PDA

View Full Version : Bruno Delgrange Saddles

MyFancyHunterPony
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
I currently have a 2004 PJ model but I am selling it as it hurts my bottom. I had the rep out today to fit me for a new one and the original model is much more comfy for me so I am considering buying a custom new one.

Anyone have any insight on the saddle? Likes or dislikes?

I was also considering Devoucoux until I read an old thread and about 50% of people said they were very narrow. I do not want a Childeric, had one and it was awful. I was also thinking Antares.

LovesHorses
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:09 AM
Are you getting one of the fabulous new custom ones? I LOVE mine. I had 3 Antares and 2 Devoucouxs. This is a far better, more comfortable and balanced saddle. Is the rep either Paul Rochettee or his son, Kris? They are the best!

Go Fish
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
I have an Original...mine's pretty old, maybe a 2003 or 2004 model? I wasn't aware that DelGrange still made them. What would you like to know about it? Mine was semi-custom...I needed a very forward flap. I did have to wait quite a while for it...maybe 4 months?

I think the Antares would be a good one to try - have you considered the CWD? I rode in one a while back and liked it a lot. My trainer is riding in these now and he's extremely fussy. He does like my saddle, though.

Stay away from the Tad Coffins if your butt hurts...nice saddle but hard as a rock. I have one for my mare but I don't like it.

indygirl2560
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:25 AM
I have a '93 Delgrange that I absolutely love. It's not overly cushy but it's pretty comfortable to ride in and puts my legs in a good position. I've been on the hunt for another one, since the one I have now is too small for my legs. Because it needs the knee rolls repaired before I can sell it for a decent price, my friend put me in contact with Paul and Sylvie Rochettee and they've been very helpful. I'm sending my saddle to their repair guy next week so we'll see how it goes. I would definitely buy a Delgrange again just based on their customer service! Another thing I love is that my saddle is almost 20 years old, yet, because it's been taken care of, looks only a few years old! I do think that Delgrange saddles(at least the older ones) run small in the seat though.

superpony123
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:30 AM
i have a devoucoux, but it fits A LOT of horses and ponies including some wide ones, i've found. i do recommend that if you choose to get a dev, DO NOT GO CUSTOM! thats where the horror stories come from. i bought mine used and had a perfect transaction.

there are several bruno delgranges in the barn, and while ive never sat in them, they all are very nice saddles and their owners love them. they look equally as comfortable as my devoucoux. i'd say theyre perfectly comparable as far as quality goes. its just a matter of what fits your horse.

i also suggest looking into CWD and county.

Rubs Not Pats
Jan. 16, 2010, 05:23 AM
I have a new Virtuose, out of calf. I ride in jeans every day and have had it for about 4 months. Not a scratch on it. It turns out that it does not fit me 100% correctly and no questions asked, it is being replaced with a brand new one. I was riding in an older PJ before and I loved it. This is not as comfortable as the older PJ but you get used to it and honestly it seems to give me a little more grippieness, without being sticky. This is essentially the same saddle as my old PJ, but in calf. Spend the extra money, it's worth it! I like it and have had good interaction with the reps. My friend has an Athena and loves it too! It is not as plush as the Devocoux. I use it with just a achooling pad on a horse who gets back issues and it's working great and has fit everything from TB's to warmbloods.

nelson
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:03 AM
I have a ten year old Original PJ that I absolutely love. I hope to get at least another ten years out of it! Good luck with your search.

MyFancyHunterPony
Jan. 16, 2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone! I am looking at getting the Virtuose model with a thicker knee roll and 3A flap. I will be without a saddle for 4 months...which isn't good. I'm going to ask and see if we can put a rush on it. I'm glad no one has horror stories to share. It seems like it would be worth the $4500-$5000. Gahh...saying it makes it sound like SO much.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:16 PM
I have a 2004 PJ Original 17.5" and it's great. I am selling it because I no longer need the wide tree. Whatever saddle I buy next will ideally ride just like the PJ with a little flatter seat. This saddle has been through A LOT of horses and it still looks great. I had it restuffed last year so now it's good as new.

