PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge to Everyone - Helping Haitian Relief

FlightCheck
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:56 AM
Here's a challenge to those of you who make some money from horses - from training, riding, braiding, etc.

Pick a day, and have your clients write their checks for that service to the Red Cross (or the charity of your choice).

I coached 3 and rode 1 yesterday at a schooling show, and my clients were delighted with the idea.

And it was a good "talking point" to raise with the younger students, talking about how fortunate we are to be riding horses today.

fordtraktor
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:22 AM
Wonderful idea! I an an attorney and did something similar -- donated one day's salary to Red Cross and Catholic Relief Services. I do think that those of us with expensive personal hobbies sometimes have to make an extra effort to remember the needs of others. It is easy for me to think about all the horsey stuff I "need" when others are going without food and water. Times like this are tragic reminders of what my "needs" really are.

HorsesinHaiti
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:46 AM
THANK YOU to both of you! That is a great idea.

shea'smom
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:46 AM
I am going to give a clinic here and donate the money to the Red Cross. Also agree it is a good way to bring it up with the kids.

RunForIt
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:47 AM
thanks to all of you ...

CookiePony
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:01 AM
LAZ is donating part of her fee for each lesson if the student promises to send a matching donation.

retreadeventer
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:06 AM
What a great idea.
Why not use this thread to post WHO is donating and what they are donating. It would be nice to give props to those who are giving.

VicariousRider
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:28 AM
FYI: The Humane Society and the ASPCA (and probably others) are coordinating/participating in relief for furry critters as well.

They are anticipating many similar issues as presented during and after Katrina. I know that some horsey people like to keep it all in the animal community... or donate to both types of charities!!

JER
Jan. 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
It's great to hear people are so motivated to donate.

The organization I volunteer with is on the ground in Haiti, working with a hospital to put together a mobile medical clinic. In case anyone's looking for an alternative to the IRC or the other biggies, I recommend taking a look at Remote Area Medical (http://www.ramusa.org/index.html) -- and they are taking donations for the Haiti effort. RAM is a terrific organization that provides free medical care and has next-to-no overhead or administrative costs. (RAM has no politics or ideology or mission other than providing care where it is needed.)

Also, if you can't give $$, you can always offer to volunteer for your local Red Cross or similar organization. When a disaster hits, the RC is flooded with calls from people wanting to 'help' (meaning they want to go in to the disaster area, despite their lack of skills) but when they're invited to come down to their local chapter to answer phones or do other unglamorous drudge work, then they're no so interested in 'helping' anymore. So please, think about this option if you want to help -- your local chapter would probably love to have a few hours of your time.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:17 PM
GReat idea! Will do. Thanks for the suggestion/nudge.

HorsesinHaiti
Jan. 17, 2010, 02:42 PM
good point JER!

so far, the Red Cross does not anticipate needing to do a special blood drive, planning on sending blood out of existing supplies. http://www.redcrossblood.org/

However, I know the surviving hospitals and clinics have no way to fully lab check as much blood as they need and certainly there will be need to send blood from the Dominican and Florida. It still wouldn't hurt if folks made an appointment to donate blood this week. That is another useful thing that individuals can do - to assure before there is need that there is enough blood available wherever it might be needed.

LAZ
Jan. 17, 2010, 04:33 PM
LAZ is donating part of her fee for each lesson if the student promises to send a matching donation.

I've had a great response from my offer to do this--nearly everyone has donated and it has raised over $300 so far. I'm carrying on through next Wednesday with it, I think by then I will have asked everyone at least once.

What has really surprised, and touched me, is that the teenagers have been so concerned and willing to help. Only one of them has said she "didn't have the money".

I've donated the the Red Cross (just from me) and this donation will be evenly split between Doctors without Borders and the Salvation Army, which both have excellent dollars to donation ratios (whatever that is called!).

My heart goes out to the people of Haiti.

JER
Jan. 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1004), a website that evaluates the bigger non-profits, has a page up on the major groups that are in Haiti. You can see how they use their donations and find out some of the specifics of what they're doing.

scubed
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:56 AM
I entered a 5k run and they had put on the entry form a check box to donate to Haiti, so I matched my entry fee. I'm going to try to do $20 for Haiti every time I enter an event this season (and have done that retroactively for the events already entered).

HorsesinHaiti
Jan. 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Bump.