PDA

View Full Version : PSA regarding Combined Training vs Combined Test

CookiePony
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:46 AM
I have noticed a tendency of people to used the term "combined training" for what are rightfully known as Combined Tests. Anyone else noticed this mixup in terms becoming more widespread?

For the record, Combined Training is what we used to call the discipline of Eventing itself, as in the old name for the USEA: United States Combined Training Association (USCTA).

A Combined Test is a two-phase competition with dressage plus stadium OR cross country.

Whew, glad to get this off my chest.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you CP!!! There has been a pocket of people in my area who have misused these terms for years, and it makes me twitch. I have gently corrected and explained, corrected and explained, but it's like a persistent low grade infection which keeps popping up..

I have a suspicion there are a couple of barns or instructors around who take students to local events or schooling and who spread these wrong terms. Eek, here's hoping I don't do some similar wrong talking about hunters!!

Janet
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
A Combined Test is a two-phase competition with dressage plus stadium OR cross country.
while "dressage plus stadium OR cross country" is the most common form of Combined Test, it is even more flexible than that.

EV125 Combined Tests.
Combined Tests consist of two distinct tests during which a competitor rides the same horse
throughout. The tests may include two of the following—dressage, cross-country, jumping;
or may include one discipline (such as cross-country) repeated twice under different conditions.
Combined Tests will be conducted under guidelines published by the USEA.

CookiePony
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:21 PM
Very interesting-- thank you Janet!