PDA

View Full Version : 2009 barn chicks - yours laying eggs yet?

Dressage Art
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
I bought 2 more chicks in 2009 spring, both Wyandottes. One is silver and other is golden. My older Americana’s are laying their green eggs, but I don’t see any brown eggs from my Wyandottes yet?

Is it too early for them to lay yet?

Calvincrowe
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:41 PM
My gals (6 new Australorps, 2 new Delawares) have been laying steadily since the end of August. They were April chicks. I leave a light on them during the day--basically, from 6AM to 9PM or they are outside.

I know some of the old style, dual purpose gals are poky about getting laying, but that seems odd that they haven't started yet. What month were they born?

Dressage Art
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:04 AM
They were born in May.

eventmom
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:25 AM
I got my guys in april. The have been laying since the beginning of December.
I thought they would wait until the cold weather passed. But I am getting a ton of eggs!

JSwan
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
You could ask on that backyard chicken BB - those folks are eggspurts. brrrrooooooom chiiing.

I think some breeds are slower to mature than others. Mine have been laying all through the winter just fine - but my Salmon Faverolles were the last to start.

I think it was the Faverolles anyway. It's kinda bad timing because your flock was maturing just as the days started to get shorter. You might try a light in the coop for a few hours a day.

tle
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:40 AM
just FMI... can you post a link to the backyard chicken BB? We're looking at getting some layers asap when we move (so far still on target for a Feb 26 closing and a March 5 move in!!). We already go through a TON of eggs!! But I know almost nothing about chickens.

Waterwitch
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
Our April hens were laying in November and December, but are currently on holiday :winkgrin:

(sadly for them, holiday in Iowa, not Spain)

We have Wyandottes, Sussex, and Rocks.

JSwan
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.backyardchickens.com/

Wow. It looks like a great site!

tle
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:25 AM
THANKS!! that is going to be a great resource

f4leggin
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:48 PM
My May 2009 layers started laying in sometime late last fall - but the production so far this winter is dismal....

I have 4 green egg layers (the new ones), and 6 older layers - I am getting one green egg every other day - maybe! I really want to put a light on them and see if it improves. They are in their winter house which doesn't have good natural light(it's in my barn) - so I assume that's the problem.

Jill

2DogsFarm
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'm no eggs-pert (sorry Jswan, couldn't stop myself) but I think a lot depends on the individual as well as the breed.

My March pullets started laying around September and haven't stopped yet!
Well, except for the foofy diva Houdan. She's the only white egglayer so I know she's the slacker.

The others - Delawares & Black Stars - are production breeds.

I'm thinking because they are so young & their machinery is just gearing up they didn't get the Bionic Message to stop laying once it got dark & cold.

I don't keep a light on in the coop so they get daylight from the one window in the coop, or if they go out their yard or nothing.
Still get 2-4 eggs from the 5 of them daily.

foggybok
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
Mine were April/May chicks and have been laying since early fall. They just now slowed down a bit, but they've been pretty steady even without lights up til this last week.

I was very egg-sited* to see they kept up production through the shortest days....

(*in honor of JSwan)

JSwan
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
I was very egg-sited* to see they kept up production through the shortest days....

(*in honor of JSwan)

Eggs-actly - I was happy my girls produced through the winter too.

har har:D

2DogsFarm
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:28 PM
to say we are all eggs-tremely pleased with our Winter production?

Only problem is finding recipes that use lots of eggs!
So far coworkers & friends are not running when they see me approaching with an egg carton :winkgrin:

JSwan
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:44 PM
Try Pound Cake.

The real pound cake recipe. I think it used lots of eggs.

I have a recipe somewhere in my dungeon that uses 6 eggs. I think I can still access my cookbook cabinet.... want me to look?

2DogsFarm
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Try Pound Cake.

The real pound cake recipe. I think it used lots of eggs.

I have a recipe somewhere in my dungeon that uses 6 eggs. I think I can still access my cookbook cabinet.... want me to look?

Oooh! 6 eggs???
I am currently looking at a Chocolate Flan Cake recipe that uses 5.

I have a poundcake one somewhere, but I don't think it uses that many eggs. Could be wrong...need to check...

Yeah - go search your dungeon if you can, pretty please? :D

JSwan
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:29 PM
Well - I found two but not the one I was thinking of. I think it was some sort of frittat. I'll look some more this evening (we're renovating the kitchen and everything is piled in the living room. Oh joy)

Here's one that uses 8 egg yolks

Lane Cake
3 round vanilla layer cakes (I make mine fresh but you can use a mix)

Filling
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup raisins
1 cup pecans
3/4 dry white wine
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the yolks until well blended and add other ingredients. Mix well and place in a double boiler. Cook, stirring often, until thick. Spread the filling between the cake layers.

This is traditionally served covered with a white vanilla butter icing.

The next one is called Zabaglione. My mother made this for me all the time when I was a kid - yes - with the alcohol. You don't have to use Marsala - any light sweet wine will do - or omit if desired. Supposedly this is a frou frou dessert but I never knew that - it was just Zabaglione to me.

4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine

You don't need a copper zabaglione pan!

Put the egg yolks and sugar in a double boiler. Blend until creamy, using an electric mixer. Place the lower pot, filled with water, over the heat. When it starts to boil, place the upper pot, now containing the yolks and sugar in place. Add the wine and continue beating as it cook. It will swell up and form into soft peaks. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Now - when my mother made this for me she didn't even use a double boiler. Just just whipped it in the pan right over the burner.

May have to make that tonight for a treat.......

OH - I FOUND IT!!! It uses 12 eggs! Yummy!

Ready?

