories of PH will be in my mind all day today. So sad to hear it sold in pieces. :(

AnnMarie Cross
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc.
(now in middle-of-nowhere Illinois, but my roots are still outside of Allentown PA....)

colliemom
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Anyway, it's always sad to hear of losing farms to development.

Well, it's not being "developed" per se. The house in the back with the big stone barn was sold with some acreage, the new people have horses and have done a lot of renovating and new fencing. The major portion of the property (XC course, barn/indoor) was sold to a horse person as well. They are building a house in the middle of the property (sort of where the training bank was in the middle of the back field) and putting up new fencing and runout sheds. The piece that is still for sale I believe is the chunk on the corner of Slifer Valley Road and 212 and the field back by the cemetary where the big prelim ditch was (uphill from the water.) At least that's where the realtor sign is hanging.

I have spoken to the new owner and there is no plan to my knowledge to develop it as in putting up multiple tract housing.

I was the last rider at the last recognized event there (riding Prelim) I live 5 minutes from there.

Crosswinds Rescue
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:09 PM
Collie,
that's great news that the property appears to be staying in use.

Sounds kind of like what happened when we bought the Limeport farm from the Hutchisons and became WindaMere -- the owners kept 5 acres up the lane from us, sold 5 acres also up the lane to another family (no horse facilities), and sold the main 21 acres, farm house,indoor arena and barns to my family.

Last time I made it into your neck of the woods, the farm we called WindaMere was now a private farm with no boarding/lessons/etc. I cant help but wonder what is going on these days, might you know? it is on ackerman lane outside Limeport with a Coopersburg address, last known name was Arrons Hill I think?

My mom is buried at the Catholic church just up the next road, with a view of the farm that was her life's dream...she got to spend about 3 months of her life there before leaving us to cross the Rainbow Bridge. :sadsmile:

colliemom
Jan. 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Crosswinds,

I'm not too familiar with that area west of Coopersburg, but I'm always looking for an excuse to explore! If you PM me the exact address, I'll try to swing over there to poke around and look!

OhMissLibrarian
Jan. 20, 2010, 08:18 AM
Shameless Bump!

There are a lot of us (myself included) who owe our start in this fine sport to Pleasant Hollow and/or Jane Cory. We need to make sure if/when the USEA History Project (see Denny's thread in this Forum on the idea) comes to pass, that they are included.

Pleasant Hollow/Jane & John Cory were definitely pioneers in Area II for our sport!

And as was pointed out, the land that was Pleasant Hollow is definitely under conservation/preservation.......while in the selling process, Jane and John went through great pains (and time, and money) to make sure it would never be able to be developed.

Oh, the memories are numerous and great......I will always miss Pleasant Hollow

Catalina
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:53 AM
I was the last rider at the last recognized event there (riding Prelim)

That's cool, in a bittersweet kind of way.

I<3Sleepy
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:40 PM
It did sell a while back. I boarded there for my fall semester at Delaware Valley College back in 2006. I LOVED it! Everyone was super friendly, Jane was the BEST! I rode in my first Lucinda Green clinic there and jumped the bigger XC fences that were left. I remember seeing the ENORMOUS ditch...my horse would not go anywhere near it. I always wished I had been there when they ran the recognized stuff, it must have been so much fun!

Great place, glad horse people bought it and it will continue to be horse property! :D

JanWeber
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Jane Corey is still around teaching and coaching. She's great - if you ever have an opportunity to clinic with her - take it.

Jan. 21, 2010, 08:17 AM
Jane does have a facebook page for Pleasant Hollow. You can post pics etc

Bogie
Jan. 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
Pleasant Hollow was where I first started eventing. I lived in Allentown for a couple of years and worked in Coopersburg. Leased a horse and kept him down the road at Springfields.

Those were fun times.