PDA

View Full Version : Half Chaps and spurs (question and vent)

Catomine
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
Annoyed. I've been searching a while for a decent pair of full grain half chaps, without ankle snaps, for under 150. Ariats are cheap and ugly, but the tack stores around here (Tampa Bay) seem to carry only Ariat and cheaper ones (Seriously, Ariat is NOT good quality, I wish they'd see it! I'm sick to death of these boutiquey little tack shops with no selection and over-priced crap. I want Dover.)

Anyways, I used to live in NH where Dover is, and my mother still lives there so she can get them for me. So, my question is, do I really need to get chaps without ankle snaps if I wear spurs? Or do you know of half chaps with snaps that don't get in the way of the spur? I've seen recommendations for Tredstep and GP, what others are good? I almost refuse to pay the price for China-made Ariats these days. I was not impressed with the quality and sent mine back.

Catomine
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
Also, if anyone down here knows of a GOOD tack shop around Tampa Bay, I will drive a bit to get to it. Most of the ones around here are way over-priced little boutiques. (Whip n Spur, Pat's Tack, JC Saddlery). We NEED a Dover down here! Bad!:mad:

TheBrownHorse
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
I used to wear spurs all the time with my GP and they never bothered me :)

klmck63
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have GPs, which are lovely, but let me tell you, it is a huge pain to wiggle those spurs on over top of so much half chap and snap. And, the spurs have stretched out a bit, so they're droopy on my field boots. I really don't mind Ariat, so my next pair are going to be Ariat CC half chaps, no snap at the ankle.

If you don't like Ariat, Treadsteps seem nice but I've never seen them in person.

ETA: I guess it depends on the person!

sweetpea
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
I agree alot of the ariats are not good, but the close contact are awesome , I have had mine for 3 years now, no zipper replaced yet but i do have a leather touch up the area wear the material is around the zipper. The leather is strong and break them in on a few rides and ahhhh. I do ride every day . 2 days a week I ride 4- 6 horses and then 1-3 on the other days.

klmck63
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:29 PM
I agree alot of the ariats are not good, but the close contact are awesome , I have had mine for 3 years now, no zipper replaced yet but i do have a leather touch up the area wear the material is around the zipper. The leather is strong and break them in on a few rides and ahhhh. I do ride every day . 2 days a week I ride 4- 6 horses and then 1-3 on the other days.

I'm so happy to hear that! They looked so nice in the store... So I took a gamble and ordered them :).

Go Fish
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:36 PM
I feel your pain...however, I think you sort of have to have the snap at the bottom to keep the zipper from riding up, particularly if you wear jeans.

It helps to ride in skinny jeans - less bulk. I prefer Wranglers because I can get them long and they don't have a big seam along the inside of the leg. However, they are really bulky around the ankle, making it difficult to get my chaps done up at the bottom.

I like the Treadsteps - give them a try. They seem to have a really tight fit which helps. Once I have them on, I have no trouble getting the spurs on.

How about keeping one set of spurs for half chaps and one set for boots? They aren't horribly expensive.

Montanas_Girl
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have GPs, which are lovely, but let me tell you, it is a huge pain to wiggle those spurs on over top of so much half chap and snap. And, the spurs have stretched out a bit, so they're droopy on my field boots.

I always just put my spurs on before my half chaps. Problem solved!

Meliora
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:02 PM
:)Tenny's Custom Saddlery is in Zepherhills (not too far from Tampa) and he makes beautiful 1/2 and full chaps. I think they start at $300, but the are worth it and will last a lifetime. They are custom so you can have them as you want them, and they are measured to you. Tell him about the spurs and they will take that into consideration. Good Luck with your search:)

akhunterrider
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:36 PM

That has solved all my problems, too.

joiedevie99
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ditto- spurs on before half chaps.

EAY
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:18 PM

Me too!

Alternater
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
Cat- I wear the Beval half chaps- with snaps and the spurs are no problem- you can call Beval and they will size you over the phone and ship them out.

