PDA

View Full Version : Highschoolers in NYC who actively ride...help!

Beau Cheval
Jan. 16, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I was hoping that some high school students from NYC could either respond of PM me. I ride on Long Island, but that means I can only ride weekends. I am getting really frustrated with this, and I was hoping I could find some others who had a similar situation and could help me figure out how to make it work logistically and financially. I know there are lots of upper end barns like Nona Garson's Stacia Madden's Max Amaya's Frank Madden's etc. within 1 hour, but is it really do-able for a 5-6 day a week rider? Is there any way to make it financially feasible? (No, when I say Long Island, I don't mean I ride at Wollfer's or Toppings, or with Patrick Rice. Good trainer, not that kind of money) I also know about Riverdale/Hunter's Landing. Personal experiences (especially with Hunter's Landing/Joey Currais would be appreciated)
I know the NYC riding thread has been done often, but usually it goes to PM, making it an invalid resource for me.

Thanks!

Beau Cheval
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:48 AM
207 people read this and no one has any thoughts????
bumpp

Sakura Hill Farm
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:59 PM
I expect that you need more closely to decribe what kind of riding you are looking to do---what level are you---will you compete----do you have your own horse---looking for one?

superpony123
Jan. 17, 2010, 06:32 PM
a friend of mine often gets horses from joey, and she says hes wonderful.

ive seen some of his riders and horses/ponies at shows, and they're also awesome.

i dont have any experience with him myself, though

joiedevie99
Jan. 17, 2010, 06:33 PM
I know several people who did it, but none were in a school with regular hours. Two were at the Professional Childrens School, and another only had 4 days of school per week. It also depends on whether your parents are willing to make the drive with you every day after school.

NYCGIRL
Jan. 17, 2010, 06:48 PM
I rode six days a week while in high school while attending nyc private school. I also commuted back and forth from fl in high school during WEF as well as indoors etc. I missed a good amount of school for horse shows but made it work. However, I did have to cut back on having a social life but still got good grades. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

RyuEquestrian
Jan. 17, 2010, 07:00 PM
I used to ride at Riverdale when I lived in NY feel free to give me a PM

InWhyCee Redux
Jan. 19, 2010, 06:21 PM
You need to be more specific: Do you have a car, or a parent with a car who is willing to drive you 60 to 90 minutes (one -way) to an "A" barn? And do you have the means to commute via plane to indoors and Florida?

If not, my advice would be to get a position as working student and/or scale back your ambitions for now. I live in NYC and aside from Riverdale I can't think of any barn within 45 minutes of Penn Station/Grand Central.