PDA

View Full Version : County Saddle Flap Question - or general flap question

amt813
Jan. 16, 2010, 04:17 PM
I am sorry about this I know there have been a ton of county saddle threads recently but I have a question:

I am trying a used County Innovation. It is almost brand new - probably a year old. I really like it, but it has a short flap.

It doesn't seem that short to me, but I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on what height of person a short flap is designed for. I know that it will also depend on the lenght of a persons leg (i.e. some people have really long legs and short upper bodies) - but generally? Just to give you an idea I am 5'5" (maybe a tad more) and fairly evenly proportioned.

Also, could someone give some pointers on how to tell if a flap is too short for my leg?

I would love to ask my trainer what she thinks but unfortunately she is in Florida and I really have no one to turn to.

Also just in case anyone is wondering - the price on the saddle is decent - I am not getting the deal of a lifetime or anything but it is probably a bit below average for a used / almst new county saddle. Therefore, I don't want to get it and just make it work - I would rather spend a bit more and get something that is right.

Thanks!

horsepoor
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:54 PM
I have a County Stabilizer that I ordered with a short flap, and I like the way it fits. I'm also 5'5" but I do have somewhat short legs for my height (I think my inseam is 30" if that helps). I've also ridden in the same saddle with a regular flap and it isn't bad either. My trainer is taller and the short flap almost catches on the tops of his half chaps or boots, so that can be a good indicator that it won't work!

Not sure how the Stabilizer flap compares to the Innovation -- but that is my experience. If you want to be really brave, post a photo on here and ask for opinions -- I'm sure you'll get all kinds of advice!

superpony123
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:21 AM
i am only 5' but i have a 16" saddle and a regular size flap. however, as far as proportions go, i have spider legs. i have a long femur, and i could probably even use a slightly forward flap.