PDA

View Full Version : Morgantown, WV

hrzcrz
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
I am going to be moving to Morgantown, WV. Any suggestions on a good place for hunter lesson? I would also need a place that has lesson horses.

Kenike
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
There's a few places, but I'll recommend Michelle Koury's place in Morgantown (blanking on the farm name right now). Just be aware she's a little expensive.
Otherwise I'd suggest you make the journey to Pittsburgh. Some really fantastic barns & trainers up there, and it's worth the drive.

You may be tempted, but I'd suggest not riding at or with the barns in the Uniontown, PA area, just across the state line. They look good on the surface, but they're lacking in knowledge and full of gossip about every single barn in the entire area. I mean ridiculously so.

Good luck! It's not a bad area, but it certainly can be tough. I moved to my present location from there, it's truly a different world....which isn't a bad thing :)

pwynnnorman
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:11 PM
I second Michelle. She is experienced, versatile, articulate, and ethical.

starlitlaughter
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:58 PM
I rode and boarded with Michele Khoury a couple of years ago when I was at WVU and on the equestrian team. While she may be a bit pricey, she is very good, and both my horse and I learned a lot in our time with her. She has an indoor ring (a rarity in that part of the state), and her horses are well taken care of. The name of her place is Valley Ridge Farm, which is actually in Masontown but not far from downtown - maybe 20 mins or so. I believe she might have a waiting list if you're looking for a place to board also. I do know that she ended her contract last year as the successful longtime coach of the WVU equestrian team.

It's sort of slim pickens for reputable places to ride/board within a reasonable distance of Morgantown. Several of my friends boarded in Clarksburg (about 45 mins south), others went as far as Pittsburgh. The local tack shop recently closed, but I still keep in touch with the owner on a regular basis and she's always good for information about the local horse happenings, so if you want more information I could put you in touch with her.

Are you moving to Morgantown to attend the university?

hrzcrz
Jan. 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm actually moving with my boyfriend who will be attending WVU for law school. I'm just tagging along and hoping to keep up with riding. Currently I don't have a horse, so I am just looking for a good instructor and lesson horses. Maybe if all goes good I may consider leasing.

2 tbs
Jan. 24, 2010, 10:51 PM
I'll 2nd (or 4th :winkgrin: ) Michelle! She brings some riders up to our local schooling shows in Washington County PA (Mingo Creek Farms) and attends other shows throughout PA with certain riders. I've never ridden with her but I'm around her quite a bit throughout the show season--nothing bad to say at all! :D

Parker_Rider
Jan. 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
Well, can't say anything about the barns, but watch out for those burning couches ;)

kateh
Jan. 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
Another for Michelle Koury. Having ridden against her team at her farm, I can tell you Valley Ridge Farm has nice facilities and some good school horses. I'm not sure why she and the WVU team split (or who's decision it was), but I always thought she did a very good job preparing her riders.

Rocky
Jan. 27, 2010, 01:49 AM
Bumping this so Michele can find it

monalisa
Jan. 27, 2010, 10:50 AM
Morgantown is not a horsey area at all. Pittsburgh has much more to offer if you want lessons, shows, and choice. Do not go anywhere that does not have an indoor. You won't be able to ride for half the year due to the bad weather.

PM if you want more information.

Rocky
Jan. 27, 2010, 01:16 PM
hrzcrz-I sent you a pm

valleyr
Mar. 10, 2010, 09:21 AM
I am going to be moving to Morgantown, WV. Any suggestions on a good place for hunter lesson? I would also need a place that has lesson horses.

VAlley Ridge FArm
www.valleuridgefarm.net