PDA

View Full Version : Boot Dunking Poll

ZIL
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:39 PM
Just checking before I bite the bullet and get the hose out!

BAC
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:44 PM
I will never do it, and so far have not had need to. But the entire process just sounds too uncomfortable (walking around in wet boots all day? ugh!). And if they were really good boots I would be afraid of ruining them, despite those who say they have had good results.

Lucassb
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:53 PM
Well, I've done it with everything from very pricey custom Vogels to my old Ariat crowne pros that I used for schooling. It works great and doesn't do anything other than make them easier to break in and a lot more comfortable, a lot faster.

Personally I use warm water in a bath tub (not a hose) although that isn't mandatory. Ideally you want the water warm (NOT hot) and you don't need to really soak them, just get 'em wet. I dunk mine by holding the foot and dipping the tops into the water, then put them on over breeches and wear til dry. I've never needed to stretch the foot portion at all so don't bother getting that area wet, although it won't hurt anything if you do.

The only real trick is that you really MUST wear them til they are totally dry. It takes a few hours unless you are out in the middle of summer, LOL, in which case they tend to dry quite quickly.

diKecnadnuS
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
I did it with my Vogels - sort of. I would hose them down while wearing them and then walk around in them until they dried completely - but not actually dunking them in a bucket of water. It made them much easier to break in. They drop down quicker this way!

I'd do it again.

If you do it make sure to use lots of boot conditioner. I love the Vogel brand conditioner.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
Did it...loved the results...would do it again in a heartbeat.

Took new Ariat Challenge zips into the wash stall...turned on the warm water...held them under the hose...literally filled them up and dumped them out twice...hosed down the outside...unzipped them...hosed down the inside...emptied and put them on.

Rode in a lesson and out on a trail - was on the horse for about 2 hours in fairly warm weather (fall - so mid 60's low 70's). They were dry by the time I got off. Kept them on - drove home - did some stairs at home - then took them off and treated them to boot conditioner on the inside especially.

Have lovely soft boots to ride in - over 2 years old and doing just fine.

chawley
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:39 PM
Well, I've done it with everything from very pricey custom Vogels to my old Ariat crowne pros that I used for schooling. It works great and doesn't do anything other than make them easier to break in and a lot more comfortable, a lot faster.

Personally I use warm water in a bath tub (not a hose) although that isn't mandatory. Ideally you want the water warm (NOT hot) and you don't need to really soak them, just get 'em wet. I dunk mine by holding the foot and dipping the tops into the water, then put them on over breeches and wear til dry. I've never needed to stretch the foot portion at all so don't bother getting that area wet, although it won't hurt anything if you do.

The only real trick is that you really MUST wear them til they are totally dry. It takes a few hours unless you are out in the middle of summer, LOL, in which case they tend to dry quite quickly.

Ditto!

RugBug
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:42 PM
Did it with my custom Dehners and would do it again in a second. It made me fully lined boots wearable after that first day. If I hadn't done it, it would've taken forever to break them in...much pain and many blisters. The boots are now 9 years old and still look new.

I filled a 5 gallon bucket and stepped in and then angled the hose down the top of the boot so water got the inside wet. I probably didn't need the bucket at all, but it didn't hurt them.

I didn't need to dunk my Ariat Crowne Pros. They felt broken in from the first ride.

IMO, more people ruin their boots by cleaning them with saddle soap than people who dunk their boots.

DMK
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:13 PM
3/4 lined custom dehners, filled up a bucket on the wash rack, stepped in bucket, stepped out of bucket, bathed the horse and got on another one and rode him and wore them the rest of the day walking around the show grounds. That was in 1997 and those boots are still going strong.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:19 PM
Would this method work for a pair of custom boots in the feet only? My new pair is lovely, but the leather across the top of the foot could use some stretching, and since I'm only wearing them to ride, they aren't seeing a ton of action otherwise. Do you think I could step into the tub, just get the feet wet, then walk around in them to let them dry? Would it help them stretch out a little bit?

Kestrel
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:34 PM
I use the hose in the washrack. That way I can stop watering as soon as I feel the water soak through to my skin. I don't think that you need to swim in them, and I think it would take so much longer for them to dry if you fill them up. You can always repeat the process agin if needed.

maudie
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
I know you are supposed to make sure they are dry before taking them off so they don't shrink.. what if you wet the upper part and let it shrink? (I have uber skinny calves and no money for customs)

*Liz*
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
I know you are supposed to make sure they are dry before taking them off so they don't shrink.. what if you wet the upper part and let it shrink? (I have uber skinny calves and no money for customs)

I've been pondering the exact same thing; can you purposely shrink tall boots via this method and get good results?

Kestrel
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
If you have then on when they dry, they will only shrink as much as the leather or your legs allow. I'd hate to have them shrink too small to fit, so I'd wear them until dry. I'm sure there is a point where they will only shrink so much, and they may not get as tight as you would like if they were quite big to start with.

ReSomething
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
I waited till the backs of my knees were bloody and then I decided to heck with it and stepped into a bath of warm water. Wore them around for the rest of the day and they fit great. Next time I'll do it on day one.

nlk
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:06 PM
Wow i voted never have never will but after reading all of these testaments I might consider it with the new Dublins that are only 2 rides old!:D

I know that use to be a cowboy thing, Throw the saddle in the water trough and ride it dry. Fit horse and rider like custom after. I guess I look at that and all these people saying they did it with tall boots and think "something has to be going right!"

kisstherain
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:12 PM
I am a dunker. Yes, I was petrified to try it. Especially since it was with a pair of custom Vogels, which my mother paid for....if I ruined them, I would NEVER hear the end of it. But, the results were great. Filled-up the bathtub with warm water and wore them all day (about 12 hours). I went from hating the boots to thinking they were pretty swell.

doublesstable
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
Couldn't vote; didn't have an option for me. WHAT, never heard of it. But it sounds interesting.

I have been riding for over 30 years and purchased four pairs of tall boots. First pair (was a kid) they fit
Second pair (was an older kid) they fit
Third pair (about 7 years ago) they fit
Fourth pair (about 5 years ago) they have ZIPPERS. and are dress boots.

I have an off the shelve kind of leg I guess.

hollynanne
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm wondering who voted that they did dunk and won't again... why? Thinking about doing it with my Dublins... Me and my fat calves need to have a chat with our boots...

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:38 PM
I did it after wearing bloody blisters onto the back of my knees, my heels and the front of my ankle.

My trainer got tired of listening to me say my boots were hurting me.

On the third morning at the horse show she gave me a homer bucket and told me to go fill it halfway with HOT water and bring it back to the stalls. She then dumped my horse's water bucket in on top of the hot water. She put it in front of my tack trunk and made me put my feet in it until i could feel my socks were wet.

I went and rode my classes, walked around for half an hour, and then took them off. But in Colorado in the summer they dried really fast.

skrgirl
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
When I got my customs the guy told me to dunk them. Worked great.

Im kind of amazed at people who say its a terrible idea. You ride in them in the rain and mud. Thats much worse then bathwater.

mpack
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
Have endured days, and days of discomfort prior to crossing over to the "dunking camp" I was concerned because my dehners..and vogels...were such an investment that I was cautious about risking ruin --- Now, however I am a confirmed dunker...REALLY speeds up the breaking in process-highly recommend!