PDA

View Full Version : Is there a problem with 8' foot poles?

Hillside H Ranch
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Is there any reason NOT to use 8' foot poles to make schooling jumps? I'm in the process of making some more jumps for use at home, and 8' foot wooden poles are easy for me to pick up at my local lumber store. However, they can't/aren't interested in making 10' or 12' poles for me, and I don't have the saw to do it myself. Is there any problem I'm overlooking in using the 8'?

Elmstead
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
No problem. In fact, as schooling jumps they may be preferable because they take up less ring space and are easier/lighter to move.

The only problem you will have is if you also own full-size walls, gates, flower boxes, etc. These will obviously be too large if they are 10' or 12'. Of course you can always use a single wall (ie: half of a wall) under an 8' rail...

akhunterrider
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
I've been at a couple barns that had 8' poles for jumps and it worked just fine. Like the previous poster said, you won't be able to buy boxes, etc. for fillers, you may have to make them.

The only issue I've had with 8' fences is not being able to get centered once I started jumping 10' to 12' jumps again, but that may just be me.

TheBrownHorse
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
At my old barn we used 8' polls for our jumps and it worked out fine! They were great for using in the indoor, too, took up a little less space and really made us focus on getting to the center of each fence.

go for it!

Janet
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
The only thing to bear in mind (not sure if it is good or bad) is that the 8 foot rails are lighter and will fall down more easily.

Hillside H Ranch
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys; I am going to be making flower boxes, etc, too, so I will keep that in mind. I figured 8' could only improve my accuracy! Plus good points about taking up less space; the indoor that I ride in is a bit narrow, so that will certainly help. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obvious issue I was overlooking.

Montanas_Girl
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
Another advantage of shorter rails is that the jumps tend to look taller when they are narrower. So, when you go to the shows, the jumps will look lower and more inviting because of the longer poles. I've used this to my advantage on several occasions!