PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear around the farm in the rain?

Meredith Clark
Jan. 17, 2010, 02:37 PM
This post is an effort to put off going out to feed in the pour rain :lol:

I'm all about the "coverall" type outfit for the barn. I like something simple that I can just slip on. I hate layering because I always feel stuffed and I hate making so many clothes dirty in one wear!

I have a great coverall for cold weather but it's not water proof so in the rain it becomes a sponge.

What do you guys wear? Does anyone make a nice, lightweight water proof coverall?

Zu Zu
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hoping someone has found it a water proof coverall ~ beacuse I need it too and have looked everywhere !

winfieldfarm
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:03 PM
well, I wear the standard yellow Gordon's fisherman rainsuit. Standard issue pull on, elastic waisteband rain pants and rain coat. I keep a suit packed in the show trunk too for emergencies and can't count how many times it's been pulled out. I also wash horses in rain pants so my clothes don't get wet. even have two sizes, one bigger for over winter garb and one smaller for hot summer days.

I have considered giving my winter bib overalls a good washing then getting some sort of camp dry spray to waterproof the bottom half of the pant legs so the snow doesn't soak through and make the legs wet. will let you know if this works.

ReSomething
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:16 PM
Google foul weather gear and you'll get all sorts of bib overalls + hooded raincoat. I've never seen a waterproof coverall and I used to work in a chandlery that sold Grundens, Dutch Harbor and a couple of other brands.

DH wears a duster-style raincoat that he got from TSC and knee high boots over his coveralls. He has short sleeved ones like the vet wears and a lined long sleeve set.

nagatha
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:23 PM
I just get cheapie rain suits like you see the road crews wearing. I'm only 5'4'' and 115lbs. so a man's small is big on me. That way I can put cold weather gear under it and still have room to move. Besides, the cheapies can be repaired with Duct Tape if they get ripped and you don't feel guilty about wrecking an expensive suit.

MistyBlue
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:37 PM
I have a Carhartt rain slicker...men's small. Like Nagatha, I'm also small so the men's small allows me to wear regular jacket underneath if I need it.
The Carhartt slicker is rubber, not waterproofed fabric. No wet gets through it at all. It also has the grippy interior cuff so no rain gets up your sleeves and it comes to mid calf. If it's raining and windy, I add a pair of slip-on oversized rain pants so my thighs don't get soaked too.

KSAQHA
Jan. 17, 2010, 05:02 PM
I found a Misty Harbor flannel-lined vinyl raincoat w/hood, in perfect condition, at a Goodwill store...paid 99 cents for it. Keeps me dry AND warm. :)

anchodavis
Jan. 17, 2010, 05:14 PM
wellies and my "semi-retired" goretex jacket. If it's pouring sideways, I have some backpacking rain-proof pants, but I usually do the minimum I need to in that sort of weather. :)

katarine
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
Stiletto heels, bodysuit, and Pall Malls, baby.

Edgewood
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have 2 different rain coats and rain pants and I modify it depending on the temperature.

For warmer rain, I wear my Pearl Izumi rain coat and rain pants. The rain pants slip on on over regular jeans and have zips up the side all the way to the top. They also have elastic at the ankles, which I like because I can easily slip into my tall rubber boots.

For colder weather, I have a Carhart rain coat and slip on pants. They too have a full length zip up both legs, but no elastic at the ankles and they have suspenders (which I hate and never use). They are warmer than the Pearl Izumi.

Both keep me clean and dry even in heavy rain. Although I do have to wash them in special (Nikwax) soap so as not to remove the water proofing. Love both suits/coats.:yes:

suz
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:06 PM
katarine, you forgot to mention the blood red lipstick!! silly girl...

IFG
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
I am sure that I would look better in stilettos, but they kill my feet, so I wear muck boots. I would probably tip over and fall in a puddle too. :lol:

Like someone else above, I wear my retired LL Bean Gore-tex jacket. Too ratty to wear to work. Perfect for the barn.

I do wear a leather waterproof cowboy hat that I picked up in Montana when driving cross-country over 20 years ago. Might not look as cool as a bodysuit, but I think that I'm stylin'.

billiebob
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:45 PM
Wellies or my Bogs if it's colder, and a waterproof jacket--Outback brand in warmer weather, Dublin winter coat in cold weather. I don't care about getting wet, really, but I've learned the hard way that it sucks to be wet and cold (just call me Captain Obvious :lol:). I do keep spare clothes in the car in case I get really soaked.

merrygoround
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
Oh Shucks, I'm boring in my LLBean raincoat(it's roomy) & a felt hat from Sahalee.

