PDA

View Full Version : insurance question in re: upperlevel horse

3horsemom
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:00 PM
i do not have an upper level horse nor am i in the market for one. just curious.
are there insurance companies that will insure the older, 16+ ul horse?

pegasusmom
Jan. 19, 2010, 08:27 AM
For mortality or major medical?? We found that it was much harder to get older horses insured for mortality (and some point the insurers we talked with would not continue to carry coverage - I want to say beyond age 18?), and the major medical premiums were higher.

Coverage for horses competing at Prelim and above is pricier.

3horsemom
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:59 AM
both. but major medical for sure.
i have a friend looking for insurance for an 18 y.o. intermediate horse.

joiedevie99
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:01 AM
Well, I can't find anyone who will issue major medical for a dressage horse over 16 y/o. They will allow surgical only until 18 or so.

ZELLA
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:01 AM
At this point in time, I believe all the U.S. companies cease to offer the full major med to horses aged 16 and older, but they can still get a surgical-only coverage. You might (or might not) find a company who will allow new coverage on a 17-year old, at expensive rates. Most companies won't consider new coverage on an 18-year old.

18 is the last year of eligibility for full mortality renewal coverage with most companies, but there are one or two out there who will agree to keep insuring a horse into its early 20's as long as the horse has been sound and healthy, and if you want to pay the very high premium involved. Most people stop insuring when thei horse reaches age 17 or 18 because of the age surcharge to the premium.

3horsemom
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:11 PM
thank you for the above information.
that is what i thought as well but we have never had a horse that did anything above training.

Foxhall
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:59 PM
One of my friends is thinking of insuring her upper level horse for loss of use insurance. Hes only low teens, but he's campaigned ALOT during his career. Expensive, but then again so was the horse.