PDA

View Full Version : Entries at WEF

PSD
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
Is there a site to go to see the # of entires per class at WEF? How ARE the numbers this year?

M. O'Connor
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:06 AM
https://www.shownet.biz/LiveWeb/RingResults.aspx?HorseShowID=361

I have reliable information that the week 1 jumper rings ran longer on Wednesday this year than they did last year.

It's very hard to draw conclusions about whether entries are "up" or "down" since WEF's schedule has expanded so much over the past few years.

WEF proper has gone from 6 to 12 weeks. Littlewood has been assimilated into it, and the "season" has gone from Jan-Feb with most of March in Tampa to November to April, mainly in Wellington. Exhibitors basically can go when it's convenient, not just descend on the place only when the shows are on, and there is so much off-campus activity on private farms that measuring overall activity is nearly impossible.

Variables affect training schedules as well, for example: the EH1 outbreak 2 years ago, and the severe cold snap of the past few weeks.

Overall winter circuit activity in terms of class entries can only be tracked in hindsight, and I'd imagine actual statistics could be produced if that data could be procured from USEF.

It would be interesting to know if anyone is even tracking it.

PSD
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks. M. O'Connor. Good info. I was thinking that the # of weeks had expanded. Wow, 12 weeks. Think I'd get a bit tired of showing by then.

findeight
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:11 PM
Won't really know until each show wraps-alot of trainers are still at home and coming down in the next 2 weeks for the heart of the old WEF circuit. Many will post enter more then what they sent in with the stall deposit.

monalisa
Jan. 18, 2010, 10:09 AM
A friend who has been showing at WEF for years indicated that it was "dead" - no one there - as compared to this same time in past year. Said prices had gone up a lot too.

Dee1964
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:40 AM
The horse watch guy stated that there were 350 or so horses for the first week on the showgrounds. Way down.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:52 AM
Well as someone pointed out on another thread, the grounds have gotten smaller, and it's more expensive to stable there.

Off grounds, it's hard to assess the level of activity.

I'm told there is a LOT more action in Loxahatchie this year.

C.J.
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:50 PM
I can second the barn prices being ridiculous. Even off campus. For something reasonable I had to travel fairly far south.

showjumpers66
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:55 PM
Even though stabling might be expensive (we have a stall in the permanent barns), I thought the other fees were surprisingly reasonable. So far, Thermal was far more expensive than Wellington has been.

PSD
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all your helpful replies!!!

Florida Fan
Jan. 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
A friend who has been showing at WEF for years indicated that it was "dead" - no one there - as compared to this same time in past year. Said prices had gone up a lot too.

NOT SO ACCORDING TO THE WEEKS' RESULTS. THERE WERE 1600 HORSES THAT SHOWED, UP 21% FROM LAST YEAR.
SOME OF THE JUMPERS WENT TO JACKSONVILLE TO SHOW AS IT IS A W.C. QUALIFIER, THEY WILL BE BACK THIS WEEK END.