PDA

View Full Version : Trouble sitting the canter

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'm having trouble sitting the canter on one horse in particular. I am sitting great on every other horse.

This horse is very strong and very forward. I'm more comfortable posting the canter or riding in a half seat. Trainer of the horse wants me to sit deep, I'm not strong enough to sit his strong canter without losing my leg position and pulling with my hands.

I am working a lot on my core outside of riding and hoping it will help. He says I'm improving every ride.

Is it just a weak core causing me not to be able to ride this one horse at the canter? Video will be sent to me and I will decide if I want to post it or not depending on how horrible I look. Earlier in the ride in warm up he was nice, collected, and round. I had no issues sitting deep then.

Anything I can do other than work on my core? I'm riding him twice a week and another horse twice a week and a horse at home once a week bareback.

I'm so frustrated, this has never been an issue until this one horse :(

PugetSounder
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:39 PM
Good for you working on your core. That definitely is a very important part of sitting the canter. When you ride other horses, think about what your body is doing at the canter on them: are you moving your seat independent from your legs and your back, are you feeling your core (both abs and back muscles) work to keep you still and quiet? If you can isolate the feeling of sitting well, you may be able to do it on a more difficult canter. When you do sit, be sure your shoulders are in line with your hips and heels. Also, is the saddle the same and are the horses pretty similar in movement? If the saddle's balance points are different on different horses (quite likely), you may have a harder time sitting. Let us know how it goes!

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:46 PM
I use the same saddle and the horse I'm riding is the sire of the other easier to ride horse. My own mare has similar movement, but I ride bareback to work on my legs and seat.

Maybe I'll have to post the video of him and the video riding one of the other horses.

LShipley
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
You said that this horse is forward, but does he have a more downward build? I was having a very hard time sitting my mare's canter, and have been doing all the things you mentioned, and even though I improved, I never quite got it unless I was riding without stirrups. My trainer sent me for some dressage lessons, and I was told that I can't sit the canter because of my mare's downward build. We're doing a lot of dressage work now so she can learn to lift her shoulders more... I wonder if this is the case with this horse?

Ponyclubrocks
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:38 PM
Try dropping your stirrups at the canter, most people automatically sit deeper when they drop their irons. Then pick them back up and try not to change your position...drop as needed to readjust...

Eeq
Jan. 19, 2010, 02:28 PM
Working on your core will help a lot! Also try riding with no stirrups as much as you can, it helps with your core and body position:)