Go Fish
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone! I am looking at getting the Virtuose model with a thicker knee roll and 3A flap. I will be without a saddle for 4 months...which isn't good. I'm going to ask and see if we can put a rush on it. I'm glad no one has horror stories to share. It seems like it would be worth the $4500-$5000. Gahh...saying it makes it sound like SO much.

They've gone up some, but not a lot. I paid around $3800 for mine many years ago.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 17, 2010, 12:55 AM
Love my PJ Lite- it fits me and my horse perfectly, is so comfortable, and is holding up beautifully! Another gal at my barn has an original that she just adores, she is the one who convinced me to get mine.

luvs2ridewbs
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have 2 PJ pros. They are pheonomenal saddles.

blackcat95
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
My trainer has an ooooolllldddd Delgrange that everyone in our barn LOVES! It's something like 20 years old (she got it 2nd hand), and it's super comfy. I've heard the new ones aren't as good, but that could just be because everyone loves the couch that the old saddle is....

theblondejumper
Jan. 18, 2010, 12:55 PM
Had the good fortune to ride in a PJ and LOVED it. If I could even afford one used I definitely would snatch one up.

RugBug
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty close to ordering an Athena (flat seat). I'm flip flopping between that and the Partition (half deep seat), so I may need Paul to come out again. Two other people in the barn are buying Partitions.

From my brief stint trying the saddles, they are very balanced and correct. Paul spent as much time fitting me as he did fitting my horse, which I appreciate. If a saddle fits my horse but doesn't fit me...it's worthless, IMO.

I'll be doing full grain as I want something that will last for many, many years. The grain saddles I tried were very comfortable, had just the right amount of stick and were still soft an lovely.

I'm really excited to get this process under way.

MyFancyHunterPony
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
I just ordered mine! The rep I dealt with was great, very friendly and helpful!

I am getting the Virtuose as I wanted a deeper than the partition and I am getting a knee roll made like the PJ I had. I am very excited and now I have 6-8 weeks to wait for it.

I LOVED my PJ but the rep said it was probably hurting me because they are designed by a man for a man. We compared mine to the demo I rode in and you could see the arch in the seat exactly where it was hurting me. So I basically just changed the things I didn't like about my PJ on my new one! So I hope I am in love with it when it gets here.

Thanks for all the replies!

Matteez
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:15 PM
I just ordered mine! The rep I dealt with was great, very friendly and helpful!

I am getting the Virtuose as I wanted a deeper than the partition and I am getting a knee roll made like the PJ I had. I am very excited and now I have 6-8 weeks to wait for it.

I LOVED my PJ but the rep said it was probably hurting me because they are designed by a man for a man. We compared mine to the demo I rode in and you could see the arch in the seat exactly where it was hurting me. So I basically just changed the things I didn't like about my PJ on my new one! So I hope I am in love with it when it gets here.

Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks for the compliments! I can't wait to be able to deliver your new saddle to you!

lauraware
Feb. 12, 2010, 01:06 AM
My mom rides in a PJ, and I love it!!! It's really old, and the seat is not super soft (but, it is also not the original seat, and my mom had the original seat replaced before I ever rode in this saddle), so it's not necessarily the comfiest in that sense, but the balance on it is amazing. My mom also rides in a devocoux, and I ride in an antares. I love my antares and my mom's devocoux, but I would say the PJ has the best balance.

JenMiller
Feb. 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
I LOVE my PJ light. It's been dropped, fallen on, rained on a million times, and been through wars all over the US, but it is absolutely the best thing I've ever sat in. I want to be buried with that saddle. I think the PJ Light is supposed to be more woman friendly. You can contact Bart Kenis 561-512-1485 at WEF this season for a fitting, or Kris around the mid/southwest303-910-5337.

I also have a custom Buffalo CWD and a custom Devoucoux. The CWD is comfortable, but didn't fit the horse it was specifically made for at all. It ended up working for another one of our horses, so that was fine. The Devoucoux works great for the horse it was made for. He needed a high wither clearance, which is very uncomfortable for me, but it fits him great. Patrick fitted that one, so if you go with Devoucoux, find him at WEF.

ILuvMyBoy
Feb. 12, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm selling mine on ebay and the auction ends today if anyone's interested! It's a 17, medium tree, 1994 model that's in great conditions! It sadly doesn't fit my new horse :(