PDA

View Full Version : Safety Vest Questions...Please Help?!?

TwoBlueRider
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:30 PM
OK, I know this question must have been asked a million times, but not by me, LOL, and I would really appreciate your input.

Some background to set up my question: I did some eventing when I was in college, up to about novice level. Not much competition, but for fun and self-improvement with the occasional schooling show. Then I was sick for several years, and when I got back into riding I got a horse that was much too green for me and my fitness level, and had a few ugly falls. Now that I have a suitable horse and am in suitable condition myself, my confidence is just shot.

I want to get back into some LOW level eventing, i.e. my highest aspiration would be novice. To do anything I obviously need a vest to even school little baby cross country.

One part of the problem is that I don't actually know how much I will actually do, which makes the thought of spending big bucks for a vest difficult. I would LIKE to do cross country, and would like to be prepared and have a vest so that I can do so when the opportunity presents itself. There will be some opportunites as early as March. To be honest, right now even trotting cross rails in the ring makes me nervous, but I am making progress.

I have a Tipperary that I used back in college that I had purchased second hand. It would technically provide me with a vest in which to school, technically meeting the requirement to have one, but would that be a stupid thing to do?

If I need to get a new vest, what do you recommend? I want one that will be comfortable and not interfere with my riding or feel like a boat life vest, because I think that it will distract me and make me more nervous. I purchased an Intec Flex Rider probably two years ago when I had the green horse (and never used it!), but it felt huge and cumbersome just trying it on.

My old Tipperary is comfortable...but if I do need a new vest aren't Tipperaries not rated to Beta 3 level like Rodney Powell's and Charles Owens? Would it matter for lower levels?

Thank you for your feedback!!!

sunhawk
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:48 AM
I ride in a tippererry, it has gone training level with me and schooled prelim, I've hit the deck with it a couple of times, and lived to tell about it.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
I don't happen to think the level you're riding should impact (sorry) the quality of the vest you wear. A fall from a horse is a fall from a horse and if your horse should happen to step on you during the accident, you should probably be wearing the best vest you can. :winkgrin: I also think a good vest helps the confidence levels. I LOVE zipping myself into my vest when I'm actually feeling like throwing up about the course I'm about to ride!!
I used to have a Tipp vest. I loved it, it was comfy and my colors. It did protect me in a couple of falls-it did get a nice hoof print in the middle if the back. Now I have a Rodney Powell and it is really my favorite. It feels awful when I first put it on but within 5 minutes, it has conformed to me and I forget it is there. I highly recommend these vests to anyone who asks!

sisu27
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:43 PM
Any vest that fits is better than no vest.

I had a Tipp, bought a custom Rodney Powell at Rolex, found the Rodney too constricting and hot so went back to a Tipp. I like the look of the new Woof but heard Tipperary will be coming out with a new Beta 3 vest so I'm holding out for that.

Make sure you like the way it feels and fits, whatever you get.