1 cup long grain rice
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1 cup water
1 stick melted butter
1 pint small-curd cottage cheese
1 cup diced salami
1 envelope Knorr-Swiss leek soup mix
1 tsp each garlic slat, onion salt, and black pepper.
12 eggs
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach - thawed and WELL drained. (I squeeze out the water)
2 tbps butter for greasing baking dish
1/2 cup grated parmeson or romano

Cook the rice in the broth and water. When cooked, place in a large bowl and add the melted butter. Mix well and add the cottage cheese, salami, soup mix, and salts and pepper. Beat 9 eggs into the mixture. Add the drained spinach and mix well.

Grease an 11x16x1 inch baking dish with butter. Sprinkle half the grated cheese on the bottom. Add the rice/cheese mixture and smooth out the top. Beat the remaining 3 eggs and pour over the top of the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake at 325 for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot or warm.

I also have a Shepardic recipe that is similar but uses fewer eggs.

Quick - copy it down before the Moderator catches me. :D

ReSomething
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:51 PM
*Copying frantically* 12 eggs - 12 eggs?! We have 6 rocks and they are just now coming out of molting so the egg production slacked off mid November /December. I think we got them in April. They started laying in September for sure, might have been earlier. Kinda waiting for them to get started laying again.

Ye Gads do they look horrid when they molt, half plucked.

I want to get an incubator, they don't seem broody at all and I want some more chicks when they get back into the swing of things.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:53 PM
OMG those sound sooooo good!

I'm going to make the 12-egg rice/cheese/salami/othergoodstuff casserole for dinner and then have the 8-egg cake for dessert : 9

the next sound you hear will be my arteries exploding :uhoh:

Eek - kitchen rehab.
I spent 6 weeks doing dishes in my bathtub with the fridge relocated to the dining room...
Just keep telling yourself it will be worth the pain when you have a nice, new kitchen!

foggybok
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've discovered lemon chess pie, only 4-5 eggs, but delicious!

eggs-quisite actually!

2DogsFarm
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
I've discovered lemon chess pie, only 4-5 eggs, but delicious!

eggs-quisite actually!

:cool: quick...before we get caught & locked...
RECIPE!!!!
Eggs-actly how does one make a Lemon chess Pie?

foggybok
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
:cool: quick...before we get caught & locked...
RECIPE!!!!
Eggs-actly how does one make a Lemon chess Pie?

2 cups sugar (I only use 1 1/2 cups and it was plenty sweet for me)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal (I used corn starch instead of the traditional meal)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (more like 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup milk
4-5 eggs
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine sugar, flour, cornmeal and salt. Add the melted butter, lemon rind, lemon juice and milk; mix well.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour into an unbaked 9-inch pie shell. Bake for 50 minutes. (Check at 40, I overcooked the first one, then lowered temp for the second and it was perfect)

I also add a handful of pie cherries (I have frozen ones from last summer )

Yummy

foggybok
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:02 PM
I guess production was not down as I thought, found the new nest in the old barn today.... I suspected they were holding out on me..... There were 3 days worth in the new nest box...

So the girls are performing eggs-tra-odinarily for the season with 7-8 eggs per day out of 9 hensa...

lolalola
Jan. 19, 2010, 11:19 PM
My girls were May babies and haven't produced anything yet. They're a McMurray mix - includes Wynadottes, Aracunas (sp) several others. There is no heater in the coop. Should I be concerned?

RacetrackReject
Jan. 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
I have, I think 23 hens. Six are part of a group purchased from the feedstore in May and the rest were purchased from McMurray in July. I get anywhere from 15-21 eggs a day typically. I will say that it took them a long time to start laying but when they did, they were great.

Most of mine are Easter Eggers (sold as Ameraucanas) with some Barred Rock, Brown Leghorn, Black Sexlink, RIR, Anconas, and one bantam thrown in. I have 2 someones that lay a double yolk egg about once a week or so. One is a white egg and one is a brown egg although I have a green egg in the box now that looks like it might be a double yolk as well. I get all shades of eggs from olive green to bright blue to brownish-pink to ivory to reg brown and white. So far I have been giving eggs away, but will start selling them now as I have my cartons in.

Dressage Art
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:11 PM
My girls were May babies and haven't produced anything yet. They're a McMurray mix - includes Wynadottes, Aracunas (sp) several others. There is no heater in the coop. Should I be concerned?
Glad to hear that your Wynadottes are slow to mature as well.

I’m quite far from being a chicken egg-spert ;) but I'm personally not very concerned that mine are not laying yet, since each chicken has a limited # of eggs in them anyway, so once they start laying, they will continue laying all of their stored eggs. Right?

And as OP, I do need more recipes that uses much of my barn chicken eggs!

2DogsFarm
Jan. 21, 2010, 02:11 PM
since each chicken has a limited # of eggs in them anyway, so once they start laying, they will continue laying all of their stored eggs. Right?

And as OP, I do need more recipes that uses much of my barn chicken eggs!

Checkout Backyard Chickens Forum - the Chicken Behaviors & Egglaying thread - for this one.
Some members have hens 8-10 years old & still laying!

Also check their Recipes thread for lots of good manyegg recipes :yes:

I LOFF BYC for chickens as much as COTH for horses :D

Dressage Art
Jan. 24, 2010, 01:22 AM
OMG! I found 2 eggs today from my new chicks!!! My very first brown eggs! YAY!

Guin
Jan. 24, 2010, 06:04 PM
Is that lemon chess pie like a lemon custard?

foggybok
Jan. 25, 2010, 05:22 PM
Is that lemon chess pie like a lemon custard?

similar, but most custards have more milk in them