PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Rolex

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:30 AM
OK my life has centered around HJ and then dressage. I am still fairly new to eventing.... so I have a few questions about Rolex:

1. I am taking my riding students (ages 10-15) to see the XC and Stadium. That is on Sat and Sun. Tickets are not on sale yet. Is it worth paying extra to watch Stadium from the grandstand?

2. Not sure the set up - I did watch Badmitten YEARS ago when I lived in Europe and did not pay attention to anything but the big riders - meaning I did not pay attention to how it was set up level-wise. In CA, I got handed a gelding that had competed at Rolex - I had pictures of him doing it - with a rider wearing her number and it said Rolex. But I know he was not an advanced eventing horse. At least - I thought he was just like Novice or Training level.... What are the levels competing at Rolex?

THANKS!

Foxhall
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
Rolex Kentucky is a 4* and only a 4*. 1998 was the first year that they ran the event as a 4* and they might of had a 3* division with it for the first couple years. Before '98 it was a 3* event

Sorry I can't help with your question about grandstand seating as I have never been to Rolex.

You can go to the USEA website and search for registered horses. That will show you all of your horses' results from 2006 on. I am pretty sure that if you go to Rolex Kentucky website, they have a results archive of previous years

CookiePony
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hi Lara, here's the most recent thread on Rolex tips. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238412

The only level offered now is a CCI**** (very difficult/ international Advanced). But in the past there have been other levels. On the website you can see past winners of all of the divisions.
http://www.rk3de.org/previous_winners.html
http://www.rk3de.org/previous_winners2.html

Kairoshorses
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:42 AM
Tickets are on sale. Go to

http://www.rk3de.org/

From there, you'll be able to learn about ticketing (you'll need to have a ticket to get in both days. XC day, you'll simply wander around the course; on SJ, you HAVE to purchase a ticket to watch.)

While there are demonstrations and Pony Club activities, the only riders who'll be competing at the Rolex Three Day Event are the four-star riders.

I know your students will be wowed. I am every time I go!

DraperEquine
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:44 AM
I would say that for the stadium jumping, definitely get tickets to be in the grandstand. Even as a vendor there is no where to really watch it other than on the big screen, and if you're going to be at the park, you definitely want to be watching it live and not via a screen. The crowds usually get into it and it's a lot more fun surrounded by those individuals.

deltawave
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
I never stay for stadium, it starts too late and I have an 8 hour drive. Usually I come down Friday, catch the last dozen or so dressage rides, shop a little, walk the XC course, then watch XC all day Saturday. Sunday morning it's fun to catch the jog, then do some more shopping on the way out.

This year I've bought dressage seating tickets for Friday just in case I get a chance to go down earlier than normal. I'd say if you are planning to watch stadium, it's worth getting seats because otherwise you can't really get close. They do have Jumbotrons for watching from afar, though.

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:52 AM
I guess I should poll to see if my girls are willing to take Friday off from school and go down early... I would love to 1. see the dressage and 2. SHOP!

What shopping is there?

AH. This horse definitely competed in the 90s. Like I got a hold of him I think it was 1999 and the pictures were 2-3 years old. I think he was in his early teens when I got a hold of him so it could have been earlier.

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
Tickets are on sale!? I was at the Rolex site and it said not until February. I guess I will check that link. Thanks!

VColeman
The group rate for admission is available if you call the office to order your tickets or you can print the order form from the website and fax or mail it in. A group is 6 or more.

deltawave
What shopping is there?

If you can think of it, and it is remotely related to horses, they have a vendor there. :) Actually that's not true--you will not find much, if any, western stuff. But the trade fair is huge, diverse, and a big part of the fun. :yes:

VColeman
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:56 AM
Tickets are on sale!? I was at the Rolex site and it said not until February. I guess I will check that link. Thanks!

They won't be mailed until late February. They have been on sale since Nov.

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:56 AM
OK - it says due to technical difficulties - printing of the tickets is delayed until late February - that was a little confusing. Sounds to me a little like it means tickets are not available until then.

Thanks for making me go back.

Ajierene
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
Rolex Three Day Event is on level. It is a four star, which is the highest level in Eventing. Badminton also only has one level - the four star level. This is a very prestigious event that competitors from all over the world attend. As such there are as many competitors at Rolex as you will see spanning multiple levels at other events.

There is more information here:
http://www.rk3de.org/rk3de.html

Someone who is there would have to discuss grandstand seating. I have only been to Fair Hill International 3 day event and there was no special ticketing for different seats to view stadium jumping. It depends on the lay out. Sometimes 'special seating' is not as special as you may want...

ETA: look at that, I started posting when there were no replies and got called away...now my post seems obsolete.

FoxChaser
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
The Rolex website has a listing of the vendors who will be there. For those of us who live here, we spend the winter making our shopping list for Rolex in the spring :) If you want to watch dressage or stadium, you have no option besides getting reserved seating. I don't think there is a bad seat in the house these days what with the new arena!

LaraNSpeedy
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:26 PM
OK - I thought when I was at Badmitten there was only one level - the top most - but I knew I had a horse on my hands in CA that had competed at Rolex and I did not think he was Olympic level - high level maybe - but not that high.

That was Badmitten in 1991 or 92. so it was a while ago

I told the girls' families to have the girls save up their allowance from now until then (LOL).

SO - am I hearing correctly that you HAVE to have reserved seating no matter what due to the new facility - and then also - is grandstand just a step up?

vineyridge
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:36 PM
For some small additional amount of money, covered seating is available in the grandstand. Given that Rolex is infamous for its weather conditions--either way wet or way too sunny, covered seating is worth the extra money in my opinion. But I have loved being next to the outgate in the past, and that's no longer near the grandstand. The ingate is right next to the 110/210 grandstand sections, and if you get 210 you can also see the warm up area.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:20 PM
Badminton.

What is the name of the horse you were handed? Can we see pix? :)

Auburn
Jan. 19, 2010, 08:49 AM
If you don't want to spring for the tickets for the Grandstand, the warm-up area is almost as interesting. Watching the riders warm up for dressage and stadium can be quite a learning experience. Last year, I brought a chair and listened to the coaches. This year, because of the WEG, there should be more riders/coaches from other nations, too.

Shopping on dressage days is much less hectic, than on cross country day. Thousands of people show up on Saturday. If you can stay long enough on Sunday, you can sometimes get some deals from the vendors who don't want to lug/mail stuff back.

vineyridge
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:16 AM
Don't forget about the test events for the WEG. There is freestyle dressage on Thursday night after the first day of Rolex dressage and SJ warmups on Friday night after the second day of Rolex dressage. Then the GP SJ test event will be Saturday night after XC and the Speed class will be Sunday after the Rolex SJ and awards. There are separate tickets required for the freestyle dressage and the two SJ classes. The Friday night SJ warmups will be free for grandstand seating, and so will the dressage GP and GP Special on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

I'm planning to be there the WHOLE week. :D