PDA

View Full Version : Saddle issue...do you think Thinline Contour would help?

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well the good news is my (formerly) hard keeper TB has gained weight (actually he's on the fat side of things). The bad news is my saddle/pad combo isn't working anymore. I used to use a fleece halfpad under the saddle with a baby pad, but the tree is now too small for his new size and the saddle is pommel high. It is even a little bit pommel high with fleece-on-horse, or no baby pad.

So I tried just the plain square pad and that works, but there is a tiny dip behind his withers (not bad) and I'm not 100% in love with the fit.

The last thing I want to do is cause discomfort.

So I'm thinking about trying the Thinline Contour Pad (reg. not ultra). I really like the look of the Contender II (Ultra thinline + Back on Track) but I'm hoping (asking) if I will be able to use the contour pad with a fitted pad for shows? I also prefer the price--especially since I'm going to sell this horse. It sounds like the Ultra Thinline is more for the rider than the horse??

I'm just wondering if it will still be too thick? Does the Thinline pad compress at all? I can always return it, but hate to waste time/$ shipping. Also, is there a different pad you would suggest?

I'm being pretty anal about this--it really is a pretty good fit, but I think it could be a bit better.

Finally, anyone see a better price out there than VTO? http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=TCP&Category_Code=SP

BAC
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have both the regular Thinline Contour and the Ultra Thinline half pad, neither one compresses at all. It is just not that kind of material.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have both ultra and regular - the ultra doesn't do much to alter saddle fit. The regular does (in my opinion) and if you are already tight up front (pommel high indicating a too small tree), I wouldn't do the regular Thinline just because it is going to make that that much more tight.

But the ultra - might help solve your problem by filling in the little gaps without changing much of the saddle fit.

I have the contour pad in black and white. My horse is dark - so for the first year of showing...I put the black pad under the fitted pad and rolled with it. The edges did show some, but blended in with my horse. Made his sweat something fierce underneath it however. So last year, I got one in white. I had to trim the back edges to get it to fit with my fitted pad, but liked that arrangement better than putting it under the fitted pad.

Not an ad, but I may be willing to sell either my black or white Ultra thinline contour pad as I am not currently using either (using the Thinline saddle fitter pad right now). PM if interested.

findeight
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
By the tree being too small do you mean too narrow now that he has filled out?

Gotta tell you, and JME, but I have never had any luck with pads on anything that was too narrow for anything more then trotting around for 15 minutes-long enough to realize it was not going to work.

You can get away with alot. Once. Then only if you take it easy and don't do it for long. But making it work for regular riding is asking for trouble-especially with a sale horse. He'll get backsore in a heartbeat. Kind of like trying to make a too tight boot fit by wearing a thicker sock.

Now, if we were talking too wide/big? That you can pad. Not ideal and it can be a PITA, but it'll work if that's what you have to do.

Hate to say it but I'd borrow something.

BAC
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have the contour pad in black and white. My horse is dark - so for the first year of showing...I put the black pad under the fitted pad and rolled with it. The edges did show some, but blended in with my horse. Made his sweat something fierce underneath it however. So last year, I got one in white. I had to trim the back edges to get it to fit with my fitted pad, but liked that arrangement better than putting it under the fitted pad.

They are actually meant to be cut with a utility knife to fit your saddle to keep it from showing, I believe it says so somewhere on their website. And it is preferred to be used between the saddle and your regular pad, that's the reason for cutting it yourself if it shows. Must be hot as heck when its directly on the horse's back.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
The big fleece pad I have is making the saddle fit too tight. The saddle fits ok (not too tight) on his naked back, but there is a tiny dip behind the wither (which wasn't an issue back when the fleece fit).

buck22
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:55 PM
if you're just trying to fill in one little gap, and the rest of the saddle is close enough in fit that anything more than a baby pad will alter it, then perhaps contact the skito people and see about them carving you up two little shims to patch that little spot (they happily do custom work). I say skito because they're material is top notch, the people are great and the product is priced reasonably, and also they bevel the edges on their shims, so it blends away and doesn't have a ridge or pressure point the way a pommel pad or the like would. its good stuff.

if the saddle is too narrow, and even w/ a baby pad sits pommel high, then like findeight said, you really should look to borrowing something, especially since he's cold backed and its only for a short period of time. findeight's advice was marvelous.

LegalEagle
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
I am a little confused...are there two saddles here? The one that is not working too well anymore and a custom-fitted dressage saddle?

If so, I'd just use the dressage saddle that fits.

mojo7777
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
I had the same problem for awhile, saddle just a little tiny bit pommel low. I made myself a pommel pad by doubling a wool knit scarf and cutting and sewing around the edges, but then I was the one who also made the ghettotastic homemade correction pad. :) My little pommel pad did work well until my horse muscled up some more. Now I just need the thinline half pad over a regular quilted pad.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am a little confused...are there two saddles here? The one that is not working too well anymore and a custom-fitted dressage saddle?

If so, I'd just use the dressage saddle that fits.

I'd rather not school over fences in the dressage saddle. Would be somewhat difficult with the ginormous thigh blocks ;)

Plus I need to make a sales video and that would look a tad odd, lol.

I wish I had someone to borrow a saddle from, but that's not an option.