Go Fish
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:31 PM

Doesn't that put your spur a bit low on your boot?

citydog
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
ProChaps (http://www.prochaps.com). Made in Canada, nice folks, *great* quality, tons of sizes.

Get a second pair of spurs to wear over half chaps and keep one for tall boots. If you aren't a tiny women's shoe size, try a "men's" pair of spurs to wear over chaps. You won't have to bend them out, and I've found them to be more comfortable.

jmvwiv
Jan. 16, 2010, 04:08 PM
I live in Tampa & agree a great tack shop is really needed here. I almost exclusively use Foxwood in Pinellas Park. Sue is really nice, knowledgeable.

As for chaps 1/2 I went custom. I wouldnt touch Tenny's for a million dollars, but getting yelled at for HIM screwing up my caveson will do that to you. I used Cindy Starr, she is usually in Ocala this time of year. Its a easy drive & you cant catch some of the show if you arent already showing there.

Hunter Princess
Jan. 16, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have the Tredstep deluxe's and wear my spurs over them because I ride one horse without and another with, usually right after each other so I need to be able to take them off. I have no problem getting them on and I have the rubber wrapped ones as well.

EAY
Jan. 16, 2010, 05:01 PM

I don't have that problem when I wear my spurs under my Tredstep deluxes. They sit right on the spur rests on my paddock boots.

BybeeGirl
Jan. 16, 2010, 05:47 PM
M. Decimas
Love them
No problem with spurs underneath.

ExJumper
Jan. 16, 2010, 07:23 PM

Nope. I wear both the Tredstep Deluxe and the Thinline and both have backs that are cut specifically so that you can wear spurs underneath them.

I wear my spurs both inside and outside my chaps. The Thinlines zip from bottom to top and only have a snap at the top. The Deluxe zip from top to bottom and have a snap at both ends, but even with the snap I don't have any trouble wearing spurs with them.

I do, however, have show spurs as well as schooling spurs. That's mostly because I like the nylon spur straps at home but have nice leather straps on my show spurs. I also use a wider variety of spurs at home -- at shows I usually only decide between two.

doublesstable
Jan. 16, 2010, 07:33 PM
I am super hard on my boots. Not that I don't take care of them, just seem to use them a lot. I love my Ariat half chaps. They are probably 7 years old and still going. I ride just about every day and I really do like them. I do not like most Ariat products. I purchased a pair of their breeches and they fell apart.

Here is the link to the ones I like.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35125&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=66&zmap=X1-35125&re=viewbuyrec

I wear spurs over them and have no issues.

Noctis
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hm never seen spurs OVER half chaps! I always put my spurs on first then half chaps and never had an issue with them being too low.

superpony123
Jan. 17, 2010, 01:17 PM
tredsteps. i wear spurs with them and it works just fine

they last forever, too

Against all Odds
Jan. 17, 2010, 02:13 PM
I second the prochaps, absolutely love mine! spurs fit comfortably over them and they fit great.

Tegan
Jan. 17, 2010, 02:21 PM
Catomine, Tenney's makes beautiful custom half chaps. They are based in Zephryhills (I think) and also have two mobile trailers they take to shows. They are usually at the Tampa shows.

It's just a matter of whether you want to spend the money on customs.

On the other hand, I had a few pairs of Tredsteps and the zippers broke. I've had Ariats since then and I've liked them more, although they do wear out quite quickly.

Catomine
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:26 PM

hmm, I've thought of that, but then spurs become covered by chaps and can't reach fat little horse bellies!

Catomine
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:28 PM

I was SO excited about the CC Ariats, BUT, was sooo disappointed how very annoying the back zip was for me! I cannot picture myself fighting with that every single day on each leg.. ohhh nooo....:mad: I don't know why but it took me like 10 minutes to put the damn things on.. I know it wouldn't work for me long term, too frustrating.

Catomine
Jan. 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
tredsteps. i wear spurs with them and it works just fine

they last forever, too

i think im gonna try these...... why not?

ika
Jan. 17, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have the Ariat CCs and yes they are a pain at first to put on but it becomes easier with time as they stretch and break in. However as people said since they snap at the top they don't accommodate more flared jeans or thicker boots. I had to buy cheap ones to wear with my winter boots.

