PDA

View Full Version : Jr8 Helmets vs. Gr8 Helmets?

HeyJealousy
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:37 PM
What is the difference?

indygirl2560
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:33 PM
The harness. The jr8 is nylon and has a plastic snap and the gr8 has a suede/some soft material harness. The jr8 also has crossing nylon straps in the back vs the gr8's solid piece.

a_quick_one
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have a JR8, have tried both on. The JR8 has a nylon harness, the GR8 leather. I think the JR8 is smaller for the size - meaning I don't think the helmet goes down as far on your head (it's smaller compared to my old Hampton Hat, too). It is technically a kids helmet. Otherwise they're similar in fit. I'd try both on, but if you have a small head, I think the JR8 is fine (and half the price!).

HeyJealousy
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I was trying to decipher any difference in the catalog descriptions, and now that I look, the harness is definately different!

I wear a 7 1/8 in normal helmets. Think I can squeeze my noggin into one?

myrna
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:42 AM
The difference is also in the safety ratings.The gr8 has every rating known to man plus the better harness.I went for the jr8.and love it.

Highflyer
Jan. 16, 2010, 06:41 AM
I have the JR8 in a 7 1/8. It does seem like it sits up higher than my old Pro. Didn't try the GR8--it was too expensive. But I like the JR8, and use it every day and for events.

HER
Jan. 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
I have the JR8. I tried them both on and liked them both about the same so I got the cheaper one. The harness difference was unnoticeable to me.

pday09
Jan. 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
I tired both on and got the gr8, super super comfy and classy looking. It was a present so I wasn't picking up the tab though. ;-) It mostly depends on your price point, I don't think you can go wrong with a Charles Owens I love them.

ryansgirl
Jan. 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
From what I recall, the JR8 was designed to pass all the same safety standards as the GR8 but CO didn't go through w/ the actual testing to get it Kitemarked (like the GR8 model) - this in turn saves the consumer money. There are a few other differences like others have mentioned but basically the same helmet just much cheaper (and not just for kids either - adults wear them too) :).

(I do have two of the GR8 models - bought them before the JR8 came out - I love those helmets!)

HeyJealousy
Jan. 16, 2010, 07:31 PM
Sounds great, guys...thanks for all the input! I will *hopefully* be getting one here soon.

xitmom
Jan. 18, 2010, 11:39 AM
A word of caution... I recently bought a JR8 online and when it arrived I found it had a quality control issue. The emblem in the front of the helmet was off center. Yes, I did check that it was not my head that was crooked, hehe! I also realized that the middle suede panel on the cover was not centered on the helmet either. Everything was kind of crooked, matter of fact. I am sending it back. I will buy another one, but will get it from a store where I can inspect it first.

jackalini
Jan. 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
Love love LOVE my JR8. Fits like a dream, LIGHT, comfortable. And for me, who is bothered by things squishing or fettering my ears, the harness is perfect. :)

kgro632
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have the GR8, I love it, but as someone else said, I got it as a gift, If I was picking up the tab I probably would have gone with the JR8. But the GR8 is sooo nice and very comfortable!! I love, love, love it!

Tamsin
Jan. 18, 2010, 05:41 PM
Could either model work as a show helmet? Or is the GR8 harness noticeable and considered more formal/attractive/suitable for dressage/hunter/jumper?

Mary in Area 1
Jan. 18, 2010, 07:38 PM
I show in rated dressage shows in my JR8. Most people I've seen think I'm brilliant to have such a lovely helmet and to have paid so much less. The GR8 harness is just more to get sweaty. The nylon dries better.

PletchersMom
Jan. 18, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have the JR8, and it fits well, however I do notice that if I keep it on all day at a show, the top of my ears hurt from the helmet. But, otherwise, this helmet is very comfortable to wear for an all day event.
My schooling helmet is a Tipperary Sportage (old one) and I absolutely LOVE it (minus the padding issues on the inside)...but that is another posting ;)

jackalini
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:25 AM
Could either model work as a show helmet? Or is the GR8 harness noticeable and considered more formal/attractive/suitable for dressage/hunter/jumper?

I show in my JR8 and from the front, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the GR8. The harness on the JR8 is smaller, thinner, and I think less noticeable than the GR8. I have shown H/J in it with no problem - and I promise that if the judge is looking at the harness on your helmet during rounds, there are much bigger problems going on!!! :lol:

lcw579
Jan. 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
I show in my JR8 and from the front, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the GR8. The harness on the JR8 is smaller, thinner, and I think less noticeable than the GR8. I have shown H/J in it with no problem - and I promise that if the judge is looking at the harness on your helmet during rounds, there are much bigger problems going on!!! :lol:

Agreed! This is the helmet that DD has. She uses it at home and for events and has done some hunter shows in it. Says it is very comfortable. A good ride in the rain cleans them up nicely too. ;)

xitmom
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:58 PM
Attention shoppers... Bit of Britain just announced a Charles Owen helmet sale! GR8 is $219 :)

Phaxxton
Jan. 19, 2010, 03:19 PM
The harness. The jr8 is nylon and has a plastic snap and the gr8 has a suede/some soft material harness. The jr8 also has crossing nylon straps in the back vs the gr8's solid piece.
They fit differently, too. The JR8s only come in smaller sizes, and the GR8s come in smaller and larger sizes.

Additionally, the GR8s seem to fit a bit deeper. Even though the JR8s come in my size, they do not fit my head. They don't come down low enough, whereas the GR8s fit me just fine. (I'm sure others will have the opposite problem, where the JR8 fits nicely and the GR8 does not.)

amastrike
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
I tried on a GR8 a couple years ago and would have been willing to fork over the cash for it, but didn't like how it fit. I now have a JR8 that I LOVE. It fits perfectly--maybe doesn't come as low as others, but I like that about it. And the chin strap is a little short, I have to adjust it just about as long as it goes. Then again, I don't have to worry about it working itself loose, so it's not really a bad thing. So comfy and lovely!

carrie_girl
Jan. 19, 2010, 04:43 PM
I just got a JR8 and I LOVE it! So comfy, and it is definitely pretty enough to show in. Some have mentioned sizing, and I did find that I had to get a 7 when I usually get a 6 7/8.

badawg
Jan. 19, 2010, 05:41 PM
I found that the Jr8 doesn't sit as deeply on my head as I'd ideally like, but it does fit pretty darn well. The only gripe I have about the fit is with the chin strap. I had to let it out so far, that the buckle is like, on my ear and it is irritating! Hence the reason I only show in it. I do wish I could have tried both models on. I probably would have bought the Gr8 because of the better fit. But, I'm pretty happy with mine overall.