PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the Top Hats go? Can they be worn for Dressage?

HollysHobbies
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:48 AM
j

TSWJB
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
i bought one in a consignment shop in middleburg virginia. i was doing side saddle and smokey everhart the side saddle man said i know where one is for sale. he ran me down to a saddle shop and i found my hat. try to call some stores in very old hunt country areas. they may have some for sale. mine is sitting in my storage area of my laundry room!

Lucassb
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
Is a hunter top hat the same as a dressage top hat?

Is sizing for a top hat the same as for a helmet, cuz my friend's top hat was WAY too tight, even though we wear the same C/O helmet size (6 7/8) (I have a really round head and I think my friend's is more oval)

Ok, my good hunter friend said that Top Hats can no longer be worn in hunter-land o/f. I'm a dressage rider who is in need of a top hat on a limited budget...my friend's, sadly, didn't fit me, so my next question is, what did all of you do with your top hats? I don't see them on ebay or on vaequestrian...are they all in consignment shops?

Hunter/jumper shows now require approved helmets, defined as those meeting the ASTM/SEI standards. Top hats don't conform to that standard, and <sob> have therefore disappeared from H/J land. Mine is safely stored in the back of my closet, along with my beloved Patey. <sob>

Chef Jade
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:05 AM
Great Question. I have mine sitting in the top of my closet. Why??? Well, I sometimes dream that when I win the USHJA Hunter Derby finals on my home bred, I will switch from my approved helmet to a top hat for the victory gallop. Ha, ha! :lol:

Really I should sell it.

I THOUGHT the dressage top hats were slightly taller and therefore not the same. But would love to sell it to a dressage person if that isn't the case. Anyone know???

And they DO fit weird because there is no padding to squish or expand to fit individual head sizes. Mine is more oval so I have gaps on the sides and it is tight front to back. But it stays on!

Tiffani B
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:15 AM
Top hats fit differently than helmets. They also come in different shapes for different types of heads (oval, round, ear height, etc). They also have no stretch or padding so they are fairly uncomfortable when you have one that fits correctly.

To find out your hat size, measure around your head about 1/2" above your ears and 1" above the eyebrows. Pull the tape measure SNUG. Each brand uses a different size chart so as long as you know your measurement, you can pick the right size. If you're in between sizes, go up a size. You can put a bit of stuffing under the band to make it fit. They WILL NOT stretch so don't get the smaller size.

Check with a shop that sells Saddle Seat apparel. They usually carry top hats. If you go to a custom clothier (Becker Brothers, DeRegnacourt, LeCheval are some good ones), they can usually order the top hats in the right height (I think Dressage top hats are slightly taller than Saddle Seat top hats).

RAM
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:59 PM
I took 2 to the Tack Exchange in Middleburg, VA. I know 1 sold earlier but the other one may still be there. Sorry but I don't remember the size.