PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone replaced the carpet in their trailer dressing room?

xitmom
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:39 PM
I have an older aluminum GN trailer with a good sized dressing room and sleeping area above the hitch. The only issue with it is that the carpet is pretty old and worn. I was thinking of ripping out the carpet and replacing it. Has anyone successfully done this by yourself? Hints and tips are welcome! Like what kind of carpet did you use, what kind of glue works best, measuring and cutting tips, etc.

Go Fish
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:37 PM
My dressing room has what I guess would be the same as rubber stall mats. What I like about this set up is:

1. Easy to keep clean (obviously)
2. I can take them out to clean or dry the floor
3. Nice and soft and better insulated
4. They haven't worn out yet

We have a friend who's a floor guy - he put them in. I have just a dressing room (no goose neck) so the space is smaller.

If I was going to do carpet, I would probably stick to an indoor-outdoor with a pad, maybe.

Puddin Pie
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:54 AM
We once just put a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet over the top of the worn carpet. did our best to cut the right shape and by the time all of our junk was loaded back in, it did not move.

Blue Yonder
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
I also did ours cheaply by semi-cheating. I kept an eye out for sale carpets at Target and got one that fits almost perfectly for like $20 -- just vacuumed the old carpet and plopped the new rug right on top of it. It hasn't shifted an inch without any tape or adhesives, looks really nice and required no effort at all. :D

Janet
Jan. 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
I bought my (BP Dressing Room) trailer WITHOUT carpet, and bought a strip of indoor/outdoor carpet from a hardware/home supply store. Has worked fine for 5 years.

gallupgirl
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:59 AM
I removed the original carpet from a mid-90's Featherlite and replaced it with sticky tile......the kind that comes in strips about 4-5" wide and you cut them to length with a box blade. I use a small bathroom carpet by the door which can be removed easily and thrown in the washer. This makes for an easy system for cleaning the floor and doesn't attract the wet and moldy smells that can go along with a small closed-in space.

Heart's Journey
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mine came with a vinyl wood colored floor and I love it. I do have a couple horsey throw rugs that I can shake out and then sweep the entire area. The GN does have carpeting, but the mattress and comforter cover it for the most part.

I camped with a friend that had carpet on the floor in hers and she hated it. She bought a piece of carpet to put over it, so she would vacuum it - but I knew I'd never want carpeting in mine.

I would remove it and replace it with the vinyl flooring - much easier to keep clean.

katarine
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:50 AM
I would throw a scrap piece of carpet from the carpet store up in the nose- carpet is nice to have up there, or a grippy rubber mat, so stuff doesn't wiggle out of the nose going down the road.

For the floor? Rip that mess out and put down vinyl. At least that's my plan. That industrial grade carpet is nasty, no matter how well I vacuum, horse and dog dirt is gross.

xitmom
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:16 PM
I hadn't been thinking of vinyl flooring, but I can see how it would be really easy to vacuum out. I do like the idea of carpeting in the nose, so maybe I will find a piece to lay over the existing. Great suggestions! Thank you!

Jo
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
We ripped out the carpet and used Dollar Store vinyl-type self-stick tiles. Works perfectly but won't be a permanent solution as the Texas heat seems to melt away some of the glue... So glad the nasty, smelly carpet is out though! Why they put that in a trailer tack room is beyond me.

Leather
Jan. 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
I'd look into the carpet tiles you can use in basements. They come in either peel and stick or the kind where you apply adhesive to the floor.

The nice thing is if one gets stained, ripped or super dirty you can just replace it with a new one.

Another option I'm thinking about for my tiny tack area is the do it yourself bed-liner stuff. It's got texture so it's not slippery, but it's durable and water resistant.

http://www.herculiner.com/