I also put my spurs on before the half chaps and there is plenty of clearance at the back and they hit my horse's tummy just fine!

doublesstable
Jan. 17, 2010, 05:32 PM
The zippers of the Ariats are not exactly at the back, a bit to the out side with a velcro cover over the zipper. I never have issues zipping them up. The zipper is big. They come with a leather tab you can use to pull up the zipper but I took mine off because they bugged me.

I don't ride in baggy jeans so when in jeans which is not too often; I don't have issues with that.

A lot of boots now have a back zipper and I think they are wonderful. My dress boots have a zipper in the very back and I'm glad because I would never get my foot into the boot without a lace front (field boot) or a back zipper. I have long thin feet and cannot make the turn.... :lol:

GallopGirl
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:39 AM
I love my Tredsteps. I had a pair of GPs and I found that they stretched out a lot, didn't fit well, etc. I had to custom order mine from Dover in a 14 calf and 18 length. I think it was a Small, XXTall or something ridiculous. I've had them almost two years and not even a repair on them yet. I wear mine with breeches all the time, so not sure what to tell you about the jeans. I don't like wearing jeans while riding in my saddle.

I put my spurs on before my half chaps. Works like a charm. I can get them on or off by just unzipping the half chaps a little way.

Montanas_Girl
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:06 PM

Not at all. The spur sits on the spur rest, and the bottom of the half chap is just above that.

Since the half chap ends before the spur, I also don't have any problem with my spur being able to reach my horse - even when I used little Tom Thumb spurs, that wasn't an issue.

I ride in the Ariat Terrain half chaps - the ones that are ventilated. The snap at the bottom is extremely difficult to close, but other than that, I love them. They have taken a lot of abuse and are still going strong five years later.

nlk
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:26 PM

Me too!!

Nickelodian
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have Elite GP half chaps. I wear spurs both over and under. Both have worked fine. Under looks better, but if I'm planning on riding 3-4 in one day I'll put them over so I don't have to take my chaps on and off.

see u at x
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:27 PM

Yup. I have Tredsteps and they come up high enough above my heel that my spurs fit underneath them perfectly.

Dakotawyatt
Jan. 19, 2010, 09:55 PM
Yup. I have Tredsteps and they come up high enough above my heel that my spurs fit underneath them perfectly.

Lol, I've had the Grand Prix half chaps, and have always worn my spurs over because the chaps come down so low in the back. It took a long time to wrestle them over the chaps, but I've finally "broken them in".

Now, I have the Tredsteps, and wondered why the back was cut so high ... DUH! I put my spurs on under the half chaps today and they were PERFECT.:yes: Now I need to get some pliers and make the spurs tighter!

BTW, LOVE the Tredsteps. I had to buy the GP's so tight, my calves throbbed. Also, the zipper was always difficult, and the leather has flaked off the elastic part. The Tredsteps zip easily, look great, and are SO nice and grippy!

starrysky
Jan. 20, 2010, 05:47 PM

Me, too!:yes:

kayfry
Jan. 23, 2010, 10:12 PM
Prochaps! No snap at the ankle, or at the top, and the zipper stays put just fine. I wear the spur over, not under, because the chaps come down pretty far in back, and also I want to be able to take them off during the ride before I jump. Prochaps are awesome, fit great.

Bluehorsesjp
Jan. 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
hmm, I've thought of that, but then spurs become covered by chaps and can't reach fat little horse bellies!

Not with Treadsteps.
There is plenty of room for your spurs. Mine rest right on my spurs rests. I also wear my spurs both ways, on top of the half chaps and under. I never even realized there was a problem with it. :D

Pony Soprano
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:13 AM
Tredsteps and Rectilgne are both really nice and spurs fit over easily.

I don't like spurs under because not all of my horses go with spurs and I don't want to have to put my chaps on and off all day.

Foxwood has a nice selection and have great customer service. Tenney's does have twice yearly sales where their custom chaps are significantly discounted. They are also the ones that make the customs for Bevals and Hadfields.