I had craved some of the equestrian style dusters with leg straps, etc., but I'm cheap. I already own the raincoat. :lol: :sadsmile:

Equibrit
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
One of these; http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Chu-Lincs-Grey-Rain-Coat-with-Hood-Sz-M-NEW_W0QQitemZ350305255699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA _MC_Outerwear?hash=item518fd20113 but mine came with a down jacket/liner inside which is toasty in the cold, and cost $39.99 .

twotrudoc
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:59 PM
I live in Washington State. I wear an atrocious looking bright orange plastic construction poncho-thing that goes to my knees. I'm a groom and I don't care anymore as long as I can stay somewhat dry. It does work really well and I have found that laughing along is a good thing ;)

nagatha
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Meredith, maybe Katie could design us something to match her jackets that we want.

I know she would never muck a stall but I sure she has "peeps" to do it for her and I'm sure they must be dressed in style too.

Oh and another thing about cheapie rain suits: if you fall in to !@#it, you just hose yourself off and away you go.

ToiRider
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:28 PM
I wear an aussie oilskin coat AND oilskin cowboy hat, and I can go out in the pouring rain and not get wet. I got them a few months ago, and I LOVE them. I've wanted one of each for years, and I am now wishing I hadn't waited. I wear the oilskin coat as my outer jacket in the cold too, with a bulky fleece pullover underneath, and it stops the wind and cold. I LOVE IT!

Bluey
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:52 PM
Well, we are in a drought, so it doesn't rain here hardly.:cry:
When it rains, we just...
-
-
-
...stay out of the rain.:lol:

Meredith Clark
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:22 AM
I have a Carhartt rain slicker...men's small. .

Are the Carhartts lined? like would they be too warm in the spring?

Stiletto heels, bodysuit, and Pall Malls, baby.

I think my stilettos would get stuck in the mud, but I guess I'd be prepared if a random hot guy wondered onto the farm!

Hey Meredith, maybe Katie could design us something to match her jackets that we want.

Oh that'd be nice! It'd have lots of bling and be Lipstick pin!

Lostboy
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:38 AM
I wear an old Aussie oil skin coat.. its warm, has a roll out hood,lots of pockets.. and of course tall rubber boots like dairy boots with double pair of socks

LEL
Jan. 18, 2010, 03:30 AM
I love my Frogg Toggs. They are lightweight and are definitely waterproof!

monalisa
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
I have some pull on rain pants that I bought from LL Bean many years ago. Have lots of rainproof coats.

Claddagh
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:35 PM
"What do you wear around the farm in the rain?"

...Wet clothes! :lol: :lol: :winkgrin:

(sorry, couldn't resist ;))

crosscreeksh
Jan. 18, 2010, 04:57 PM
My high Muck Boots, a canvas Aussie hat, a waxed cotton outback coat...and a foul look on my face!! I've been out playing in the black gumbo MUCK today trying to drain some of the water away from the gates. One thing for sure...these horses we breed are all "mudders"!! This crap doesn't seem to bother them at all!!

KrazyTBMare
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
I wear jeans, a t shirt, a rain jacket with hoodie to walk OUT to the barn in, and either my cowboy boots or goloshes because we flood so easily. I just tuck my jeans into my boots. I usually just give up the idea of trying to stay dry when it rains. Then once Im done, I take a hot shower. lol

TBMaggie
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm picturing some weirdo reading all the responses and ......

*but that's just my gutter mind.

Tobias
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:20 PM
Well since I live in So. Cal. rain does not come often, and when it does it can not soak it all up so it floods, (as it is right now) So IF I can get to the barn (even though arena is not ridable) I usually will put on my yellow ducky floaty, a good pair of water wings, and I get my paddle out. then I can navigate from paddock to paddock and visit all the horses. LOL things are so wet here I don't plan on going out.:lol:

molliwog
Jan. 19, 2010, 03:05 AM
I live in the PNW- and it rains here a LOT!

Carhartt makes a fabulous line of stuff that's truly waterproof. I love both my Carhartt jacket and my rainpants. (And I've learned that their women's attire really is built for women. I'm currently 8 months pregnant, and have been able to adjust the rainpants so that I can still actually wear them, and the jacket still fits over my pregnant tummy!) They are also super-durable for chores like building fence, fixing tractors, splitting/stacking wood....you get the picture. I did buy them on the large side so that I could layer underneath in cold weather.

I have some really $$$$$ raingear (family member has worked for REI and Cabela's, and we sometimes get free stuff), and the Carhartt stuff is the best and most durable, hand's down.