PDA

View Full Version : BP trailer - square nose vs. "aerodynamic"?

tpup
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
How much of a difference does it make for someone who is hauling few times a month, perhaps 30 mins. each way at the most? Looking at the Adam Bronco II stock/slant combo - actually all the Adams have the square nose. (BP that is...). One lady told me it will haul terribly when loaded due to this square nose. I never heard this before - I read a little about it in trailering book, but it pertained more to those who hauled alot of long distances and highways. The 3 Adam dealers I spoke to said "you won't even know it's back there..." - BP users, give me opinions please ;)

hosspuller
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:04 PM
Frontal area is most important. At highway speeds the shape is negligible to air drag. A fairing from the tow vehicle would be more effective at reducing aero drag than trailer nose shape. Tire inflation pressure will have more effect on hauling costs. Tires improperly inflated for load are expensive wear items.

wildlifer
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:17 PM
No, you will not be able to tell a difference. It will make a difference in drag, which will affect gas mileage but probably only slightly, but there are many other variables in there, including the shape of the tow vehicle. Whoever that lady was must never have pulled one, LOL.

2bee
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:23 PM
How much of a difference does it make for someone who is hauling few times a month, perhaps 30 mins. each way at the most? Looking at the Adam Bronco II stock/slant combo - actually all the Adams have the square nose. (BP that is...). One lady told me it will haul terribly when loaded due to this square nose. I never heard this before - I read a little about it in trailering book, but it pertained more to those who hauled alot of long distances and highways. The 3 Adam dealers I spoke to said "you won't even know it's back there..." - BP users, give me opinions please ;)

None.

tangledweb
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
These guys who sell pointy things to put on the front of flat fronted trucks claim they cut fuel consumption by 10%.
http://www.nosecone.com.au/default.asp?id=16#nosecone

Of course lots of people selling gadgets claim they will cut fuel economy without feeling like they need to have a lot of proof, or obey the laws of physics as they are generally understood to apply here on earth. I think it is safe to assume though that if it is a marketing 10% improvement, it is somewhere between 0% and 10% real world difference.

I think you can be pretty sure none of the trailer makers have put much work into designing or testing the aerodynamics of their trailers. Even if the point is intended as an aerodynamic feature I am sure they are just guessing that it is better, rather than experimenting in a wind tunnel.

A pickup truck is slightly more aerodynamic than a house brick. If you start pulling a trailer behind something shaped like an F1 car or a dolphin I'd worry seriously about the shape of the trailer. Until then, if you care buy the narrower or lower roofed trailer.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:22 PM
The bullet nose was designed to give more tack room space rather than worry about being aerodynamic. It is not F1.

subk
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:02 PM
The pointy nose does give you more clearance for your back windshield when turning. It is not as uncommon as you might think to blow out your truck's back windshield with the front corner of the trailer. At least that's what the glass guys told me when I was getting mine fixed...:)

Diamondindykin
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:36 PM
I have a 4-horse Exiss aluminum trailer and it has a pointed nose. It hauls like a dream and I hardly know that it is back there. My husband has a 26 ft. enclosed car trailer that has a square nose and it is terrible to haul especially when driving into the wind. The difference between the two trailers is remarkable. The square nose is so much worse than my horse trailer that my husband has even said that he is going to change his to be pointed like my trailer.

Guilherme
Jan. 19, 2010, 07:00 AM
Below about 35 mph drag does not mean much in motor vehicles. Between about 35mph and 45 mph it counts but not so much. Above 45mph or so it counts a lot. And at highway speeds it is quite significant. I don't know if it's 10% significant (or 5% or 15%) but it's going to be there.

I don't know if handling is better or worse based upon nose shape.

In goosenecks nose shape is signficant when talking about the health of rear windows. :) It's also significant when manuevering in tight spaces as you can "jackknife" a gooseneck to get into and out of tight places without damaging either truck or trailer. In a BP trailer this can still make a difference depending upon hitch design, but is of far less importantance.

You do sacrifice some space in an "aerodynamic nose" but each user would have to determine for themselves if that loss of space would be critical from an operational standpoint.

G.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:35 PM
I don't have a gooseneck - but I've "done in" the corners of my old trailer with the camper jacks.

jn4jenny
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
I think you can be pretty sure none of the trailer makers have put much work into designing or testing the aerodynamics of their trailers. Even if the point is intended as an aerodynamic feature I am sure they are just guessing that it is better, rather than experimenting in a wind tunnel.

Brenderup does test their trailers in wind tunnels as part of the design process, but they're a little sharper than the average trailer company in that department. They have to be if they're going to market their trailers to SUV owners.

I don't think it's a concern for the average 2H BP. The real aerodynamics problem is actually everywhere BESIDES the front of the trailer. The aerodynamics problem is in front of the trailer in the dead air space of the truck bed, and it's behind the trailer too--the flat roof and flat back of trailers creates a negative airflow that actually pulls the trailer backward. So the shape of the front of the trailer, which is conveniently riding in the truck bed's wake and is probably encountering fewer airflow problems than the entire rest of the rig, should be the least of your worries. :lol: