PDA

View Full Version : I went pony shopping for 8 hours and all I got was a McDonalds cheesburger!!

ParisHillEC
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:21 AM
I just need to post this because if it didn't happen to me, I would have never believed it!!! Please feel free to chime in with your own ridiculous stories of your clients!!

A little background, I have a student who is 6, her parents inquired about leasing or buying a pony. She has been coming along very quickly and they felt it could only help her in her riding.

We were looking for a small or med that she could do the walk/trot in shows and move up. They wanted to keep their budget under 5,000. I explained it might be hard, but I would start looking.

I found a few that sounded great, wife was always happy to go look, husband would say no. This went on for months, until I finally said, enough, and I will not look for anymore until BOTH of you know what you want to do. This was about seven months of going back and forth.

Fast forward to Christmas. The wife approaches me, and says, I am not doing a big Christmas for my daughter, all that is on her list is a pony, saddle, and bridle. Can we start looking after New Years.

Again, I didn't bring anything up, I let them come to me. Right after the first of the year, wife comes to me again. I have been saving, we are ready to get her a pony. You can make an appointment for any time in Jan.

So I look, find one well under their budget, pony sounds perfect, she is a little over 4 hours away. I have numerous conversations with the wife, once again explaining how it works, my commission fee, etc. I also suggested that since it was such a long ride, and after all the videos and pictures of the pony, would she feel comfortable just taking the trailer, so we wouldn't have to make two very long trips.

She agrees and I tell her, be prepared to buy this pony.

Longer story short, we go last weekend, pony is PERFECT especially for the price. The family just couldn't afford broad on three ponies anymore, pony is well under priced.

Wife calls husband, says pony is perfect, we're going to take her home. Husband must have flipped out and insisted she sleep on it. I begin to get very frustrated with the woman. She wouldnt even leave a deposit, and said well can't we just come back for her another day.

The people selling the pony said that someone else was coming to look at her, and with no deposit, she would sell her, which is normal.

For TWO hours my client couldn't decide what to do. She then claims she didn't bring her check book or ANY money with her. Which is when I get very mad, because I don't know how more specific I could have been, about being prepared to buy this pony!!

So anyway, I wasn't going to force her to do anything, we leave without the pony. The whole 4 hours home was silent! She did buy us McDonalds...

Now, they won't return my calls, email, anything! I can understand if I FORCED this pony on them, or even brought it up to them. THEY told me they were ready for this.

The really sad part of all of this is, they didn't come for their lesson yesterday, and they still wont return my calls, and their daughter is the one who suffers.

AHH clients drive me crazy!

Mo's Mom
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:34 AM
I think you did a great job being very clear. I hope the daughter can continue her lessons. Good Luck :sigh: getting the parents on the same page.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:43 AM
Love the title of this post! Belongs on a t-shirt! :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like Mom is trying to pull a fast one with Dad by using the kid for emotional blackmail. They seem to have solved your problem for you by disappearing. If they do come back and say they want to buy a pony, you'll need to have a sit-down with both Mom AND Dad.

Please tell me that you have a day rate for shopping with clients and that you told her this. In that case, send her a bill for your time. If you don't have a day rate, time to add that to your rate sheet!

Zu Zu
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:44 AM
How aggravating :eek:~ poor kid to be in the middle of parents who can not make a decision - on the bright side at least you had MacDonald's :Dsounds very good to a :lol: diet-er ! Jingles for your Sunday.

TSWJB
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Please tell me that you have a day rate for shopping with clients and that you told her this. In that case, send her a bill for your time. If you don't have a day rate, time to add that to your rate sheet!
she should charge a day rate. but since the people are not returning the calls i think that they will not pay the bill. that really stinks. what was the mother thinking when she allowed you to drive 4 hours with a trailer to look at a pony and then just buys you a cheeseburger! that is just plain ole rude!

Vandy
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:23 AM
And to think that people often complain about trainer sales commissons! :lol: For every person who buys the first horse the trainer shows them, there are a dozen more who don't, and the occasional situation like this! Unfortunately, I can relate all too well to the OP.

LaurieB
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:29 AM
My husband is always telling me to sleep on decisions. That's why I always carry my own checkbook with me. :lol:

(sorry all you got was the cheeseburger.)

goldponies
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have had this happen so many times I'm done looking! With me it's a Whendy's frosty & single w/cheese :)

RoyalTRider
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:03 PM
Was it at least a double cheeseburger?

lcw579
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
I just have to ask, how was the poor little girl holding up through all this? How cruel to take her to see a pony - with a trailer no less - have her like the pony and then come home empty handed.

Hope you got some fries with that cheeseburger.

ponyxjd
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
Was it at least a double cheeseburger?

With fries, a McFlurry, and a super-sized drink hopefully.

blackcat95
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:11 PM
I feel really bad for both you and the daughter... if she found out she was getting a pony and then didn't get it and it was perfect... :( at least you got some good greasy crunchy fast comfort food out of it.

BTW i think i am going to put your thread title on a t-shirt. GENIUS!