PDA

View Full Version : Spring GMHA

Ritazza
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:45 PM
So what are the courses like at the spring GMHA? I hear tough but not nearly as tough as the later ones. Thoughts, specifically for Training?

Viva
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:57 AM
Last spring the training course was quite easy, too much so IMO. They do tend to be a little shorter than the rest of the year also. You'll do the open ditch, the bank, both waters (usually dropping in), but not usually the coffin. Can't remember if the trakhener was on the spring event or not, anyone know?
In general, it's a great get-you-started event.

Ritazza
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:03 AM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I was looking for a good get-you-started easy Training to begin the season with. Good to know!

pokesaladannie
Jan. 18, 2010, 02:51 PM
We have competed at GMHA for many years. The xc courses in the spring are nicely built and the many portables that they use are attractive and fairly positioned to ask educational questions.
I think most horses benefit from a trip around their xc and feel confident crossing the finish line.
P.S. Lots of great water exposure - a real bonus!

lizajane09
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:23 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I was looking for a good get-you-started easy Training to begin the season with. Good to know!

Yep, I would definitely say it is that. And viva is right about them generally being shorter as well - optimum time for Prelim last year was 4 minutes flat! I don't believe the trakhener is on the spring course as it is in the back field, which they don't typically use in the spring.

Hilary
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:44 PM
The thing I remember most about that spring course from last year was a lot of skinny things. Including 2 combinations of skinnies.

You did go "up the hill" but not out into the new far field. Because they were not using the back Upwey to start the course was definitely on the short side.

They used the bank for the first time last year too. Training hopped up, ran down, and then did the ditch. (numbered separately)

denny
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:34 PM
I think some of the riders who say "too easy" have returned from already competing in the south. The first time out of the indoor ring-ers usually think it`s about right.

sch1star
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:41 PM
Agree - it's usually a nice place to kick off up here. Also, a great venue to support.

Ritazza
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:03 PM
I think some of the riders who say "too easy" have returned from already competing in the south. The first time out of the indoor ring-ers usually think it`s about right.

That would be poor poor me Denny, stuck up here in the Great White North all year. So what do you think is the best kick-off to a Training season?

Mary in Area 1
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:33 PM

Denny Dear, you took the words right out of my mouth. Literally! :winkgrin:

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:57 AM
How about a novice or two first since your horse is still recovering from an injury? Not to be mean or anything (I'm currently rehabbing my horse too), but why push it, what's the rush?

denny
Jan. 19, 2010, 07:17 AM
The first usually dry-ish footing event up in Vermont is Hitching Post, which is on well drained river valley gravel, so I`ve been told. At any rate, it`s usually not a mud hole, except for parking, sometimes, even in heavy rain.
Good solid move-up courses, friendly, low key atmosphere, a couple of weeks before GMHA.

IFG
Jan. 19, 2010, 07:40 AM
Another plug for Hitching Post. It is a lovely event and a great way to start the season. Nice early season courses (for those who have not gone south), nice galloping course, and good footing, even in the rain. And don't let the look of the down hill scare you, it rides really nicely, even for a weenie like me.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:37 AM
Another plug for Hitching Post. It is a lovely event and a great way to start the season. Nice early season courses (for those who have not gone south), nice galloping course, and good footing, even in the rain. And don't let the look of the down hill scare you, it rides really nicely, even for a weenie like me.

The "look of the down hill" in the Hitching Post warm up is, however, terrifying!

I love GMHA and seem to compete there a few times each season!:winkgrin: This year, I hope to do the Spring followed by the T3D in August. Holy mackerel, did I just write that?

Also, no eventer had better ever say a course is easy. Sure thing that very course will swallow you right up the next time you set foot on its track!

Ritazza
Jan. 20, 2010, 07:51 AM
How about a novice or two first since your horse is still recovering from an injury? Not to be mean or anything (I'm currently rehabbing my horse too), but why push it, what's the rush?

That's actually the plan. I think GMHA is too early quite frankly (was going to make Groton House the first actual big one of the season) but I thought I would put the feelers out just because once again, for some ridiculous reason, they thought it would be GREAT to schedule Area Championships for Training (and only Training) in July. WHY! That pretty much guarantees I won't be going.

Hitching Post is just too early for us :(