PDA

View Full Version : horse leases

EightBelles134
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:57 PM
I am looking to start eventing beginner novice this spring and am looking to lease my first horse. I am a confident,quiet rider but I do have some confidence issues so I would be looking for a quiet horse or something unflappable...So I was wondering, does anyone know of any eventing barns in New Hampshire that would have horses available for off-the-farm half leases? I am willing to an on farm lease, but I am limited by distance so the barn would have to be in the Portsmouth/Dover NH area for me to do that...also since it would be my first lease does anyone have any suggestions on what/what not to do?

VicariousRider
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
off-the-farm half leases?

I have never heard of an off-farm 1/2 lease. Generally these would be full leases since the horse would be in your "program." However, if you are looking to ride at a specific barn (or group of barns) you could ask them what they have available.

If you have a trainer you like, you may have a better chance of finding a lease suits you if you ask for your instructor's advice/help. She/he probably has a good idea of what type of horse you need and might know reputable people in the area to contact.

I would recommend that you take your trainer along when you go try your prospective mounts if possible (if not for the first ride, definitely before you commit.) It's good to have a set of eyes on the ground and, again, she will likely be a good judge of whether you two suit each other since she knows you (and theoretically has more experience evaluating horses).

Good luck!

Mary in Area 1
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:30 PM
People don't lease event horses as much as hunters. Most leases are in-barn and arranged thru a common trainer.

Who is your trainer in NH? I would start there.

EightBelles134
Jan. 19, 2010, 05:55 AM
I'm considering looking into a 9 year old Paint/Thoroughbred x that would be an on the farm free lease.So i was wondering what is a free lease?would i be required to pay all the bills? also, the description lists the horse as "Not a beginner's horse, but he's foward but quiet"..what does that mean when a horse is forward but quiet?

blaster
Jan. 19, 2010, 05:59 AM
Ithat would be an on the farm free lease.So i was wondering what is a free lease?would i be required to pay all the bills?

Free lease means you don't pay the owner a fee to use the horse. While you may be able to negotiate anything, generally you pay all expenses shoes, show entries, board etc.

If it was not a "free" lease you would need to pay the owner an additional sum--rule of thumb is 10% of horses sale value per year.

VicariousRider
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
Not a beginner's horse, but he's foward but quiet"..what does that mean when a horse is forward but quiet?

This could mean almost anything. You have to remember that ads are written to entice potential buyers/lessees, etc. I would make a call to the advertiser and ask specific questions: why not a beginner if he is quiet? etc. Be very honest about your abilities and ask the person if you sound like a good match. While it's hard to admit one's weaknesses as a rider it is worse to end up overfaced and scared (or stuck with a horse that you don't want to ride!). If he still interests you go try him!

I agree with Blaster: you will likely have to pay all expenses since you will not have to pay a lease fee but ask to be sure.