PDA

View Full Version : how to make an event horse?

EquestrianRunner
Jan. 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hi
So I was given an Irish draft cross, who I would like to make into my future event horse. I only want to be able to go like training (I have her for 4+ yrs) so would she be able to do that since she is a draft cross? I know foxhunters jump draft crosses 3'+ but I don't really see that in the eventing world. So this is what shes done so far:

2 yrs old, sent out to get broke
sat in the field from age 3 to 4
got ridden during the summers from age 4 to 6 (currently 6)

I have been riding her since the begining of September and due to weather and school, I'm lucky if I get out 4-5 times a week. She jumps cross rails and small logs but I haven't tried jumping her over anything else. I think I am going to take her to a couple of schooling dressage shows this winter but what else would you do?

Sorry my post is kind of all over the place.
Thanks!

ThirdCharm
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:42 PM
An Irish Draught is not really a Draft per se, even though it is pronounced the same. It is really a heavy warmblood. So you're not talking about taking a Percheron/TBx around xc, more like a Hanoverian/TBx. Although looking at some Irish Draught crosses, you would wonder.... :-)

Do you have experience training horses or access to a trainer with experience? If you want to event she needs to know how to do dressage, jump around cross-country, and showjump.

Jennifer

PonyGal08
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
I think most horses should physically be able to do Training...

Now just a quick question... is your horse an Irish Draft x or an Irish Draught x... Usually when Americans hear "Irish Draught" they think draft => "Like Budweiser horses?" :lol: Anyway, Irish Draughts are very athletic jumpers and make super eventers, especially when crossed with TBs.

I've also seen draft x's doing Training even Prelim no problem... just depending on athleticism and other elements.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
Foxhunt!

retreadeventer
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:56 PM
Buy a book.
It's named "Training the Three-Day Event Horse and Rider".
It's written by God.
(Jimmy Wofford).
Pretty much it's about all you need.

cagey22
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
Agreed!
Fox hunting will expose your horse to all kinds of jumping, terrain, elements etc.

And absolutely, this horse would most likely be capable of eventing.

Good luck!

SEPowell
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:19 PM
Foxhunt!
Huh:confused: Nooooo, thoroughbreds are for foxhunting :lol:

Janet
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:26 PM
Now just a quick question... is your horse an Irish Draft x or an Irish Draught x... Usually when Americans hear "Irish Draught" they think draft => "Like Budweiser horses?" :lol: Anyway, Irish Draughts are very athletic jumpers and make super eventers, especially when crossed with TBs.
Sorry, but "draught" and "draft" are just alternate spellings of the same word, whether you are talking about beer (out of a cask or keg), horses, money from the bank, or the air that blows in under a door that doesn't seal properly.

An "Irish Draught" is a "Light Draught", while a Clydesdale is a "Heavy Draught", bt they are both draughts.

PonyGal08
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:32 PM
Sorry, but "draught" and "draft" are just alternate spellings of the same word, whether you are talking about beer (out of a cask or keg), horses, money from the bank, or the air that blows in under a door that doesn't seal properly.

An "Irish Draught" is a "Light Draught", while a Clydesdale is a "Heavy Draught", bt they are both draughts.

I know... just trying to keep things simple and not too wordy.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
Huh:confused: Nooooo, thoroughbreds are for foxhunting :lol:

TBs are for EVERYTHING!! But you know that hunting will help make an event horse!

LauraKY
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
We have an Irish Sporthorse here for boarding. That's an Irish Draught/Irish TB cross. He was a grand prix jumper and advanced level eventer. Then moved on to fox hunting.

But, if you don't know what you're doing, make sure you have an eventing trainer! Don' screw up a perfectly good horse. See it happen all the time! Happened to one of ours out on lease.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:58 AM
Although technically speaking and Irish Draught is a "light draft horse" comparing them to percherons, Belgians etc is not an apples to apples comparison. Irish draughts are purpose bred for jumping and galloping cross country, whereas the other drafts breeds are bred for pulling. Therefore even a full irsh draught is more than capable of being a lower lever eventer. Probably the only thing that would hold them back at upper levels would be ability to gallop at speed, as their jumping ability is well known in the grand prix jumper ring. As far as developing an eventer, basically you need to get the horse jumping, working first in arena on jumping skills and then schooling different cross country obstacles, work on dressage etc just as with any young horse.

SEPowell
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
TBs are for EVERYTHING!! But you know that hunting will help make an event horse!

And eventing will help make a foxhunter :cool:

EquestrianRunner
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:01 PM
I do have help from her owner who also is a great family friend. She has made many many horses and is great help!!!!

I would love to foxhunt her as I find that to be really fun but she doesn't like when other horses run up her butt when we are out trail riding and hacking. Also, I have been told by one trainer that she will grow out of that but shes a big girl and I don't want her to kick someone. She also HATES going out alone. Shes fine riding in the ring alone but from what I've heard she hates going out alone so would that be a problem come cross country time?

I think I have the book by Jimmy Wofford but if I don't I will deffinatly get it because he well, is GOD!

Thanks for all your help!